Computer Related > USB drive starts then stops Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 5

USB drive starts then stops - smokie
Stuck in a hotel at the moment have nothing to compare with.

I have an external USB (Lacie 2Tb) which is spinning up then turning off all in about 10 seconds. If I leave it plugged in and powered up, the adapter doesn't get hot. Is there any conclusion I can draw from that?

No clicking or unusual sounds btw.
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 9 Oct 11 at 22:02
 USB drive starts then stops - Zero
If you mean the power adaptor isnt getting hot, then it means its not drawing power from it.

Could be that the drive is powering up with USB power ony, then falling over due to lack of it, one USB port can not provide enough power for a USB hard drive.

USB drive starts then stops - rtj70
As this is a 2Tb drive it's not a 2.5" drive and cannot be powered from the USB port. I use bus powered USB drives but they are 2.5" drives. But do work off one port.
 USB drive starts then stops - Kevin
Does it never become ready? Can the OS see it?

The Lacie USB drive that I have (USB power only) spins down after about 10 to 15secs if it is not accessed and takes about 5secs to spin back up again when you try to read/write.
 USB drive starts then stops - Zero
Does the OS give its Plink Plunk noise to show a USB device connected and ready? and what does device mangler say?
 USB drive starts then stops - smokie
Wow, thanks all - it's working again! It's on a different USB cable but I can't get it to fail on the other one now!

I usually have volume muted and didn't think to listen for the kerplunk, but it wasn't showing up in My Computer. Didn't think to look in Device Manager, cos it deffo wasn't running - it's v noisy and even I can hear it in normal use!

Interesting point about it spinning down if not accessed, I might have allowed myself to be misled by that last night - after extensive testing with it connected (using different USB ports and many power on/off cycles), I then tested it just as extensively with it not connected, thinking that it would stay up.

Once again, thanks!

PS Yes I do have a backup of it - it's actually the "primary" disk for my data, but is wholly backed up on the new NAS. I was thinking I'd get a USB3 2Tb if this one had died. I finish this project soon and will be back at home, and I think I will use some of the (many) 1Tb drives I have to get another copy of my data, just in case this is on it's way out.
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 10 Oct 11 at 21:36
Latest Forum Posts