Computer Related > Been Mugged send me money -- Scam Computing Issues
Thread Author: busbee Replies: 2

Been Mugged send me money -- Scam - busbee
Hope this is not a topic repeat. If so, you can kill it or append it if you wish, mods.

A few moments ago I received this email:
---
Hello,

I'm writing this to let you know, i came down here to Madrid (Spain) for a short vacation unfortunately i got mugged at the park of the hotel where i stayed,all cash,credit card and cell were stolen off me but luckily for me i still have my passports with me.

I've been to the embassy and the Police here, but they're not helping the issues at all and My flight leaves in a few hours from now but am having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let me leave until i settle the bills, I JUST NEED 2,600 Euro TO SORT OUT MY HOTEL BILLS AND BOARD MY RETURN FLIGHT BACK HOME. i promise to refund it back to you once i get home cause i still have some cash in my account but i cant access any here right now, already i canceled all my cards immediately after the muggers took my things off me!!! am still at the public internet library where am making use of the free internet access, i will forever be grateful if you can help me,Waiting to hear from you quickly because my flight leaves in few hrs but need to sort the hotel bills and please save me from been embarrassed.

Thanks.

XXX XXXXXXXX.
---

I had the XXX fellows telephone number, so I gave it a ring. Guess who answered?

The scammer had removed all his email addresses to make it difficult to email everyone to warn them. --- does a roll-back put them back? -- Probably not.

The authors email address name part was exactly the same, but the @ extension had been changed to be a yahoo one.

Take care.

Been Mugged send me money -- Scam - Bromptonaut
Variations of this have been doing the rounds for a couple of years. Usually seems to involve a hi-jack of the 'mugging victim's email address book, typically hotmail/yahoo etc.

Ozzie girl I worked with c 2009 got one. Here friend who'd suppsedly sent it was traveling and the location quoted in the email was near enough where x was planned to be so as to be plausible. The lass was taken in for a few minutes until colleagues said hang on a mo......

Presumably accounts are hacked using data grabbed in hotels or internet cafes.
 Been Mugged send me money -- Scam - busbee
I was thrown for a few seconds. The fellow got pushed across the road into bollards writing his car off a short while ago, so going for a break looked plausible.

Yes they did lift his address book. Then delete it on his PC.

Latest Forum Posts