Motoring Discussion > Uber Drivers Are Not Self Employed Legal Questions
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 11

Uber Drivers Are Not Self Employed - No FM2R
>>I wonder how that's going to pan-out?

It's difficult to see how any of it is going to pan out, but I'm sure it won't be the way the drivers expect or want.

It will only apply to a subset of drivers, I think that's pretty much sure though the percentage is unclear. So now Uber will be trying to work out how to reduce the size of that subset - in reality I am sure they already know exactly what they are going to do.

The key points were that Uber set the fare and the contract terms, controlled ride requests, set the required acceptance levels and monitored the performance system. Uber could shift much of that, perhaps all of it, onto the drivers and the customer. They could then charge the driver a subscription to the call handling system, insist they set their rates in the app, though not state what those rates should be, secure in the knowledge that if they tried to push the rate up they'd get no business.

The court also stated that the driver was a worked when he was logged onto the app, not just when he was carrying a customer. I imagine that would go away if Uber shifted management of the customer contract to the driver.

etc. etc.

If the drivers believe they are heading towards a warm and fuzzy position as employees with holiday pay and benefits then they are sadly mistaken and unforgivably naive.

And since an employment contract brings two-way responsibilities, I'm guessing a fair amount of drivers won't want the new relationship either.
 Messages Author Date
 Uber Drivers Are Not Self Employed new Duncan 19 Feb 21 11:53
 Uber Drivers Are Not Self Employed new Zero 19 Feb 21 12:36
 Uber Drivers Are Not Self Employed new Bromptonaut 19 Feb 21 13:59
 Uber Drivers Are Not Self Employed new Duncan 19 Feb 21 15:39
 Uber Drivers Are Not Self Employed new Bromptonaut 19 Feb 21 15:50
 Uber Drivers Are Not Self Employed new No FM2R 19 Feb 21 16:00
 Uber Drivers Are Not Self Employed new Bromptonaut 19 Feb 21 16:10
 Uber Drivers Are Not Self Employed new zippy 19 Feb 21 12:37
 Uber Drivers Are Not Self Employed new Rudedog 19 Feb 21 13:18
 Uber Drivers Are Not Self Employed new Rudedog 19 Feb 21 13:46
 Uber Drivers Are Not Self Employed new No FM2R 19 Feb 21 15:22