Motoring Discussion > Driving in france Miscellaneous
Thread Author: XJSguy Replies: 16

Driving in france - NeilS
Don't forget your driving licence, copy of the V5, insurance certificate and if it isn't your car in your name, a letter from the car owner authorising you to drive it. I know this from first hand experience last year when I exceeded the 130 kmh limit on the autoroute and got pulled by the French version of Interceptors in their Impreza. Oh and some cash, €90 in my case was enough to see me on my way. They didn't check anything other than all the paperwork and they even asked to see something from my company authorising me to drive the car abroad. I didn't have GB plates or a sticker and although I had everything else including pda's list, spare bulbs and beam deflectors correctly positioned, all they were interested in were my papers - they were very thorough and my money.

I don't think the driving has changed much in France over the last 10 years. To me the main roads and autoroutes don't seem much if any busier. It is still a great country to drive through and the autoroutes are a breeze though the tolls are getting more expensive. Lane discipline on the autoroutes is good but if you delay switching back to the inside lane after overtaking for just a few seconds you'll have somebody nudging up behind you. Still too many stand -up loos on the autoroutes for my liking but the quality of food and beverage is so much better than the UK. Speed cameras aren't readily visible like over here but the road signs warnings of radar controlled limits are real as there's always a camera where there's a warning. You don't get much warning of road works, see the sign and it's not very long until you're on them.

Diesel is roughly the same price as the UK, unleaded is a bit more and super unleaded is crazy prices especially on the autoroutes.

Messages Author Date
 Driving in france  XJSguy 23 May 10 21:22
 Driving in france  Pat 24 May 10 05:05
 Driving in france  NeilS 24 May 10 06:44
 Driving in france  jc2 24 May 10 08:05
 Driving in france  IJWS14 24 May 10 08:33
 Driving in france  Boxsterboy 24 May 10 11:17
 Driving in france  Mike Hannon 24 May 10 12:14
 Driving in france  IJWS14 24 May 10 12:35
 Driving in france  Ambo 24 May 10 13:12
 Driving in france  Mike Hannon 24 May 10 14:29
 Driving in france  Zero 24 May 10 14:40