Computer Related > IE9 and posting on this forum. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 115

IE9 and posting on this forum. - Pat
I'd like to make a plea to the management to try and solve the incompatability problem that the forum software has with IE9.

I know I can download Chrome/Firefox/A.N Other browser, but IE9 is the one I use perfectly on all the other forums I use, apart from Honest John.

I haven't posted on there since I was curtly told that the problem was my end and not theirs, which it isn't.

It's most frustratinghaving to use Mapmakers method of scrolling the page up and down to unfreeze it and speaking for myself, I post far less than I would otherwise because of this problem.

Whilst I accept that IE9 might not be the most popular browser, it stll has a great many users and anyone buying a new PC will get Windows 7 and have IE9 by default.

Imagine someone new to the forum having this problem making their first post?

Not good, is it?

Pat

IE9 and posting on this forum. - Focusless
Email the mods directly as well, just to make sure they are aware of your post?
 IE9 and posting on this forum. - rtj70
Doesn't Windows 7 come with IE8. You'll only get IE9 if you upgrade it - granted an OEM will probably have upgraded their build.

As you say IE is still a reasonably popular browser although it is losing share. IE9 again breaks things... does running it in compatibility mode make a difference on here? I agree you shouldn't have to but it might help moves things on.
 IE9 and posting on this forum. - TeeCee
If running IE9 in compatibility mode helps, then the code being served is probably the non-standard IE8 version!
This place certainly works a charm with 8 natively, which would suggest that's what's being chucked at IE.

TPTB should try serving 9 with the vanilla version coughed up to Chrome et. al. as it'd probably be happier.

To be honest, with modern authoring tools that automagically generate the various HTML versions and CMS systems that serve the right version to the right browser IDs, there really is no excuse for this sort of thing.

I'd vote for not supporting IE6 at all though. It deserves to die. The HJ problems are down to them serving all IE versions as if they were IE6.......horrors!
 IE9 and posting on this forum. - L'escargot
>> If running IE9 in compatibility mode helps, .........

What does "compatibility mode" mean?
 IE9 and posting on this forum. - VxFan
>> What does "compatibility mode" mean?

From IE help:-

Websites that were designed for earlier versions of Internet Explorer might not display correctly in the current version. However, you can often improve how a website will look in Internet Explorer by using a new feature called Compatibility View.

When you turn on Compatibility View, the webpage you're viewing—as well as any other webpages within the website's domain—will be displayed as if you were using an earlier version of Internet Explorer.

>> Doesn't Windows 7 come with IE8. You'll only get IE9 if you upgrade it - ............

My Windows 7 computer came with IE9.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 27 Feb 12 at 15:02
So did mine.

Pat
 IE9 and posting on this forum. - Zero
Its an issue with IE9, not this site. It happens on other sites. I dont use it, because its too buggy.

talk to microsoft, thats where the problem is.
 IE9 and posting on this forum. - Focusless
The site's designers still might want to redesign it to avoid the problem, depending of course on how easy that is. As Pat says, presumably they would prefer not to put off potential new members.
There has to have been enough problems with IE8 and now IE9 to drive users to other browsers. IE market share has gone down a lot.
I use a vast number of lorry driving and charity forums and sites and it seems odd to me that I only have a problem on HJ and here.

Some months ago I had a problem with Tesco.com and emailed them about it.
They replied telling me how to download Firefox.
I replied that it was easier to shop at Asda and the problem was mysteriously solved.

I'm an average PC user/shopper etc so the question is....

How many have come on here, been bugged by the problem and gone away without complaining?

It's totally unfair to blame IE9 when all the other websites I use, manage to accomodate it, buggy or not.

Pat

There are many websites were IE9 has problems. IE9 does not adhere to standards again. Although I believe it is better than IE8.

Some websites check browser and version and only work with ones supported. Natwest Online Banking for example refused to work with Safari 5 when it came out - the site said it was not supported. There weren't compatibility issues - the site refused to work for online banking with Safari 5 for a while.

Does compatibility mode on IE9 make a difference on here Pat?
I haven't tried it Rob, and that's because I'm stubborn:)

I will try it, but I do feel that if we all use compatibility mode neither IE9 of these site owners will address the problem.

...and that's wrong for any newcomer to the site to say the least.

First impressions count a lot, at least that's what I was taught many years ago when driving a van with the companies name on the side!

