Computer Related > New Laptop maybe Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 16

New Laptop maybe - Dog
I use a Novatech iFlame desktop with 22" widescreen LCD TFT but, I'm thinking about buying a Laptop so I can sit around the inglenook (other room) with the multi-fuel stove a'going in the ice age:)

I was looking at the Lenovo Ideapad Z570 for my budget, or are there others in that price range worth considering?

www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/laptops/369178/lenovo-ideapad-z570
 New Laptop maybe - lancara
A similar one is available (to be released 01-11-11) for £569.99 from Amazon.

As noted in the comments, the absence of USB 3 ports in a newly-designed unit is surprising
 New Laptop maybe - Dog
Thanks lancara, but £450 is about all I want to pay, having recently spent c£500 on the desky!.

The other Laptop I am considering is this Novatech one for £420 ~

www.novatech.co.uk/laptop/range/nspireb950.html

New Laptop maybe - Dog
This is the Lenovo I was thinking of ~

www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Ideapad-Notebook-i3-2310M-Windows/dp/B004TQQIKW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1318603248&sr=8-4
 New Laptop maybe - Mapmaker
What will you be using it for?
 New Laptop maybe - Dog
Only email/surfing occasional DVD maybe and iplayer Mm.
 New Laptop maybe - Focusless
How about £350?
www.ebuyer.com/283159-fujitsu-lifebook-ah530-laptop-vfy-ah530mrsc2gb
 New Laptop maybe - Dog
>>How about £350?<<

Good brand in IT, good price too, I'm leaning towards the Lenovo though with it's better speakers.
 New Laptop maybe - ....
You might also want to consider if you want to connect the laptop to your TV ?

Most new-ish (last couple of years) TVs will have a USB port to plug a WiFi adaptor in. If the laptop has Windows 7 then you can use the TV as a screen. Alternatively, for about a third of the price, if the TV has spare HDMI or has a VGA port place the laptop nearby, connect via a cable and get a remote keyboard and touchpad to control the laptop like a TV remote.
 New Laptop maybe - Dog
>>You might also want to consider if you want to connect the laptop to your TV ?<<

Yes, I've been reading your thread on that subject with interest, I remember saying to a friend some years back "wouldn't it be great if we could access the ww on the TV and use a remote to control it"

:-)
 New Laptop maybe - ....
My own preference is to have the laptop near the TV and use a keyboard remotely as I don't need to touch the laptop. Others may choose to play their BluRay or DVD through the laptop and near it close by.

You'll need to think about screen format and match it to or better your TV input for future upgrades.
 New Laptop maybe - Iffy
For a laptop for use on the lap I would consider a smaller screen size.

They can be dearer, but I think Lenovo do a 12" for around £300.

A 10" netbook would be too small, but 12" is a good comprise between size and liftaboutability.

One of the Lenovos has good battery life, too.

Of course, the gold standard solution would be a MacBook Air. :)

New Laptop maybe - Dog
Cheers Iffy, I've looked at all makes & models, but (for the money) I keep coming back to Lenovo,

So, unless there are any last minute objections from the saloon bar, I'll be ordering this one ~

www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Z370-13-3-Notebook/dp/B005TPRVD0/ref=sr_1_43?ie=UTF8&qid=1319051506&sr=8-43
 New Laptop maybe - Iffy
...I'll be ordering this one...

Decent spec, and you've made a wise move with the screen size.

You'll not miss the extra couple of inches to look at, and you'll be glad they are not there when it comes to lifting the machine and balancing it on your lap.

New Laptop maybe - Dog
>>and you'll be glad they are not there when it comes to lifting the machine and balancing it on your lap<<

I almost went for a 15.6 jobbie ... I must be getting a tad more sensible in my old age :)
 New Laptop maybe - Focusless
>> >>and you'll be glad they are not there when it comes to lifting the machine
>> and balancing it on your lap<<
>>
>> I almost went for a 15.6 jobbie ... I must be getting a tad more
>> sensible in my old age :)

Yeah, my (work) laptop is a 12"-er, mainly for ease of use on the train, but I find it fine for the 2 days per week I work at home; can't be bothered hooking up to the 17" monitor on the PC.

And it's not like my eyesight is brilliant - can't read the labels on most tins these days :)
 New Laptop maybe - Pat
I use a Dell Lattitude D410 for exactly that reason.

It is so light and after dropping so many laptops while trying to put them away in the bag in the lorry cab because I just couldn't grip them after a long day, I finally gave in.

I wouldn't want a bigger one now and find it takes up so little room for presentations as well.

Pat
Latest Forum Posts