Computer Related > How many CDs will fit on an iPOD? Computing Issues
Thread Author: Dr Prunesqualler Replies: 24

How many CDs will fit on an iPOD? - Dr Prunesqualler
I am thinking about joining the 21st century and getting an iPOD. The main use will be for storing all our CDs to make them easier to find and play. I will be connecting it up to the HiFi and playing it through the speakers. I thought about a Brennan but favour an iPOD as we will then have the portability option should the need arise.

Anyway, I am looking at an iPOD touch but don't know which size to go for. We have about 200 CDs (but some are doubles, triples etc). 8GB seems a bit small, there is no 16GB and 32GB is quite pricey. Would 8GB be big enough for 200+ CDs?

Supplementary noddy question: can you choose differnt compression ratios on an iPOD?
 How many CDs will fit on an iPOD? - VxFan
>> How many CDs will fit on an iPOD?

Does this help?

tinyurl.com/6f48tg9 - www.everymac.com

support.apple.com/kb/ht1867

>> can you choose differnt compression ratios on an iPOD?

You do this with your ripping software when you convert the CD to mp3, prior to putting it on the iPod.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 14 Oct 11 at 13:41
 How many CDs will fit on an iPOD? - rtj70
>> Supplementary noddy question: can you choose differnt compression ratios on an iPOD?

Yes - but you want to keep the bit rate fairly high to keep quality.
 How many CDs will fit on an iPOD? - spamcan61
Note those linked capacity estimates are based on lowish bitrates (128K AAC), that's probably listenable for most people but there will be some quality loss compared with the CD.

Personally I'd want to rip to MP3 not AAC anyway, in case you want to play them back on other devices at some point in the future. Whilst 320K is effectively CD quality to most people I'd be happy with 256K.

Tricky fitting 200CDs in 16GB at 256K though :-/

edit: does it have to be an iPod? Plenty of better sounding, cheaper players around.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Fri 14 Oct 11 at 14:39
For example this player will take uSDHC expansion cards, so you can get a 20GB player for around 50 quid:-

www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Sansa-Player-Expandable-MicroSD/dp/B002NX0MF0/ref=pd_cp_ce_2

or the bigger:-

www.amazon.co.uk/Sansa-Fuze-8gb-Player-Black/dp/B0019JOD68/ref=pd_cp_ce_3

Obviously an iPod Touch does loads of other stuff, and there are many 'HiFi' docks tailored to iPods, but this is a darned sight cheaper and expandable.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Fri 14 Oct 11 at 14:49
What is AAC? Is this the Apple version of MP3?

Probably does not have to be iPod but I guess I quite fancy one. To be honest I'm not too bothered about all the applications you can get for it so an iPod classic with 160GB would also do.
>> What is AAC? Is this the Apple version of MP3?
>>
Yes, it's not as universally supported by other devices (TVs, car stereos, other music players) as MP3 hence I wouldn't use it by choice.

An iPod classic would indeed be a more cost effective choice for music playback, plenty of room for 200Cds + on there.
As spamcan says, an iPod Classic might be the solution if this is for music only.

Most of my music is MP3 format and will be 128kbit/s minimum quality and some higher. Some of my music files are MPEG4 audio (M4A) files too.

I recently copied a lot of music to an SD card for the stereo in the car. I think there's about 190 albums on there with some that are compilations that would have originally been on multiple CDs. Also have at least one language learning CD (both disks) on there. Quite a few classical music albums so possibly longer duration than the average. This left about 1.5Gb free on a 16Gb memory card.

So I don't think you'll fit more than 100 albums on a 8Gb iPod Touch if you go for 128kbit/s for bit rate. Might get more if you rip them to MP4 format.
Just added up how many MP3 and M4A files are on the SD card for the car*. It comes to 2879. This includes some rips of language learning CDs too - so on those the files are larger but fewer of them.