Surely Khoo systems are advertising their own product on this forum, simply by having their name at the bottom.

I would want that advert to be able to reach the widest audience possible, wouldn't you?

Pat

>> How many have come on here, been bugged by the problem and gone away without
>> complaining?

No-one.
How do you know that Z, crystal ball gazing again?

Pat
There won't be many who come on here that use IE9. There probably aren't many that come on here that are new visitors regardless of browser. How would they find the site apart of word of mouth?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 24 Feb 12 at 17:09
Ahhhh....but that is something we'll never know for sure.

If we made them feel welcome and not like outsiders, presented them with a website that worked on the PC they were using, there might be a fair few more than you'd expect.

Pat
They'd still need to find the site. Why would anyone come here unless they googled for help on something and found a post related to their problem/question?

Try a google for motoring forum or car forum and this site does not feature anywhere near the top.

But when we get new visitors they should be made welcome and the site should work. You're spot-on there.
Looking at these stats

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

IE still holds the market share.

Pat
>> Ahhhh....but that is something we'll never know for sure.
>>
>> If we made them feel welcome and not like outsiders, presented them with a website
>> that worked on the PC they were using,

They have and you and are using it. I don't need a crystal ball to say that no-one has left the site because of a bug in IE9. Common sense says they haven't. You haven't.

If everyone changed their websites to overcome ever bug in every OS the net would soon be an uncontrolled mess of non functioning stuff. There are standards.

Anyway I thought you hated IE9 because the favourites were on the wrong side?

Ok Z(zzzzzzz!) how do you know how many have clicked on here to post and found the problems I have and gone away?

Don't underestimate the power of friends either.......how could I lve without you!

As I said, I haven't posted on HJ since before Christmas, simply because I was told the problem was my end.

Having to get used to Windows 7 after Vista I decided to get used to IE9 as well, and I actually like them both now.

I'm trying to look at the bigger picture and see why we don't attract more users as well.

I agree with rtj about Google, I've just tried to find car4play by Googling a few key words and it didn't happen.

Our webmaster 'embeds' a few key words in the pages to attract the search engines I'm sure, although I may be wrong with the terminology.

Pat

Last edited by: pda on Fri 24 Feb 12 at 17:47
 IE9 and posting on this forum. - hjd
Woking Borough Council's planning portal will only work with IE, not with any other browser. That really is bad planning!
 IE9 and posting on this forum. - Roger.
>> Woking Borough Council's planning portal will only work with IE, not with any other browser.
>> That really is bad planning!
>>
So will Garmin's site for updates etc - and ONLY with the 32 bit version.
I keep IE9 32 bit specifically for that purpose!
>> Ok Z(zzzzzzz!) how do you know how many have clicked on here to post and
>> found the problems I have and gone away?

because their posts would have been seen on here complete with the problems.

The problem only arises under certain circumstances. If you type your post, without going back over it to change things or moving the cursor with the mouse, the post is complete.

>> As I said, I haven't posted on HJ since before Christmas, simply because I was
>> told the problem was my end.

So it happens in more than one place using different forum software, where do you think the problem lies?

As i said, you cant change standards to fix an individual bug in a different system, you get the bug fixed. before you know where you are nothing works with anything. Complain to Microsoft THATS where the problem is. If shell brought out a new type of petrol causing your car to go bang would you blame ford and tell them to change your car?

Everyone else has managed to post on here without getting the site changed (Even snailey) Except of course the huge numbers of people who tried and left.
>>If you type your post, without going back over it to change things or moving the cursor with the mouse, the post is complete.

<<

Now that's where you're wrong.

I still have to look at the keyboard when I type and when I hit the post button and look at what I've posted, I die of shame.
What happens is the cursor freezes and it types bits where it shouldn't.

Even snaily has had to devise a way round it.

Anyway, why the defence from you?

I asked a question of the management....have you been promoted, if so to what?

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Fri 24 Feb 12 at 18:16

>> I asked a question of the management....have you been promoted, if so to what?

Just trying to explain that its a fault with IE9 but clearly its wasted on your because your special.
Not special Z, just a customer.

I'm not special, I just represent the biggest amount of browser users likely to access this forum.

We appreciate a free forum to talk on but make no bones about this, without anyone talking here, there would be no forum.

If it is to be a succes and go on to bigger and better things, now is the time to get the nuts and bolts right to appeal to a wider audience as possible.

