Computer Related > Anti-virus for netbook Computing Issues
Thread Author: Mike H Replies: 10

Anti-virus for netbook - Mike H
I've recently bought a netbook, Asus R105D with a 1.6GHz Atom processor and running Windows 7 starter. Lovely bit of kit, can be browsing in under a minute from a completely cold start.

However, my question concerns anti-virus options. It came with a trial version of Trend Micro Titanium. Before I rush off and make it paid-up, I've done a bit of googling and found other tools that seem to be recommended to various degrees, such as Panda Internet Security and Microsoft Security Essentials. As it's not my main machine, I don't need lots of configuration options just good reliable protection. I wondered what other people were using, and how they have found it? My main gripe with the Trend software is that, whatever I do, I can't get it to automatically kick up reliably when I boot the machine up, it does sometimes but not others. Anyone else had this problem with it? I know the config is correct, I've had lots of experience in setting up PCs!
 Anti-virus for netbook - Pat
Microsoft Security Essentials on all three machines in this house and we never seem to have any problems.

Pat
 Anti-virus for netbook - John H
+1

Always Microsoft Security Essentials, according to the gospel by God Zero.

Anti-virus for netbook - Zero
>> +1
>>
>> Always Microsoft Security Essentials, according to the gospel by God Zero.

Specially on low powered netbooks.
 Anti-virus for netbook - Mike H
Meant to report back that I did install MSE on my netbook, and as suggested it seems to have minimal performance impact. It seems to work unobtrusively enough. Thanks!
 Anti-virus for netbook - devonite
Bit late now, but for future reference quite a useful set of AV test results here for the vmost common AV progs!

windowssecrets.com/newsletter/is-your-free-av-tool-a-resource-pig/

scroll down slightly.
 Anti-virus for netbook - Iffy
MSE asks to be manually updated on my netbook, but I think that's because I don't use the netbook very often.

Used to use avast, but that also needed attention from time to time.

Anti-virus for netbook - Victorbox
If you don't use your netbook for several days Windows Action Centre will warn you to update the antivirus pretty soon after boot up as definitions are out of date. MSE generally looks once a day on its own for any updates if it's on long enough.
 Anti-virus for netbook - TeeCee
Thirded. Does everything that the other free ones do, only without the incessant upgrade nagging and the feeling that something's got its foot on your machine's neck.
 Anti-virus for netbook - DP
Fourth'd (?)

I used to be a big fan of AVG Free, but it grew more and more bloated as time went on, and the last version I installed knocked the stuffing out of the machine's performance.

MSE seems to do everything needed, seems relatively lightweight, and as long as you're not using a hooky Windows license (perish the thought) and can pass the Validation Check, it's an absolute doddle to download and install.

Avast also used to be pretty good, but haven't used it in a couple of years. MSE has kind of rendered the alternatives pointless.
Last edited by: DP on Wed 29 Feb 12 at 15:03
 Anti-virus for netbook - Stuartli
Avast! is still very good and also improved over the past year or so.
Latest Forum Posts