Non-motoring > Non Fiction Sailing books Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 11

Non Fiction Sailing books - Crankcase
I don't THINK we've done this before - forgive me if so.

I do enjoy non fiction sailing books, always have. I therefore have a few jolly hearty recommendations, maybe if you need a present for someone for Christmas, if not for yourself. Even where the writing clearly isn't professional, the power of the stories overcomes that.

Pacific Ordeal, Kenneth Ainslie. Extraordinary peacetime story, towing some tugs. Sounds tedious, turns into an astonishing tale of endurance.

Kicking the Canvas, A A Bestic. Young lad joins the very last of the square rigged sailing ships in early 1900s, tells us about the journey, which isn't a very lucky one. Enjoyable snapshot of that way of life long gone, and the hardship and privations involved. Incidentally, he was also on (and survived) the Lusitania in later years.

Shrimpy (and Shrimpy Sails Again), Shane Acton. Chap know very little about sailing, buys a boat, starts in Cambridge, goes up the river just to try it out, then goes a bit further, then a bit further...

Ice!, Tristan Jones. Amateur sailor goes north, ends up really North, then the ice starts to come in...

The Bombard Story, Alain Bombard. Journey across the Atlantic to test his theories of survival.

Survive The Savage Sea, Dougal Robertson. Family out on a cruise, boat gets sunk by killer whales(!), and they end up in a rubber dinghy with not much else...

Again, these are all true stories.

Anyway, I'd be glad to hear any more suggestions, if anyone else reads them? Also, I wonder if there's any mileage in a "things wot I have read and think you might too" thread, akin to the "as seen on tv" one?

Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 2 Dec 20 at 10:51
 Messages Author Date
 Non Fiction Sailing books new Crankcase 2 Dec 20 10:50
 Non Fiction Sailing books new sooty123 2 Dec 20 11:07
 Non Fiction Sailing books new Runfer D'Hills 2 Dec 20 11:47
 Non Fiction Sailing books new Manatee 2 Dec 20 12:47
 Non Fiction Sailing books new Terry 2 Dec 20 12:58
 Non Fiction Sailing books new Crankcase 2 Dec 20 13:06
 Non Fiction Sailing books new CGNorwich 2 Dec 20 13:19
 Non Fiction Sailing books new Zero 2 Dec 20 13:25
 Non Fiction Sailing books new Runfer D'Hills 2 Dec 20 13:36
 Non Fiction Sailing books new tyrednemotional 2 Dec 20 14:00