Computer Related > Finding a good laptop repairer Computing Issues
Thread Author: tyro Replies: 11

Finding a good laptop repairer - tyro
How do I find a good laptop repairer?

Would I be better going with a national company, and sending my machine off? And if so, which one? Are there any that have a particularly good reputation?

One am I just as well dropping it off in town next time I go in to Inverness?
 Finding a good laptop repairer - Zero
well typing in laptop repairs inverness brought up a raft of them

www.nigelgowencomputers.co.uk/
As you say, googling brings up several. Clicking on the links and having a look at their web sites was not hugely encouraging. The one you mention gives no land-line number or contact address.

www.invcomps.co.uk/about.html looked a little more regular.

www.cambridgelaptoprepair.co.uk looked a lot more impressive than either - but as a national firm, I'll pay quite a bit extra.

But paying extra might be worth it. My experience in life tends to tell me that there is a lot of truth in the saying "Don't judge by appearances; you'll only be right 99% of the time."

The point is that I know very little about computers and the trade - and trying to choose a laptop repairer who is both competent and honest is probably going to be a bit hit and miss.
 Finding a good laptop repairer - Duncan
>>
>> www.invcomps.co.uk/about.html looked a little more regular.
>>

They are still wishing punters "A Merry Christmas" at the end of January.

Where do your friends, neighbours and colleagues go?

>>They are still wishing punters "A Merry Christmas" at the end of January.

It's worse than that. The message is dated December 2010!

>>Where do your friends, neighbours and colleagues go?

Good question, but I can't think of any of them who have had a laptop repaired. I asked a local who knows a bit about these things, but he didn't really have much idea.
 Finding a good laptop repairer - Zero
let be realistic about this

your Toshiba A110 is an old laptop, its worth 125 quid max in good nick, 25-50 quid for spares.

You admit its not used much now, its not your primary machine, how much trouble, expense and agro do you want to go to to get it fixed.

Not a great deal I would suggest, certainly not worth shipping ot off to some national dealer.

Its a local shop job for 50 quid or its the bin.

Whats it to be?
 Finding a good laptop repairer - Duncan
Nigel G Owen seems to be local. Perhaps he works out of his spare bedroom and doesn't want his neighbours to know?

He's not Welsh is he?
 Finding a good laptop repairer - Pat
You could send it to Rattle.....

Pat
Quick update.

I selected one local repairer and one national repairer, and emailed them both with details of my problem.

Almost immediately I got an automatic response from the national repairer which said "Thank you for your enquiry. We want to respond personally with an accurate price along with all the services we provide to make this as pain free and as smooth as possible. We will respond to you within 2 working hours."

The local repairer got back to me with a personal email the following day, and we have had a detailed and helpful correspondence. It looks like he has got my business.

Update:

I took it to the local repairer. (OK - he was over 90 miles away, but that is local in these parts) He did the job, and I was very impressed by all aspects of the service. My laptop needed a new screen and he aquired one (£85 was what he charged, and I checked online, and that is the going rate) and fitted it (£30 for fitting) - which produced at total bill of £115.
 Finding a good laptop repairer - RattleandSmoke
£115 is very cheap for a screen, I charge around £120-£125 depending how much the screen costs and I have a hell of a lot of competition.

£30 is very cheap for fitting but sometimes it is an easy job, other times its a pig and I sometimes out source it.
Like I said, I was impressed with the guy. He was completely straight with me, and his charges seemed very fair.
Latest Forum Posts