Looking at the Wiki facts and stats, I'm certainly not the only one who will have this problem.

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Fri 24 Feb 12 at 18:38
 IE9 and posting on this forum. - R.P.
Anyway - I'll flag it to Stephen. Unless he's picked it up already.
Thanks Rob, I'm really trying to be objective not negative!

Pat
I know Pat - I've sent the e-mail now. I know nothing - it may be a simple thing !

Sorry should have looked in here sooner.

Rob.
 IE9 and posting on this forum. - Manatee
Sometimes having to use a different browser is unavoidable. Occasionally I'll open a page with FF that doesn't display properly and I just switch.

Yes I did - no answer though..!
>> Not special Z, just a customer.
>>
>> I'm not special, I just represent the biggest amount of browser users likely to access
>> this forum.

No you don't. Both Firefox and chrome are in more widespread use than IE9 which is

>> We appreciate a free forum to talk on but make no bones about this, without
>> anyone talking here, there would be no forum.

And that what you are doing now

>> If it is to be a succes and go on to bigger and better things,
>> now is the time to get the nuts and bolts right to appeal to a
>> wider audience as possible.

And you cant do that by fixing MICROSOFT'S problem - would you like this site to fix your HJ problem as well?

You still don't grasp the fact about internet standards do you. You can't nor should you set internet technical standards one forum.

IE had plenty of problems on lots of other sites which is why its use is falling.

so i give up - go stick your finger in the dyke, the waters coming up behind you.
Zero....you don't do tact do you.

Most of the time you're a great ambassador for car4play but at others you don't have a clue.

It's exactly the reaction above that has seen me NOT post on HJ for months.....go figure?

Pat
>> Zero....you don't do tact do you.
>>
>> Most of the time you're a great ambassador for car4play but at others you don't
>> have a clue.
>>
>> It's exactly the reaction above that has seen me NOT post on HJ for months.....go
>> figure?

So your blaming HJ and now Khoosys and now me for a Microsoft problem

Last time ITS b***** MICROSOFT PROBLEM - SHOUT AT THEM
 IE9 and posting on this forum. - FocalPoint
"Last time ITS b***** MICROSOFT PROBLEM - SHOUT AT THEM"

You're the one doing the shouting now.

"So your blaming HJ and now Khoosys and now me for a Microsoft problem"

Oh, get a grip! She's not blaming you for the problem, only your reaction, in spite of what you think.

And you are being b***** tactless.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Fri 24 Feb 12 at 19:56
>> so i give up - go stick your finger in the dyke

I tried, but they wouldn't let me. When I said I wanna watch instead then, they went down to Argos and bought me a Casio.
 IE9 and posting on this forum. - John H
>> We appreciate a free forum to talk on but make no bones about this, without anyone talking here, there would be no forum.

If it is to be a succes and go on to bigger and better things, now is the time to get the nuts and bolts right to appeal to a wider audience as possible. >>

It depends how much Khoo wants to or has to spend on making this site compatible with IE9.

In the meantime, note:

windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/How-to-use-Compatibility-View-in-Internet-Explorer-9

"If Internet Explorer recognizes a webpage that isn't compatible, you'll see the Compatibility View button on the Address bar. To turn Compatibility View on, click the Compatibility View button to make the icon change from an outline to a solid color ."

Thanks John, I've turned on compatibility view this morning as an experiment and we'll see how we get on!

Pat
 IE9 and posting on this forum. - Dog
I use windows 7 and IE9 on a desktop plus a laptop.

I use Chrome solely for this site simply for the auto spell checker on Chrome.

When I do use IE9 for posting on here, I have no problems whatsoever.
I use Safari on here mostly - on a Mac. On a PC I used to use Chrome but I tend not to use my home PC for much anymore.

I only have IE8 on my work laptop and can't update that or it might break applications for work. If I could try IE9 out I would but I have nothing to try it on really.
I would use IE9 all the time if it had an auto spiel checker like Chrome, ( I don't want to download iespell)

I didn't like IE9/Widows7/Windows Live Mail (especially the latter) but hey - you get used to it, eventually.
 IE9 and posting on this forum. - Clk Sec
>> I dont use it, because its too buggy.

I had some problems with it at the other place as well, so I started using another browser and haven't had a problem since.
 IE9 and posting on this forum. - FocalPoint
I use Opera nearly all the time and IE on the rare occasions Opera won't work. That's it. I don't know anything about compatibility mode or stuff like that. No problems with this site, or HJ, or most others.
 IE9 and posting on this forum. - Iffy
...I dont use it, because its too buggy...

