Computer Related > Broadband speed Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 26

Broadband speed - L'escargot
My broadband speed averages about 4.7 Mbps. In the general scheme of things, how good (or bad) is this?
 Broadband speed - Manatee
Pretty good in terms of what most people want to do I would say. Plenty good enough to watch streaming TV (I can't at 0.4-0.7Mbps).

I was at my aunt's last week and hers is usually about 7Mbps; the fact that I could stream TV instead of taking 2 hours to download a 45 minute programme, and that there's less waiting for software updates and emails to download is an obvious advantage, but I didn't see much difference in normal browsing.

Intuitively you might expect <500kB web pages to load in the blink of an eye at 10, 20Mbps and faster speeds but they don't usually, because commercial sites almost invariably 'build' pages from a database and that's what you're normally waiting a second or so for.

4.7Mbps is also a bit above the average actual speed across the UK according to OFCOM -

goo.gl/e8FE

'The future' of course will demand higher speeds for on demand TV etc so being ahead of the speed curve is no bad thing for this who have higher speeds. I'll just have to move house :-(
 Broadband speed - Zero
I have 8mb broadband, the router connects at about 7.2, and my throughput varies between 3 and 6 mb.
 Broadband speed - rtj70
You are all obviously referring to broadband using ADSL or ADSL+ here. At my previous address I had Virgin Media 10Mbit/s broadband (and briefly 20Mbit/s) and always got very close to the full 10Mbit/s regardless of time of day. Where I am temporarily staying I also have access to VM and that is also always close to 10Mbit/s.

When we complete on the new house I am possibly going to give BT Infinity a go - extra speed useful for work especially the faster upload speed. That ought to be close to 22Mbit/s download I am told.... we'll have to wait to see.

To answer the original question, depending on distance to exchange and quality of the phone line, you've got a fairly good speed for your link IMO.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 24 Apr 10 at 15:01
 Broadband speed - ....
How did you measure the speed ?

If you use speedtest.net the summary screen will show how your speed compares with other users of your ISP and choice of target server.
 Broadband speed - Hard Cheese

As RF alludes to there is a difference between what the router syncs at and the achievable download speeds, it therefore depends on what the OP is refering to.

Broadband speed - Duncan
FWIW My download speed with IE is 2.69, upload 0.33, ping (whatever that is) 57.

With Google Chrome it is down 2.93, up 0.34, ping 57.

That is with a bog standard TalkTalk thingy, the exchange is about 3.5 miles away in Claygate.
 Broadband speed - Iffy
I've just tested the free wireless broadband at the caravan in leafy North Yorkshire.

Download 1296kbps and upload 124kbps.

I imagine that's not very good, although it does the job for messing around on here, email and downloading the odd radio podcast.

Broadband speed - Manatee
>> I've just tested the free wireless broadband at the caravan in leafy North Yorkshire.
>>
>> Download 1296kbps and upload 124kbps.
>>
>> I imagine that's not very good ...

Luxury! Just checked mine at 693Kbps down, 364Kbps up. About as good as it gets.

And I wish I had a hideaway in North Yorks as well - Leyburn way isn't it? Never mind, got a few days in Hawes coming up in August, get a bit of walking in :-)
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 25 Apr 10 at 10:25
>> How did you measure the speed ?

Pointing the cursor at an icon on my taskbar tells me the current speed.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sun 25 Apr 10 at 08:32
 Broadband speed - Iffy
I used www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/

I think the site was a recommendation from when we were all on the other place.

Broadband speed - JohnM{P}
Fyi, broadbandspeedchecker has just returned 11,344Kbps download, 375Kbps upload for me (on Plusnet Extra)
 Broadband speed - smokie
19496 Kbps download, 628 Kbps upload. Yum Yum.
 Broadband speed - Zero
>> >> How did you measure the speed ?
>>
>> Pointing the cursor at an icon on my taskbar tells me the current speed.

No it doesent. It gives you a number that may be the current speed at the minescule moment in time.

you need to use a speedtest site.
 Broadband speed - Zero
I checked mine again last night - it seemed a bit slow at 3.3 mbs, so I checked the connection speed. 4.5 MBS! so i booted the router and it came back at 6.5 mbs, with the download speed upped to 5.5 mbs second.
 Broadband speed - Iffy
Speedchecktastc - I'm now back at Ifithelps Towers, so here's my Top of the Broadband Pops:

In third place, the carvan's wireless service: 1296kbps down, 124 up.
In second, my Vodafone dongle: 1624kbps down, 280 up.
Number one, Sky wireless via my landline: 6712kbps down, 250 up.

Curiously, the upload speed of the dongle is slightly higher than Sky.
 Broadband speed - rtj70
Sky must be capping it. I am interested in BT Infinity because the upload is upto 10Mbit/s. I work from home a lot so sending data also important. Normal users might not need this. And when I get my new NAS sorted at the new address I can download software ISOs (MS, CA, etc.) from my personal copy instead of their sites. CA is poor for downloads.

And I will claim 50% allowance for broadband too ;-)
 Broadband speed - Roger.
www.speedtest.net/result/793969909.png

Link for my result - I pay for 10MB, so for horrible Telefonica, that's not too bad.
I used www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/ and it gave 3440 Kbps download, 359 Kbps upload. Those figures seem to bear no relation to the figure of 4.7 Mbps that I get by pointing the cursor at the icon in the system tray. How come?
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 26 Apr 10 at 07:53
 Broadband speed - Dog
>>> How come? <<<

Same ere L'es - icon = 4.4Mbps

bb/spdchkr = Down 2104 Kbps. Up 359 Kbps.

Confused of Cornwall.
 Broadband speed - Zero
because that the maximum connection speed you have connected to the exchnage at, not the actual throughput. You are one of 50 using that connection at the exchange and you all have to share it. Plus frames are dropped due to errors or noise and for each frames dropped its re transmitted.

As I said Pointing at your icon is no guidance to actual speed.
 Broadband speed - Dog
>>> As I said Pointing at your icon is no guidance to actual speed. <<<

Why is it that I've got to log in *AGAIN* to give Mr. Z a tick when I've blimmin logged in already this morning :(
 Broadband speed - VxFan
>> Why is it that I've got to log in *AGAIN* to give Mr. Z a tick when I've blimmin logged in already this morning :(

Just because you had previously logged in, that doesn't mean to say you were still logged in when trying to give the thumbs up.
 Broadband speed - Dog
>>> Just because you had previously logged in, that doesn't mean to say you were still logged in when trying to give the thumbs up. <<<

I've just had to log in *AGAIN* for the 3rd time today.
When I log in to ebay, I can choose to stay logged in all day - I'd kinda like to see that here.
 Broadband speed - VxFan
>> - I'd kinda like to see that here.

I believe there are future plans for this to happen.
 Broadband speed - car4play
It's set to time out as default after 20 mins of inactivity.

As Dave says it will be an option to set it to all day if you want.
 Broadband speed - Dog
Okey dokey ~ Thanks.
Latest Forum Posts