Computer Related > laptop keypad Computing Issues
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 8

laptop keypad - devonite
step-daughter has just handed me her lappy and said the letters wont work - all keys seem free and un sticky, but i suspect something has been spilt on it, best way to clean please!

thanks
 laptop keypad - RattleandSmoke
Generally once liquid has been spilt into a keyboard it will need replacing. If its not working at all then cleaning it probably won't solve it.

You need to first try an external keyboard to make sure its not some software fault.

Then check the connections from the keyboard to the motherboard. Removing a laptop keyboard is easily bit very delicate and fiddly. Youtube should have a video showing you how to remove your specific laptop keyboard.

Most laptops it is a case of removing a couple of screws from the base (which will have a keyboard symbol next to them) and then using a blunt object like a debit card to release the clips next to the bezel.

laptop keypad - Iffy
Not wishing to be a doom-monger, but when I spilt a mouthful of Coke on the keyboard of my laptop it shorted the internals - motherboard? - making a repair uneconomical.

Trying an external USB keyboard is a good idea.

laptop keypad - spamcan61
Depends on the construction of the laptop, and luck, Spamette Major spilt gravy on my Dell Inspiron 6000, the only key that never recovered was the space bar. Eventually I got bored with that and replaced the entire keyboard, a 5 minute operation costing about 15 quid. I've rescued desktop keyboards in the past by soaking in warm soapy water for a few hours, then rinse and dry out thoroughly. Don't try that with a whole laptop though ;-).
 laptop keypad - Zero
If you have the know how or the eye for it, remove the keyboard form the lappy (which one is it btw) and clean it in deionised water and replace

It might only be a loose connector - its a ribbon type usually.
 laptop keypad - ....
>> Don't try that with a whole laptop though ;-).
>>
Why ? Does it clean the hard drive too ? =:-P
 laptop keypad - AnotherJohnH
Is it ALL keys not working? or has she just pressed "num lock" by any chance?
 laptop keypad - devonite
cheers folks! - sort of fixed it, although a usb keyboard worked it wasnt very portable! - but then i discovered windows has an "on=screen" keyboard, so i invoked that and bingo! job sorted temporarily.
 laptop keypad - devonite
its a bank of keys almost in a line down the keypad, 3,4,e,r,d,f,x = Acer inspiron 3050
Latest Forum Posts