So it's beyond the wit and wisdom of Microsoft to produce a browser that works properly.

It can't be the most complicated programming task, and they have some experience of browser production.

No wonder users choose to go elsewhere.

>> So it's beyond the wit and wisdom of Microsoft to produce a browser that works properly. >>

I believe their attitude is:

We are arrogant. We have the most popular browser. We have designed a new browser. Technology moves on. Design your website to our new standards or modify your old website to comply. If not, we have provided a "compatibility" button which may help your website users to continue using your outdated website. If you don't like that attitude, then go away and use another browser. It is your choice.

They have done the same with Windows 7; if you want to run XP compatible obsolete software, you can run them within Win7 in XP mode.

Note that they have taken a similar approach with Excel 2010. If your legacy files don't work in Excel 2010, their attitude is go and find some software that allows you to convert old files to be compatible with Excel 2010.

>> Note that they have taken a similar approach with Excel 2010. If your legacy files
>> don't work in Excel 2010, their attitude is go and find some software that allows
>> you to convert old files to be compatible with Excel 2010.

As I said elsewhere, with a bit of Googling I finally came up with this method of opening Works XLR files with Excel 2010. tinyurl.com/7dubulc Not a bad discovery for a septuagenarian computer duffer.

Text document Works WPS files copy directly into Microsoft Word 2010.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 25 Feb 12 at 14:26
>> Not a bad discovery for a septuagenarian computer duffer. >>

I think there must have been something wrong with your Excel2010 installation. It should have opened a ".xlr" file extension automatically, by default, without your having to faff around to associate that extension to Excel2010.

The original ".wks" extension that Works spreadsheets used cannot be opened in Excel2010.
As Microsoft state on their Excel2010 support pages "The following file formats are no longer supported in Excel 2010. You cannot open or save files in these file formats. Microsoft Works .wks Microsoft Works file format".

The ".xlr" extension used by latest Works spreadsheets can be opened directly in Excel2010.
office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/move-from-microsoft-works-to-microsoft-office-2010-HA010337946.aspx
Last edited by: John H on Sat 25 Feb 12 at 14:59
>> I think there must have been something wrong with your Excel2010 installation.

I take your point and just as a matter of course, when it's convenient, I intend to get it reinstalled by the vendor of my computer.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sun 26 Feb 12 at 09:46
I have IE9 and sometimes on this site the cursor freezes or disappears altogether. I discovered by trial and error that all I had to do was to click where I wanted the cursor to be and then just carry on as if it actually was where I had clicked. I just wish that all my problems in life were as easy to solve.
Just realized - We have IE9 on the computers in work - I pop in here when having a break, never have any trouble. Never posted from there though.
>> I'd like to make a plea to the management >>

Creative Director[*] at Khoo Systems says:

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=8655&m=195225&v=e
"I have to use all the browsers to test sites in - for the moment Chrome seems to be the fastest most stable browser for me .. "

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=8104&m=179479&v=e
"At the end of the day it's all about you guys the users so load times and being able to use it easily are the most important things and that it works well across all devices at all resolutions.

Seriously though any enhancements or things you'd like to see featured or how it works or parts you find hard to use then let us know so we can take it all into account. "

[*] www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=3&t=8104

That is exactly the reason I wanted to make the management aware there was a problem.

I have used compatibility view all day and it still freezes the cursor so that doesn't help.

It's annoying and frustrating, it also gives out the impression to those who arn't PC savvy that the forum systen doesn't work properly.

Pat
>> ........ it still freezes the cursor .........

If freezing of the cursor is the only problem, then do what I do. Click on where you want the cursor to be, and even though you can't see the cursor just carry on typing.
Give Chrome a try Pat, its a very good browser IMO, you could just use it for C4p and it (the icon) would just be sitting there on your taskbar for when you need it.
BUT....that's going down the rocky road to ruin Dog.

I don't need chrome for any other site I use, so why would I need it for this one.

Khoosys are rightly proud of the developement of their systems, and need it to go forward and appeal to the widest audience possible to make a good profit.

To do this, it has to work on IE9 as well.

Pat

Okey dokey Pat.

