Computer Related > Micro SD card Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 19

Micro SD card - bathtub tom
SWMBO's just bought herself a new mobile with camera and music player. It seems it needs a micro SD card to store music. I'm out of my depth here, but there seems to be different classes of card.

Any suggestions please as to size of memory for a couple of dozen albums, class of card and compatibility with 'phone? The 'phone's an Atlanta from Orange and the instructions are challenging.
 Micro SD card - Zero
> Any suggestions please as to size of memory for a couple of dozen albums,

4gb will be enough for a couple of dozen MP3 encoded albums. 8gb is your next size (and cost) up

>class of card.

Not important in this application, dont need fast cards. (higher the class number the higher the speed)

>and compatibility with 'phone? The 'phone's an Atlanta from Orange and the instructions are challenging.

According to the specs it takes SDHC so any micro sd card will do

www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=103205

this one will do fine

Edit - it may be helpful to have an adaptor so you can plug the card in other things.

card and adaptor

www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=107345

Last edited by: Zero on Sun 19 Feb 12 at 11:09
 Micro SD card - smokie
That one looks massively expensive compared to these. Obviously there are variables at work (e.g. speed) but rule of thumb is less than £1 per Gb.

www.play.com/Search.html?searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&searchstring=microsd+4gb

A guide to speeds/classes sdcard-speed-guide.articles.r-tt.com/
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 19 Feb 12 at 11:51
 Micro SD card - Zero
In what way is £4.49 or £4.79 delivered massively more expensive than £4.49?
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 19 Feb 12 at 12:09
 Micro SD card - smokie
Oh! Retract that... I'm sure I read it as £12 odd, must've misread it, sorry!
 Micro SD card - John H
double the capacity, same class 4 speed, with adaptor: £3.80 delivered at Amazon

Kingston 8GB Micro SD HC - Class 4 with adaptor

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B001CQT0X4/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Last edited by: John H on Sun 19 Feb 12 at 19:24
 Micro SD card - bathtub tom
Just got back home, thanks for the replies.
 Micro SD card - ....
What I normally do bt is stick in the maximum that the device will allow. When it runs out, it's time to upgrade...

I bought an HTC Wildfire S at New Year, came with 2GB I stuck in a 32GB Class 10 card. Stuck all music, pushed all apps that would go to card, still got 23GB and suspect I will need a new phone before I have a memory problem.
Last edited by: gmac on Mon 20 Feb 12 at 00:14
 Micro SD card - AnotherJohnH
Late again...

I got one of these 16gig class 6

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004J5CM9O/

£12.45 inc. del.

for my ZTE Blade/Orange Monte Carlo.

So far so good.

It's my understanding that some phones don't work with slow cards, and some struggle with cards bigger than 16gig.

Your mileage may vary, you may already have spent your shilling.. :-)
Last edited by: AnotherJohnH on Mon 20 Feb 12 at 19:10
 Micro SD card - AnotherJohnH
>>
>> I got one of these 16gig class 6
>>
>> www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004J5CM9O/
>>
>> £12.45 inc. del.
>>

Mysteriously gone up to £17.48 inc. del. since I posted the price above.

>> It's my understanding that some phones don't work with slow cards, and some struggle with
>> cards bigger than 16gig.
>>

I suppose I should have added I'm using a 1gig ext3 partition on the card for most of the additional "apps" as the cheap android I have is short of memory in the phone, so speed does matter if you're faffing about with the phone like a prepubescent youth.

Rooted and custom ROM, innit.
 Micro SD card - Focusless
Stepson would like a 32GB card for his Desire HD for holding films for watching on tour. This one looks ok - only class 4, but should be enough?
www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDSDQM-032G-microSDHC-32GB-Card/dp/B003HIWHN0
 Micro SD card - Zero
Yes it will be fine for video streaming off the card.

You only really need fast cards for cameras
ta
 Micro SD card - rtj70
But another reason for a fast card is if you change the content often (like copying over films) then it's quicker. My 16GB card in my phone is a relatively slow but I rarely update it.
 Micro SD card - Zero
>> But another reason for a fast card is if you change the content often (like
>> copying over films) then it's quicker. My 16GB card in my phone is a relatively
>> slow but I rarely update it.

Its a benefit for sure, but the gain is not much and its not worth paying a lot for
I started looking at class 10 cards, which you can get for under £30, and apparently they are optimised for large files - they're slower than class 4s if you are transferring lots of smaller files.

I'll check what class his current 8GB card is, and get a 32GB of the same class.
 Micro SD card - Zero
Any SD card is good enough for video playback and streaming, the data rate is surprisingly low, even at HD,
It was more the copying of the film between PC and phone I was thinking about. If it's a multi-gig file (and I don't know if that's the case) then it's going to take a reasonable amount of time, and using a class 10 instead of a class 4 should presumably more than halve that time.

But if he's used to class 4 speeds for both large and small files then I think I'll stick with that, rather than risk getting a class 10 which should improve the film transfer time but might adversely affect whatever else he does.
 Micro SD card - Zero
>> it's going to take a reasonable amount of time, and using a class 10 instead
>> of a class 4 should presumably more than halve that time.

No, its not as linear as that in practise.

Micro SD card - spamcan61
In my experience memory card speeds are about as useful as official mpg figures; there are just too many variables. Like Z says even HD video isn't particularly demanding in speed terms.
Latest Forum Posts