Computer Related > Clock accuracy Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 9

Clock accuracy - L'escargot
How accurate is the clock ...........

(a) At the right hand side of the Windows 7 taskbar?
(b) Shown on the timeanddate.com clock for London? tinyurl.com/54oye

I want to be able to use one of them to adjust my watch setting.
 Clock accuracy - Bromptonaut
I'd go for (b) as most likley to be accurate.

The Win 7 clock should be OK too but depends on being set correctly and/or following a clock server. Could also be thrown by an iffy CMOS battery.

Either could be hours out if PC's location is not set/read correctly.
 Clock accuracy - Focusless
I use this www.lagado.com/tools/time which tells you whether 'your workstation's clock' is accurate or not.
 Clock accuracy - TeeCee
Either will be vastly more accurate than your watch. You can force Win 7's clock to sync to the internet time servers more frequently in the clock settings if you wish.

However, why not cut out the middle man altogether? Get yourself one of those nice radio-controlled clocks that runs off the Rugby time signal and use that as your master source. They're cheap as chips these days and it'll never be wrong.

I'm saving my pennies for a nixie clock with radio control at the moment. Always had a thing for nixie tubes and the kits are getting down to sensible prices now.
 Clock accuracy - Bromptonaut
The time signal transmitter was switched off and the masts felled in 2007.

The signal is now transmitted from Anthorn in Cumbria and can be difficult to receive during the day in south of England. Not that it matters, clock still functions wihout its hourly fix and will 'lock on' again during darkness when signal propagation is better.
 Clock accuracy, Amazon and serendipity - borasport
No idea wtf nixie is.

google it

Ah, so that's what it is. and prices are sensible are they ?. Right, let's have a look on amazon.

Ok, 1st clock 97 quid, then one at 157 - rahter more than I'd pay for a clock, but it must be demand and supply, as these are the only two nixie clocks on the list

but why is no. 5 on the list 'The Secret Five and the Stunt Nun Legacy' ? (not a Blyton original, 'A comic novel, a surreal parody of children's adventure stories aimed at adult readers in which, unnervingly, the time-travelling characters are aware of their place in the narrative, and the author treats them with curmudgeonly disdain. The plot, creaky and with more holes than a Swiss cheese, is the vehicle for the quirky and unusual humour which is packed onto every page. Our young-adult heroes, Betty, Daniel, Ricky, Amy and their dog Whatshisname, think that they live life on the edge, dominated by secret passwords and meetings. They have a tetchy relationship with Whatshisname, who might just be cleverer than they think; they also have a tetchy relationship with the author, who definitely isn't. The characters sometimes become uncontrollable. Ricky walks out of the book at one stage and, at another critical point, Daniel demands that his character should wear spectacles. A feeble attempt by the author to kill off his characters fails miserably. This book for adults is crammed with humour, occasionally a little cheeky, never offensive, but always unashamedly silly')

I'm not sure which appeals more, that or 'The Erotic Adventures of Mary and Betty by Nixie Knox' - but then I don't have a kindle, so the latter is out of the question

Clock accuracy - swiss tony
Does it really matter how accurate your watch is?

After all, you must be used to being slow...........
 Clock accuracy - devonite
For every degree you are west of Greenwich, technically you are four minutes behind, therefore where I am, when its midday at Greenich it`s 11.48 am here! - then theres your cmos battery to be taken into consideration,
 Clock accuracy - lancara
Use a sat-nav
 Clock accuracy - AnotherJohnH
surely nixie displays are a thing of the past...

...years ago... the last ones I used to look at on a working daily basis were in a counter showing, or were expected to show, 4.43361875 plus or minus 0.00000100

The long number was down to Dr Walter Bruch.

Last edited by: AnotherJohnH on Sun 4 Mar 12 at 06:54
Latest Forum Posts