Computer Related > Windows memory management Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 4

Windows memory management - smokie
I feeling like spending some dosh on my computer. I have Windows 7 64 bit and 8Gb memory. C (80Gb) & D (64Gb) drives are SSD, C drive contains "bare minimum" i.e. windows and program files. D drive contains moderate sized regularly accessed data (outlook files, My DOcs etc). All other files held on hot swap SATA drives, USB drives and network storage, all backed up to USB drives. I have plenty of storage!

Not too keen to run a third 5 1/4 drive permanently as I'm trying to keep power consumption low.

I don't have many apps which demand a great amount of memory, and swapfiles are supposedly bad news for SSD drives so I don't have any page files.

System is running fine, time for a tinker though.

Soooo...

I could upgrade C drive to larger SSD for a little over £100 - space is a bit limited. Could then use redundant SSD for swap file until it breaks.

Or I could stick another 8Gb of memory in for around £45. In my mind this means I'll never reach full memory usage so no need for swapfile.

Any logic problems with the above? Which would you recommend?

Or I could waste the money that's burning a hole on something else...any suggestions?
 Windows memory management - Focusless
>> Or I could stick another 8Gb of memory in for around £45. In my mind
>> this means I'll never reach full memory usage so no need for swapfile.

Do you know that you are ever actually running out of physical memory at the moment?
Last edited by: Focus on Sun 2 Oct 11 at 14:41
 Windows memory management - Iffy
Apologies in advance if this misses the point.

A computer engineer told me one of his customers enjoys upgrading his machine, so fitted a solid state drive.

The benefits were marginal because while the programs booted up faster, the data still had to be pulled off the old spinning disc hard drive.

The conclusion is a solid state drive is only worthwhile if that drive is big enough for everything stored on the computer.

Windows memory management - Zero
you will spend money, tinker and achieve absolutely no benefit from the sound of it.

Buy something else. The new kindle fire for example -
 Windows memory management - TeeCee
If you've already got 8gigs in there, you are very unlikely to run out of memory.

You should have a page file though, if only so that the diagnostics work. Win cannot perform memory dumps without a page file. Also, I've seen it said that Win perfromance drops without one, as the memory manager chases its tail. I'd add a low-powered bit of "spinning rust" and use it purely for swap. Set the power policy so the drive will spun down quickly and only spun up as required if power consumption is really that important.

You can always see how much memory you are using by looking at the memory monitor in Se7en. Just remember that the total actually not being used is the sum of "free" and "reserve".
Latest Forum Posts