Computer Related > Virgin Health Check Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 5

Virgin Health Check - BobbyG
I knew that title would get the attention :)

Just received an email from Virgin

We're giving you a free PC health check, worth £60. Why? Well, it's just a little something from us, to say thank you for being with Virgin Media.

Giving your computer a tune up keeps your precious files safe from bugs and viruses, and makes sure your computer's up to speed, so you can make the most of your superfast fibre optic broadband. Best of all, this session won't cost you a penny and there are no strings attached.

Here's what you can get from your PC health check:

• A free computer health check service using our state of the art remote technology, so you can kick back with a cuppa while you wait
• A consultation with one of our friendly and helpful technical whizzes. If they find a problem, they won't rest until they've fixed it for you
• A thorough scan of your computer for any viruses and security problems. About half of all PCs have nasty bugs in them, and it's important to catch them quick
• A happy computer that works fast, keeps your files safe and makes the most of your super speedy broadband

Just give us a call on 0800 0147 549 between 8am and 10pm any day of the week to get your free session with our team. Grab it quick - this exclusive offer is only available until 30th October 2011

Kind regards

The Virgin Media team

So what do you think this will achieve that normal MSE etc won't?

Zero, you got any insider info from your son?

I must admit, anytime I have had broadband issues with Virgin I have found them to be the most useless of "techies" that I have ever encountered in my life.

Virgin Health Check - rtj70
I'd never trust VM or any other broadband outfit to do anything to any of my computers. Plenty of tips on here what to do to check for malware, clean-up Windows, etc.
 Virgin Health Check - RattleandSmoke
If Virgin's own security software is anything to go buy I would avoid it. It is far too vague too on what it actually covers.

Here is what I would do (and for less than £60!) this is assuming it is in my workshop and not onsite:-

1) Have a look inside the case, had one yesterday which had a dead video card fan, and lots of dust, how can Virgin check that over the internet?

2) Check the voltages of the PSU with a multimeter.

3) Check which process are running and see if there is anything suspicious

4) Check proxy settings etc, to make sure nothing is being redirected.

5) Check for known rootkits

6) Do an offline scan (e.g from a different operating system) *if I find viruses

7) Do the usual registry tweaks, and general things to make windows run faster such defrag and removing tempory files.

8) Upgrade RAM if required.

And a lot more depending on what the problem is.

Doing all the above requires at least 48 hours on the bench.

This £60 Virgin thing is probably nothing more than what CC cleaner will do and a basic virus scan.

For other thing you have to ask is why are they offering this for free? There has to be some motive.

Virgin Health Check - Victorbox
A regular cleanup with Ccleaner (including the registry cleaner if you set a restore point), an occasional defrag (either with Windows own programme or Defraggler) and a full scan with Microsoft Security Essentials is all you need. I very occasionally let Trend Housecall scan my PC to confirm MSE is doing its job. housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/

I wonder what extras Virgin want to sell you once they have sniffed around your PC with their free scan?
 Virgin Health Check - Zero
>
>> Zero, you got any insider info from your son?

I will ask him, he hasnt mentioned it.

Myself? I would bin it.
 Virgin Health Check - Zero
My lad says he has never heard of it.
Latest Forum Posts