Computer Related > iPad + keyboard as substitute for laptop? Computing Issues
Thread Author: apm Replies: 10

iPad + keyboard as substitute for laptop? - apm
All,

Work have given me a woeful windows laptop that is hopeless. Won't pick up my profile (so can't install Chrome or Skype), battery life is 2 hours (!) and the fan makes a loud buzz. It's so flimsy that it looks like something my 3-year old would play with. Just horrible.

Anyway, I have some project funds to buy something decent. I am keen on a Macbook Air (Apple fan, so no Windows suggestions please), but also wondered if an iPad with a bluetooth keyboard would do all I need for less cash and weight? I'm an academic, so would mainly be email, web surfing, some writing and spreadsheets. Occasional stats would probably wait until I was at my desktop. I was wary of the iPad route as not keen on doing loads of typing, but have recently seen these cases that have the keyboard built in.

Anyone done it? Thoughts appreciated!

TIA,

Alex.
 iPad + keyboard as substitute for laptop? - Zero
Stick with your first suggestion. the Ipad is useless for serious work and far too limited.
 iPad + keyboard as substitute for laptop? - Redviper
Agree with Zero - despite its hype, Its far to limited and is only good for basic web surfing (without flash enabled sites) and "Apps"

If it was significantly cheaper than what it is - maybe, but it isn't.
 iPad + keyboard as substitute for laptop? - Iffy
Another vote for an Air.

Apart from the iPad's other limitations, there is the question of size.

It's a matter for apm, but I reckon an iPad's screen is too small for the use he has outlined.

An 11 inch Air might be big enough, but I would also consider the 13 inch.

Looks like the plastic MacBook is no longer sold, but a 13 inch MacBook Pro is £100 cheaper than the same sized Air.

www.apple.com/uk/mac/

iPad + keyboard as substitute for laptop? - RattleandSmoke
Do what my customers do, spend £500 on one, pay me £30 to get it working with their network and data, then decide 2 months later its useless and that PC is better.
 iPad + keyboard as substitute for laptop? - movilogo
iPad becomes quite powerful once you jailbreak it. But still no match against a standard laptop.
Ipads have their place, in certain situations they are brilliant but they will not replace the PC or laptop. In five years time that is a different matter, when you can connect them to 50" TVs and printers etc.
 iPad + keyboard as substitute for laptop? - R.P.
You can connect an ipad to a telly very easily Rats and they can print to specific printers as well !
What is the resolution though when you connect them to the TV? I am aware some printers will work with the Ipad but it is still limited.
 iPad + keyboard as substitute for laptop? - R.P.
Air any day - I have a MacBookPro which is nothing short of brilliant, iPad is very good but has too many limitations as a laptop replacement.
 iPad + keyboard as substitute for laptop? - lancara
Look at an Asus Pad Transformer - tablet that can be connected to a keyboard.
Latest Forum Posts