:)
 IE9 and posting on this forum. - Roger.
I'm using IE9 64 bit as I write this and there is no problem for me.
Personally, I use Firefox as my default browser because I like the huge number of add-ons which are available.
Adblock Plus, Greeasmonkey & Greasefire, TinyURL generator, paste email (no1 for me!), spell checker, optimise Google etc, etc, - I'd be lost without 'em!
OK - back to FF 10.0.2 now!
Last edited by: Roger on Sun 26 Feb 12 at 21:28
Pat,

On your computer, do you experience solely the one symptom of the cursor being invisible? By invisible, I mean that the cursor is still there but you just can't see it. If this isn't the case, what other symptoms do you experience?

I'm trying to compare the symptoms you experience with those that I do on my computer.
I have Windows 7 Home Premium and 64-bit IE9.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 27 Feb 12 at 10:11
>>I have Windows 7 Home Premium and 64-bit IE9. <<

I have exactly that system too MM

My cursor stays visible sometimes but refuses to move, however if I don't notice it and continue to type in wierd places producing gobbledegook.
Sometimes it dissapears altogether usually if I want to go back and correct a typo.

After you posted your rememdy, I have found that it works for me as well to scroll the page up and down a few times to get it moving again.

To Dog.....it doesn't happen all the time, that's what catches us out, it can be ok for instance for 6 posts, then freeze on the next three posts

Pat
>> To Dog.....it doesn't happen all the time, that's what catches us out, it can be ok for instance for 6 posts

This makes me wonder if it's not one of the ads on the page that is causing you issues. The ads change all the time and therefore the problem you experience is fairly random. Just a thought.

Not sure why it's this site and HJ only that you have problems with though.
>> I have exactly that system too MM

Or even L'escargot ;)
I do humbly apologise L'escargot and thanks Dave for pointing out my impending senility:)

Pat
I'm back using IE9 on my 64 bit jobbie for all posts, so will see what's a'foot.

(Also downloaded ieSpell)

Aha! - I put the cursor back onto the S of ieSpell to change it to a capital, but it wasn't visible - although it was there (like L'es sez) and worked OK.
>>It's most frustratinghaving to use Mapmakers method of scrolling the page up and down to unfreeze it and speaking for myself, I post far less than I would otherwise because of this problem<<

I'm just posting this to confirm (to myself) that IE9 is mighty fine for posting here, and ...

Tis so.
For the PC Sleuths,some more information that may or may not be relevant.

I always use the back button on any site I'm on and until a few months before Christmas I always had to hit the back button twice on this site ( and the backroom) to make it go to the previous page.
Suddenly, and as of now, I have to hit the back button three times to navigate to the previous page.

I did ask why at the time but never got an answer......

Before Xmas I was on Vista and IE8, now Winows 7 and IE9.

I've sat here winding the page up and down TWICE during the typing of this post and that makes anyone frustrated enough not to bother at all.

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Mon 27 Feb 12 at 13:28
Here's the thread

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=7294&v=f

Pat
>> I did ask why at the time but never got an answer...... >>

>> Here's the thread
>>
>> www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=7294&v=f
>>
>> Pat
>>

Was that because the next day you said it was all working fine?

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=7300&m=162347&v=e

Quite possibly so John, but it very soon returned and I assumed it was spasmodic as the current problem can be.

I understand that my method of using the back button may not be the quicket/best way to do it VX, but it works for me (apart from here).

That is the problem though.....the little things that don't work here but do work perfectly elsewhere, and mentioned by me not in the manner of a complaint, but more as a possible reason for not attracting more users.

Attempts to berate me for having the temerity to mention them isn't the reaction I expected from a bit of constructive criticism.

But it seems the norm to blame the end user of anything that doesn't work correctly these days.

Perhaps the management can become the Quality Control Team in Car4play Ltd?

Pat

>> I understand that my method of using the back button may not be the quicket/best
>> way to do it VX, but it works for me (apart from here).

The back button here, or on many other sites has never worked properly for me - as per the earlier mention of the page not always refreshing when using it, and then having to subsequently press F5 for the refresh to occur.

>> That is the problem though.....the little things that don't work here but do work perfectly elsewhere, and mentioned by me not in the manner of a complaint, but more as a possible reason for not attracting more users.