* As this is the computer thread I did a quick/simple:

ls -lR | egrep -i ".mp3|.m4a" | wc -l

after changing to the root of the memory card. Can than done be done in one line of Windows 7? :-) Probably can in Powershell.
 How many CDs will fit on an iPOD? - ....
Can what be done in Win7 ?
If it's showing the number of files, folders, total size and total size on disk then yes, it can.
No it was searching all sub-folders and counting the files with .mp3 or .m4a in their name. So not the total for the disk.
 How many CDs will fit on an iPOD? - ....
"dir /s *.mp3, *.m4a" after navigating to your start point as you did.

in d(r)os will do that from the parent folder.
 How many CDs will fit on an iPOD? - The Nut
dir *.mp3 *.m4a /a/s
That will list all the files with an mp3 or m4a extension in the current directory and all sub directories including hidden system etc. Probably something only known by people who started out using DOS though.

Back to the OP, ripping CD's is a very boring time consuming process so when you have finished I would recommend backing up the mp3's to an external hard disk so if the ipod goes wrong you don't have to do it again, or at the very least leave the mp3's on your computer.

edit: gmac beat me to it there.
Last edited by: The Nut on Fri 14 Oct 11 at 18:44
I thought it might be a time consuming task so I have alreaady started negotiations with my 11 year old son for him to do it. His initial offer of £1 per CD without even knowing how big the job was just shows that all the Yorkshire water he drinks is having some effect. My initial offer of £15 for the whole lot was met with derision. (clearly, I drink the water in Yorkshire too)

Now thinking to get a 32GB iPod touch. Just need to get Senior Management commitment and its off to the shops.
 How many CDs will fit on an iPOD? - Zero
make sure your son earns his money.,

All the genre, title, artist name, album, composer, release date and album cover picture metadata must be present, correct and consistent or all you end up with is an electronic bin full of unfindable noise.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 14 Oct 11 at 21:58
>>
>> All the genre, title, artist name, album, composer, release date and album cover picture metadata
>> must be present, correct and consistent or all you end up with is an electronic
>> bin full of unfindable noise.
>>

+1, there's only so much manual tweaking in MP3tag one wants to do in a lifetime.
When I ripped a lot of my music from CD originally it was in iTunes. It was very good at recognising the CDs. Doesn't it use Gracenote? Something equivalent at least.

Since around 2006 all my music purchases has been digital. To make sure they have not been restricted to an Apple device, all but one album has been bought from either Tesco or Amazon.
 How many CDs will fit on an iPOD? - Iffy
Another vote for an iPod Classic.

A 32GB Touch could become tight for space in future, and I have the impression the Classics are generally more reliable.

If this is only to have as a music player at home then make sure you use the dock connector to get music out and not the headphone socket.
The deed has been done this morning and I am now the owner of a 32GB Ipod touch. Or will be on my birthday when I am allowed to open it up!

Why do you suggest using the dock connector rather than the headphone socket, which is what I had planned on?
In theory you should get better sound quality using the dock, whether this is noticeable in practise is another matter. In addition i think some of the fancier docks have displays mimicking the one on the iPod, so you can see what's going on from further away.
I wasn't suggesting a dock. Just a connection to the dock connector. When the iPod 3G first came out you got a nice dock to the iPod in when you charged it. And the dock had a line out.

support.apple.com/kb/TA26107

The line out via the dock connector is better for feeding into a stereo's line-in.
 How many CDs will fit on an iPOD? - Iffy
...The line out via the dock connector is better for feeding into a stereo's line-in...

Spot on - always use the dock connector on the iPod if you can.

The sound quality is noticeably better, and you also get full volume.

Headphone outputs on iPods are limited for health and safety reasons.

No problem for using headphones, but it can be for connecting to a hi-fi or car stereo.

How many CDs will fit on an iPOD? - MD
I am TOTALLY lost.
You're in Devon and it's raining :-)
Latest Forum Posts