Non-motoring > Sale of Goods Act Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Cpt. Flack Replies: 9

Sale of Goods Act - Cpt. Flack
My wife yesterday took back to a clothes shop an item that was bought by our daughter a couple of days previous that was unfit for use. It was broken and had not been worn.

Under the act, she is entitled to her money back without question and although she had a receipt, this is not essential under the Act in this case.

The manager didn't want to refund until she filled out a form, giving her name, address and signature. My wife refused and there was an argument where the manager said she would not issue a refund until she filled out a form with her details. My wife stood her ground, and as the queue of peiople was gradually getting longer, it resulted in her getting back her money eventually.

It appears that whenever an item is returned to a store for a refund the store requires certain information before they hand over the cash. I have read the SOGA and nowhere does it mention that the shop must have your details before they refund.
She told the manager that her details were not required when she bought the item so why should she hand over details about herself for a refund, with receipt as proof of purchase.

Can any legal eagles here confirm whether the shop is within their rights to demand personal information for a refund or is my wife within her rights to refuse?
 Messages Author Date
 Sale of Goods Act new Cpt. Flack 7 Aug 10 12:49
 Sale of Goods Act new Bellboy 7 Aug 10 13:01
 Sale of Goods Act new Cpt. Flack 7 Aug 10 13:07
 Sale of Goods Act new Bellboy 7 Aug 10 13:12
 Sale of Goods Act new Clk Sec 7 Aug 10 13:20
 Sale of Goods Act new CGNorwich 7 Aug 10 13:20
 Sale of Goods Act new Zero 7 Aug 10 13:30
 Sale of Goods Act new Cpt. Flack 7 Aug 10 13:33
 Sale of Goods Act new Cpt. Flack 7 Aug 10 13:31
 Sale of Goods Act new - 7 Aug 10 13:32
Latest Forum Posts