Not for one moment trying to berate you Pat, but there are others that use IE9 on here (and elsewhere no doubt) that aren't having the same problems as you. Could it be that you have a poorly installed copy of IE9 that isn't configured correctly? IIRC, you were having other problems recently with IE9. Did those manage to get resolved successfully? Were any settings changed that has created a further problem?
I installed IE9 last year on my old PC and didn't like it. I asked how to revert back to IE8 and that's what I did.

This IE9 came with the new PC bought just before Christmas and I haven't done anything to the settings at all.

As IE9 comes with Windows 7 as a default browser, it's going to be used more and more by those who don't realise there is an alternative, or who think a new PC should work correctly with websites, which to be fair, it does everywhere else.

I was too busy tring to get used to Winsows Live Mail to bother about much else....and I still don't like it.

Come back Outlook Express, plain, uncomplicated and did what it said on the tin.

Pat
>>I was too busy tring to get used to Winsows Live Mail to bother about much else....and I still don't like it<<

You're not alone there m8, Thunderbirds are go though ~ www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/
>> As IE9 comes with Windows 7 as a default browser, >>

?

I thought that under EU competition rules, Microsoft was prevented from making IE the default browser. The choice was/is supposed to be forced to be made by the user.

"... a ruling by the European Commission (EC), which found that Microsoft’s practice of pre-installing Internet Explorer on every new computer was in breach of competition rules.
Under the terms of the agreement, Microsoft will install an automatic “ballot screen” that will let Windows users choose between 12 different browsers. The ballot box, entitled “An important choice to make: your browser”, will be offered to Windows users ...
The anti-trust issues of Microsoft shipping computers with Internet Explorer pre-installed were first raised by Opera Software in 2009. The EC originally suggested that Windows would have to ship in Europe without any browser installed, but this was soon ruled out as impractical."

Found the official Microsoft announcement:

" ... The Web browser measures cover the inclusion of Internet Explorer in Windows for users in Europe—specifically the region known as the European Economic Area, which includes 30 nations. Under today’s resolution, Microsoft commits that PC manufacturers and users will continue to be able to install any browser on top of Windows, to make any browser the default browser on new PCs, and to turn access to Internet Explorer on or off. In addition, Microsoft will send a “browser choice” screen to Windows users who are running Internet Explorer as their default browser. This browser choice screen will present a list of browsers, making it easy for users to install any one of them. It will be provided both to users of new computers and to the installed base of Windows ... "

You will only be given the choice if you have your regional settings set to one of the following countries or regions:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, United Kingdom, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland

Therefore if you PC comes set up with, say, USA as your region, then you won't get the choice.
 IE9 and posting on this forum. - swiss tony
>> Therefore if you PC comes set up with, say, USA as your region, then you
>> won't get the choice.
>>

Oh gosh.... USA being the default setting, and most setups being done automatically using default settings........

Is there ANY PC's running anything other than IE without the end user changing things?
>> Come back Outlook Express

+1
Yes, I much prefer OE too.
 IE9 and posting on this forum. - -
Would it be so difficult to download Firefox, put C4P as the home page and then simply click on the desktop for here and only here reverting to IE for everything else?, never have a single hiccup with Fifefox for any sites, but i do run IE for downloads as FF doesn't always play ball.

I know sod all about 'puters but do like an easy life.
I can't help thinking that you are making life difficult for yourself. If IE doesn't work for you, move to Chrome, Firefox, etc, and give them a whirl.

>>I can't help thinking that you are making life difficult for yourself. If IE doesn't work for you, move to Chrome, Firefox, etc, and give them a whirl<<

From an earlier post:

BUT....that's going down the rocky road to ruin Dog.

I don't need chrome for any other site I use, so why would I need it for this one.

Khoosys are rightly proud of the developement of their systems, and need it to go forward and appeal to the widest audience possible to make a good profit.

To do this, it has to work on IE9 as well.

Pat

>>BUT....that's going down the rocky road to ruin Dog.

I missed that one.

Must cut along to Specsavers.
OK ... I've been using IE9 all morning on my 64 bit jobbie, and the cursor does indeed faff about,

If I click where I want the cursor to be, and it doesn't appear. I know its there :) so I just continue as normal.

As Pat quite correctly states - this would quite possibly put orf any 'incomers'.
>> I always use the back button on any site I'm on

Doing that can have the effect of the site you're browsing not refreshing the page for new content though.

Do you also use that method after replying to a post or composing a new thread?

That does seem rather long winded, rather than just hitting the up arrow (on this site, or whatever method other sites use), which will also refresh the page at the same time.

