Non-motoring > Literary Milestone Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 5

Literary Milestone - Armel Coussine
Piece in the comic today about Anthony Burgess's novel A Clockwork Orange by the novelist Irvine Welsh. It hadn't occurred to me that Welsh is so young that his first acquaintance with the tale was with the Stanley Kubrick movie. However I read the novel when it came out - and when I was young and enthusiastic - and thought it a very remarkable piece of writing, fierce but eventually moral.

Burgess, a brilliant writer, had a huge and varied output and deservedly became enormously rich. However he comes across like so many brilliant writers and poets as bigoted, paranoid, reactionary and self-regarding. He believed in the cold war which is represented in a future configuration in the novel.

But the whole social atmosphere of the novel is a sort of extrapolated fifties, very right-wing somehow. The movie is different.

I have a much-treasured image of my granddaughter Mirabel and her Cousin Lola posing in the very same pedestrian underpass that Alex and his droogs hang out in in the movie. London locations, don'tcha just love'em?
 Messages Author Date
 Literary Milestone new Armel Coussine 27 Sep 14 20:13
 Literary Milestone new Ambo 28 Sep 14 09:35
 Literary Milestone new Mike Hannon 28 Sep 14 14:38
 Literary Milestone new Crankcase 29 Sep 14 18:40
 Literary Milestone new Zero 29 Sep 14 18:42
 Literary Milestone new Cliff Pope 1 Oct 14 15:21
Latest Forum Posts