Part Number - ST9120822AS

when the one iv`e removed is:

Model - 5400.2
part number - ST0120821AS

Tis for a friends Compaq Presario v6000

Cheers folks!
 will this fit? - Zero
Yer,

Hope you got a copy of the recovery disk tho. Or a windows cd.
 will this fit? - devonite
Thanks Z! - just an E-Bay buy, ready formatted and tested, so no Disks, next purchase is an ac power adapter, (for same) and Windows 7, can get both for about £80!
 will this fit? - Victorbox
>> next purchase is an ac power adapter, (for same) and Windows 7, can get both for
>> about £80!

Windows 7 upgrade is under £39 if you have a friendly student (son / daughter / nephew /niece etc) and you then just install the upgrade over itself using the well documented method available on the internet.
tinyurl.com/yasjbxl
and tinyurl.com/cowtkrw
Last edited by: Victorbox on Fri 16 Dec 11 at 12:32
 will this fit? - RattleandSmoke
If you do need the discs HP usually send them free of charge from France, usually takes a few days but it keeps it all strictly legal as you're not supposed to use your own OEM CDs even if it has a valid COA key.

As longs as the connection to the laptop is SATA it will work fine, if the existing drive has 40 odd pins then its EIDE and the SATA one won't work.

Victorbox - thanks! well worth looking into!

Rattle - Original appears to be a Sata drive, (no actual pins) that sits in a caddy, that has a Sata - coverter thingy to change it into a 40 odd pin drive !
 will this fit? - spamcan61
>>
>> Rattle - Original appears to be a Sata drive, (no actual pins) that sits in
>> a caddy, that has a Sata - coverter thingy to change it into a 40
>> odd pin drive !
>>
I've got two of those converters and their both unreliable, I wouldn't want to use one on a boot drive.
Anybody know anything about this?

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linux-XP-2012-Best-Windows-OS-NEW-FASTER-Edition-/380393954384?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58913f1c50

Linux XP 2012 *Best Window's OS* ~NEW FASTER Edition~
Last edited by: devonite on Sun 18 Dec 11 at 16:05
 will this fit? - Zero
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_XP

Its Russian, wouldnt trust it as far as you could throw it.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 18 Dec 11 at 16:10
cheers for that Z,
scrolling down through the "blurb" (my link) I was thinking that it looks like a perfect platform for those that are wanting to shy-away from Microsoft in favour of a Linux system, yet retaining a bit of familiarity.
I was wonderingv why i`ve never heard of it before.
You can download it for free some where no doubt anyway. If you want to try Linux try Minit or Lubuntu. I am a great fan of lubuntu, it works perfectly on my N570 1GB RAM netbook where as Mint or Ubuntu is too slow on it.

Sold two linux machines this week and it will be interesting to see how my clients get on with them.
I`ve had a play in the past with Ubuntu, and came to the conclusion that for me, it wasn`t "everyday ready" enough compared to Windows - things may have changed by now tho` so one day i may have a further play.

In this instance, im trying to get a friends lappy back in a useable condition, i`ve got it a new ac power adapter and a new hard drive, and am looking for a cheap O/S to put on it, it originally came with Vista, and as you said, you can get replacement discs from HP, however he dosen`t want Vista anywhere near it this time, and on top of the h/d etc he cant really afford £xx for Win 7.
Win xp (new, unopened, unused) sp2 disc sets are going for a song on Ebay at the mo, and that is the road he has requested that i take for now until he`s better suited to upgrade. I know your "not supposed" to use OeM discs, but im sure thousands of others are.
I simply explain that if you use Linux, it is pretty much for web browsing and basic letter writing only unless you are willing to completely relearn everything. For many people that is fine, the problem with Ubuntu starts when people expect to be able to use Itune and all that crap.
Latest Forum Posts