I don't even do that though. I either hold down the ctrl button and click on a post to bring it up in a new tab, or press the scroll button on the mouse (does the same thing). I do this with several posts at a time and once read / replied to, I just close that tab and move onto the next one.

Can't help with the IE9 problem though. Still using IE8, as my operating system (WinXP) is too old to support IE9 (with the exception of my laptop that runs Vista, but want to keep that as IE8 as well so everything is the same).
On January 12th VxFan said he'd draw Stephen's attention to the problem. tinyurl.com/6vbx693
Did he?
Last edited by: L'escargot on Mon 27 Feb 12 at 15:10
I actually said "If it happens again I'll draw Stephen's attention to it"

You then went on to say that you had a work around to solve the problem "I've found I can unfreeze it by clicking where I want the cursor to be and then scrolling the page up and down a couple of times. "

To answer your question, no I didn't follow it up. However, I believe R.P. has done so:-
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=9739&m=217304&v=e
>> You then went on to say that you had a work around to solve the
>> problem "I've found I can unfreeze it by clicking where I want the cursor to
>> be and then scrolling the page up and down a couple of times. "

This is my favourite solution." .......... if the cursor is invisible it still functions as it should do at the position at which click. I just have to ignore the fact that I can't see it."

I'm reconciled to doing that now because on reflection this particularly problem is very low on my list of the problems in my life.
 IE9 and posting on this forum. - car4play
Just checking a post in IE9
Just checking it now outside of compatibility mode.

As much as I dislike IE browsers, having been traumatized by earlier versions, I accept that we need to get a high degree of compatibility with the later versions, even if it kills us!

Anyone care to summarise what the key issues are and how to reproduce faults?

Thanks.
This is one ~

My cursor stays visible sometimes but refuses to move, however if I don't notice it and continue to type in wierd places producing gobbledegook.

Sometimes it dissapears altogether usually if I want to go back and correct a typo.

Thanks car4play!

The problem may be forced by going back to correct an error, that's when it usually happens to me.

If you notice it's the less PC savvy on here, like me, who are having problems and we have to proof read our posts and correct them before the pedants swoop.

Pat
Just playing around typing and clicking forwards and backwards to see if my cursor disappears.

So far it is behaving itself.

Is there anything else I can do to provoke it into behaving badly?

This is a vanila install of Windows 7 and IE9. i.e there isn't anything else on this PC. In fact it is a virtual machine running within Vmware Fusion on the Mac.

Maybe it is an ad, or some extra thing running on the PC. Now that would be quite hard to find.
.. lots of clicking and still no lost cursor.

It's a bit like taking the car to the garage with an intermittent electrical fault. All goes wrong for you and it doesn't play up for the garage.

-------------------------------------
Edit:

Is this the issue?
answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/disappearing-cursorsinoperable-arrows-in-ie9/539c446b-8961-49bd-8d4f-90a06d99093b

and

social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ar/ieitprocurrentver/thread/edc5c99a-effb-4a6d-bba6-4f72651625a4

----
seems to happen in gmail too for some people:
www.google.vu/support/forum/p/gmail/thread?tid=2bafce3c5ab7f975&hl=en

---------

From another site a suggestion:
"Try changing the pointer Scheme in the Mouse Control Panel, on the Pointers
tab, and then try changing back again, if you want.

It looks like the I-shaped cursor is either missing or not configured in
your current Scheme."

Does this fix it?
Last edited by: car4play on Tue 28 Feb 12 at 17:24
All three of the above links describe the problems I get but mainly it is link number 2.

Changing the pointer schemes doesn't cure it.

Pat
This recent discussion points to a problem in Flash
answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/mouse-cursor-disappears-over-ie9-menus/1dc1a8de-b8f6-49c5-b17e-9b764e2dc108

In this older discussion, flash was alleged to be the culprit again
forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1004&message=39462498&changemode=1

some other recent threads on techie sites:

stackoverflow.com/questions/9357030/ie9-cursor-disappearing-or-blinking-very-fast-in-text-fields

www.sencha.com/forum/showthread.php?160012-Move-cursor-doesn-t-disappear-within-IE9

forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2427869#p11736953

>> This recent discussion points to a problem in Flash

I did say above I wondered if it was the adverts. Which would mean Stephen Khoo can do little - can anyone test this for us? I would if I had a machine with IE9. Maybe I'll install a demo Windows 7 box later with IE9 if we have no volunteers.

