Non-motoring > Faulty Flymo - my next move? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bazzabear Replies: 12

Faulty Flymo - my next move? - Bazzabear
I have a Flymo Roller Compact 4000, which I bought early last year. I've been exceptionally pleased with it. However, now I have a problem. The height adjustment lever will not stay in place - at the slightest jolt it resets itself to the lowest (storage) setting, ripping the hell out of my lawn.
Having looked closely at the parts involved, I can see quite clearly why this has started to happen, and to my mind is is a definite design fault with the machine.
Having contacted Flymo, they have suggested that I return it to my local service centre, but said that any costs incurred will be mine, as I do not have the receipt, and therefore it is considered out of warranty.
I am considering arguing this point, because I do not believe this is a warranty issue, so much as an issue of the mowed not being built fit for purpose in the first place. A mower which collapses after 1 year of light use is not a mower fit for the job.

Before doing this, I thought I'd ask for your advice though. Where do you think I stand?

Here are some photos to help explain the issue.

Firstly this photo shows the height adjustment lever as it now sits when not under pressure.:
s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd144/bazzabearalbum/AO/?action=view¤t=DSC03757.jpg

And this one how it should sit. There is no spring, it is just a flexible piece of plastic, and as you can see it has weakened, and no longer sits flush against the body of the mower:
s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd144/bazzabearalbum/AO/?action=view¤t=DSC03758.jpg

And here is a picture of the sockets on the body of the mower, within which two prongs on the lever locate to hold it in place (you can just see them on the first picture). As you can see, they are made of very thin plastic, and have rapidly worn away:
s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd144/bazzabearalbum/AO/?action=view¤t=DSC03759.jpg

The combination of these two failures results in it not being able to stay in place.

Thanks for your advice!
 Messages Author Date
 Faulty Flymo - my next move? new Bazzabear 3 Jun 10 18:35
 Faulty Flymo - my next move? new Dog 3 Jun 10 19:39
 Faulty Flymo - my next move? new rtj70 3 Jun 10 19:44
 Faulty Flymo - my next move? new Bazzabear 3 Jun 10 19:58
 Faulty Flymo - my next move? new Bazzabear 3 Jun 10 20:15
 Faulty Flymo - my next move? new rtj70 3 Jun 10 21:04
 Faulty Flymo - my next move? new Bazzabear 3 Jun 10 21:09
 Faulty Flymo - my next move? new rtj70 3 Jun 10 21:15
 Faulty Flymo - my next move? new Bazzabear 3 Jun 10 21:56
 Faulty Flymo - my next move? new Kevin 3 Jun 10 22:49