Computer Related > Why is my Laptop faster (download) than my D/top? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 11

Why is my Laptop faster (download) than my D/top? - Dog
Both fairly new machines - Lenovo Ideapad + Novatech iFlame running Windows 7 and MSE

Wireless lappie is 4 mtrs from new 'N' router

Desktop connected via 2 mtr Ethernet cable

Download speed is over 1Mbps faster on the lappie i.e. up to 4Mbps where as the D/top can barely reach 3 Mbps.

Should I purchase an aerial for the D/top jobbie?
 Why is my Laptop faster (download) than my D/top? - CGNorwich
Try the laptop with the cable connection
Good idear CG, I never thought of that :)
 Why is my Laptop faster (download) than my D/top? - Focusless
Just as a matter of interest, how are you measuring the download speed?
 Why is my Laptop faster (download) than my D/top? - rtj70
What speed is the Ethernet connection on the desktop connecting at? Although with your bandwidth for the Internet it should matter if it was only 10Mbit/s but it's probably 100Mbit/s.

As suggested try the cable in the laptop - maybe there is a problem with the Ethernet connection or the port it plugs into. Have you another cable to try?
>>What speed is the Ethernet connection on the desktop connecting at?<<

How do I check that Rob?

Why is my Laptop faster (download) than my D/top? - TeeCee
Click on the connection, "Speed" is the third thing shown on the monitor dialogue.

Or, under Win 7, run up task manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del or right-click taskbar) and look at the "Network" tab. It tells you the connection speed at the bottom.
That's a clever little gadget, thanks! ~ it's showing the Link Speed as 100 Mbps
>>Just as a matter of interest, how are you measuring the download speed?<<

Via Thinkbb's speedtest.
 Why is my Laptop faster (download) than my D/top? - Stuartli
My old desktop (Athlon XP 3200+) - finely tuned for maximum download speeds over several years - still beats the replacement Dell (Athlon II x3 435) by between one and two Mb at 16.5Mb to 17Mb against 15Mb...:-)
I didn't investigate my 'problem' any further in the end.

My bb connection often drops on my desktop pc, but never on this ere laptop (ah ha!)

I'll get a roun tuit one of these days, but I'm watching the birds on my feeders at the moment.

:)
 Why is my Laptop faster (download) than my D/top? - Stuartli
My Lenovo i5 Athlon A435 Tri Core laptop is slower than a Dell desktop; in turn both are, as I've mentioned earlier, slower than my old desktop....:-)
Latest Forum Posts