An easy way to find out in some web browser is to temporarily block adverts. Not sure how easy on IE9 that is. Or maybe disable plugins in the browser although that might also effect the site.

I am not suggesting turning off adverts for all. Once the ad problem on here was sorted I turned mine back on :-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 28 Feb 12 at 19:58
I'm sorry that I can't today after kicking up a stink about it:)

I'm off on a mission to regenerate a DPF on the M11 and won't be back until around 8pm!

Tomorrow though, I'll be at your service all day.

Pat
>> I'm off on a mission to regenerate a DPF on the M11 and won't be back until around 8pm!

4am until 8pm to regenerate a DPF - that's a lot of driving. :-)
 IE9 and posting on this forum. - swiss tony
>> 4am until 8pm to regenerate a DPF - that's a lot of driving. :-)
>>

Sounds about right for one of those.....
>> 4am until 8pm to regenerate a DPF - that's a lot of driving. :-)

6 hours just to reverse out the yard ;o)
When tested on my PC, latest version of flash - 11.1.102.62 - cures the cursor problem mentioned here
answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/mouse-cursor-disappears-over-ie9-menus/1dc1a8de-b8f6-49c5-b17e-9b764e2dc108

I've downloaded the latest version this morning John and have just posted on another thread and it froze again....it's just done it on this thread too.

Pat
Eh, I've gorn back to Chrome now, not because of the cursed cursor - anyone with alf a brain like me can get around that one OK, I've gorn back mainly because of the excellent spiel checker on Chrome.

Plus the fact its a damn good browser.
Trying to post with IE 10 (version 10.0.8250.0) to see if it works... all seems okay and web site does load okay. I hate the new Metro UI on Windows 8!
I was considering downloading a preview of Windows 8, but I'm near to my allowance limit and am too tight to fork out a fiver for another 5GB (almost a bag of coal!)

I could upgrade to Plusnet Extra for £11.50 which would give me 60 bites of giga, but I wouldn't have a use for that really.

How y'al getting on with Windows 8 m8?
I only installed it in VMware on the Mac this afternoon. So far I hate the new Metro interface. Probably aimed at systems with a trackpad or touch interface.

If you really want a copy to try on a machine then let me know via the mods an address and I'll burn it on DVD and post it to you. And let me know if you want the 64-bit or 32-bit versions - I only downloaded the 64-bit one so far.
Thanks for that kind offer Rob, I'll have to investigate Windows 8 further to see what improvements/advantages there are over Windows 7,

My Novatech iFlame is 64 bit.
From what I have seen - I think they may be making some poor decisions on the user interface front. The Metro UI is meant to make it look like Windows Phone. I don't see the point.

The START button has gone too.

It is not meant to be installed on a machine for general use - it probably has bugs. It is for evaluation purposes etc. and aims to get feedback.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 1 Mar 12 at 17:11
Well it seems pretty stable, but as you say radically different user interface. You aint gonna jump straight from win 7 to this without some head scratching.

posted using Windows 8 build 8250, IE V10.0.825.00

Edit - But once you get past the shell its all the same stuff underneath.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 1 Mar 12 at 19:41
>> Edit - But once you get past the shell its all the same stuff underneath.

It is indeed and I wouldn't expect it not to be - I cannot figure out the advantage to the UI on a desktop or laptop. On a tablet or phone then yes maybe.
MS are probably thinking they can do one better than Apple at integrating features from mobile devices onto the desktop.

I personally hate some of the complete dumbing down of some apps on the desktop to make them like IOS. e.g. Airport Utility
How many people using Mac OSX Lion actually user the iOS inspired features like Launch control out whatever it's called. But that is better than Metro.
I don't.
>> I've gorn back mainly because of the excellent spiel checker on Chrome.

Someone as erudite as yourself shouldn't need a spell checker!
;-)
>>Someone as erudite as yourself shouldn't need a spell checker!<<

You cheeky young whippersnapper you! (I'll look up erude ite later)

:o)
 IE9 and posting on this forum. - smokie
" (I'll look up erude ite later)"

it's that stuff for sticking things together.
I thought it was a shakespear character.
>> Someone as erudite as yourself shouldn't need a spell checker! >>

He uses it to make sure that his deliberate misspellings are there.

Latest Forum Posts