Motoring Discussion > As near death as it gets..... Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 11

As near death as it gets..... - No FM2R
Driving back into Santiago last night on Route 78. a big-a*** freeway with two lines of barriers and a 50ft grass/trees gap between the lanes, reasonably straight but undulating over small hills.

It was late, around 23:30 and it was patchy mist/fog. If it matters I was about 2km from the Taligante exit heading towards Santiago.

Not much traffic and not the conditions for driving quickly. The speed limit is 120km/h but I had my cruise control set at 100km/h. I was gradually approaching another vehicle which I guess must have been doing around 90km/h.

I casually drifted out into lane 2, slowly overtook the other car and then slowly started drifting back into Lane 1. As I was crossing the white line an oncoming car appeared at speed in my lane. I'd guess we were closing at at least 200km/h.

He missed by about 1 metre. I showed no skill, took no action, I had no time. Had I not already been most of the way back into lane 1 it would have been head on and I'd be dead.

He must have come on at Taligante and been on the wrong carriageway for 2km or so. Not easy to do and difficult to see how it could be done by accident.

Very sobering, very unsettling and constipation not likely to be a problem for a few days.

Very, very scary and the remainder of the drive home, about 50km, was a very nervous affair.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 30 Jun 19 at 22:12
 Messages Author Date
 As near death as it gets..... new No FM2R 30 Jun 19 22:11
 As near death as it gets..... new Fullchat 30 Jun 19 22:27
 As near death as it gets..... new sooty123 30 Jun 19 22:28
 As near death as it gets..... new zippy 30 Jun 19 22:57
 As near death as it gets..... new tyrednemotional 1 Jul 19 01:05
 As near death as it gets..... new R.P. 1 Jul 19 09:23
 As near death as it gets..... new sherlock47 1 Jul 19 10:53
 As near death as it gets..... new R.P. 1 Jul 19 13:46
 As near death as it gets..... new No FM2R 1 Jul 19 13:54
 As near death as it gets..... new Zero 1 Jul 19 15:19