Motoring Discussion > First car failure of the year! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 10

First car failure of the year! - Stuu
Lovely and dramatic it was. Bombing along the back roads at 60, just heard a little tinkling sound, then a clatter and the biggest racket I have ever heard from a car. I knew what it was, perhaps the beauty of having owned a Charade before.
The exhaust had snapped where the pipe meets the Cat. Luckily the Cat has a curved edge so with a bit of care I managed to limp home 2 miles with the majority of the exhaust threatening to dig into the ground at any time, but it didnt - the leading edge is worn badly though where it was dragging the road.

Problem was, I had to be at work in 40 mins so a quick look showed the remaining pipe from the mainifold was secure and nowhere near the ground so I opted to slice the two rubber mounts off and wiggle the whole system off which I managed to do after jacking the car quite high. I can salvage the tail pipe section but the system is only in two bits and it is the expensive bit, maybe £180 or so, so happy new year Stu.

Drove it to work OK, its a bit down on power and the noise is epic as it is totally unsilenced - being a 3 cyl it does sound ever so slightly like a Merlin at certain revs, the trick to keeping the racket down is keep the revs up and go light on throttle. I felt very foolish driving through town, I dont know how these people with drainpipes on their cars can drive in public, I hated it, everyone looks.
 Messages Author Date
 First car failure of the year! new Stuu 3 Jan 13 17:10
 First car failure of the year! new Lygonos 3 Jan 13 18:01
 First car failure of the year! new Armel Coussine 3 Jan 13 18:12
 First car failure of the year! new Slidingpillar 3 Jan 13 19:06
 First car failure of the year! new Stuu 3 Jan 13 19:17
 First car failure of the year! new Armel Coussine 3 Jan 13 19:35
 First car failure of the year! new - 3 Jan 13 20:16
 First car failure of the year! new WillDeBeest 3 Jan 13 20:49
 First car failure of the year! new helicopter 4 Jan 13 12:44
 First car failure of the year! new Stuu 4 Jan 13 17:30
 First car failure of the year! new Zero 4 Jan 13 18:11