Computer Related > Netbook keyboard doesn't like Port! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 10

Netbook keyboard doesn't like Port! - BobbyG
OK, its my B-I-L's fault! Away in his caravan last weekend, buckets of drink having been consumed, he decides to bring out his Samsung NC10 netbook to watch some youtube funnies.
I moved my hand and managed to knock a full (wine) glass of port over his keyboard. Damn good Port it was as well!
We immediately turned the netbook upside down and the port dripped from between the keys. He powered it down.

Next day he individually removed all the keys, cleaned them with alcoholic wipes but when he put it back together keyboard still not working properly. Computer itself is starting up fine and working via the mouse but keyboard not working - I think some keys are and some aren't.

Anyone got any bright ideas as to how to rectify this issue?
 Netbook keyboard doesn't like Port! - Pat
Well, I suggest a claim on the contents insurance. They paid out on mine but it was only red wine and not vintage port!

Pat
 Netbook keyboard doesn't like Port! - smokie
Daughter spilt wine on a laptop and it seemed OK at first but soon became useless - sticky keys, network stopped working, so did some other bits. Needed replacement (repair was more than a new one would cost)
 Netbook keyboard doesn't like Port! - Zero
take out the keyboard, and soak it overnight in a bowl of distilled water. Let it drain and dry naturally.

Removal here

www.sammywiki.com/wiki/Remove_NC10_Keyboard

if that fails

Replacement keyboard here

www.laptopbits.co.uk/Database_files/Samsung_NC10_Spare_Parts.htm

Netbook keyboard doesn't like Port! - Pat
After claiming from the insurance, because they didn't want mine back!

Pat
 Netbook keyboard doesn't like Port! - Iffy
...soak it overnight in a bowl of distilled water....

Good helpful link from Zero.

Aren't the spare parts dear?

About £60 for a keyboard and £100 for a battery.

The Samsung NC10 is a decent netbook and a slightly upgraded new one would cost £250, then there's the hassle of moving stuff over.

So I suppose it's probably worth spending £60, if the water soak doesn't work.
 Netbook keyboard doesn't like Port! - BobbyG
Zero, its useful stuff like that that prompted me to invite you to this exclusive site! :)

Seriously, those are great links, I have sent them onto my sister (who is saying its her hubbies own fault as he takes the netbook everywhere inc the kitchen while he cooks! BUt that doesn't make me feel any better!)

Of course if he googles to find a solution, he will probably find this thread!!
 Netbook keyboard doesn't like Port! - spamcan61
I've rescued a couple of keyboards in recent years by soaking overnight in warm water with a little washing up liquid, then a few hours in plain water, then dry overnight in the airing cupboard.

If you do end up buying another keyboard make 100% sure it is the correct key layout, many laptop keyboards for sale are US layout or vaguely described as 'English' rather than proper UK layout.
 Netbook keyboard doesn't like Port! - VxFan
>> I've rescued a couple of keyboards in recent years by soaking overnight in warm water with a little washing up liquid

Not like this though:- www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mRaG9Ayj0M
 Netbook keyboard doesn't like Port! - spamcan61
LOL, thankfully not, but I did rescue my SE K750i phone after I dripped beer on it by removing the battery and running the phone under the cold tap for a couple of minutes, then drying for 24 hours. Took another couple of days before the screen cleared completely but it's all working fine now.
 Netbook keyboard doesn't like Port! - MD
>> Of course if he googles to find a solution he will probably find this thread!!
>>
You have already been told the solution. (Distilled)
Latest Forum Posts