Non-motoring > A bit of a Holiday report. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 19

A bit of a Holiday report. - Bromptonaut
Meant to report something similar from last week either in a new thread or the old caravanning one.

We took our Explore 304 down to Longleat last weekend - arrived Thursday with departure planned for Monday. Weather was excellent throughout and while my 'Mr 'Ow Much?' friend from Yorkshire declared the approx £25/night outrageous I thought it OK. Well set out C&MC site with good level pitches for 'van and awning, 16amp leccy and all facilities useable except the showers.

Friday was Longleat. I'd last been there in the second year of 'The Lion's of Longleat' c1967. Lots more animals now. The Big Cats were frankly disappointing just lying out sleeping in the sun but the rest was excellent, particularly the monkeys who were all over every car. No damage though and they cleaned all the leaves out of the scuttle. Not cheap @ £35/head but good value we thought.

Saturday was a ride from the site on the Bromptons and a decision to extend our stay until Tuesday. Sunday took in Kilver Court Gardens in Shepton Mallet which were impressive though like a lot of gardens - including those at Longleat itself - a bit betwixt and between with bulbs etc done and summer stuff like roses barely flexing their growth buds.

Finally, on Monday, we rode part of the North Dorset Trailway which mostly follows the line of the Somerset and Dorset Railway. We started in Blandford and (after a bit of a navigational hiatus) cycled to the route's end at Spetisbury. Returned through the lanes on the other side of the Stour. Blandford was a trip down memory lane as my paternal grandmother lived nearby in Charlton Marshall until about 1970 and her brother and his wife kept a sweetshop and tobacconist at the bottom of Salisbury Road up to about 68/9. Found both the shop (now a hair salon) and gran's bungalow little changed.

A damn good break.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 2 May 21 at 18:02
 Messages Author Date
 A bit of a Holiday report. new Zero 2 May 21 17:31
 A bit of a Holiday report. new No FM2R 2 May 21 17:44
 A bit of a Holiday report. new Bromptonaut 2 May 21 18:00
 A bit of a Holiday report. new No FM2R 2 May 21 18:06
 A bit of a Holiday report. new Bromptonaut 2 May 21 18:19
 A bit of a Holiday report. new No FM2R 2 May 21 18:28
 A bit of a Holiday report. new legacylad 2 May 21 22:34
 A bit of a Holiday report. new Zero 2 May 21 23:02
 A bit of a Holiday report. new No FM2R 2 May 21 23:11