Computer Related > BT Broadband Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 34

BT Broadband - MD
Morning all,

Just had BT broadband put on having moved from Orange. The whole BT experience has been nothing short of a nightmare and that company must be missing millions of pounds by their incompetence. However we went with them due the the BT Openzone and FON spots around the country, but nowhere in any literature can we found out how to access them. It 'may' be that one has to load their BT Netprotect to do this but instructions are ambiguous. Has anyone had any experience of this please.

Best regards.........Martin.
 BT Broadband - bathtub tom
Do you mean this sort of information?

www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=25812
 BT Broadband - Suppose
>> Just had BT broadband put on having moved from Orange. The whole BT experience has
>> been nothing short of a nightmare and that company must be missing millions of pounds
>> by their incompetence.

Tell us more.
Don't let it go, complain
bt.custhelp.com/app/contact/c/2702
www.btplc.com/Thegroup/RegulatoryandPublicaffairs/Codeofpractice/CustomerComplaintsCode/index.htm

>>However we went with them due the the BT Openzone and FON
>> spots around the country, but nowhere in any literature can we found out how to
>> access them.

btsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/c/1812
www.btopenzone.com/help/how-to-log-in.jsp
 BT Broadband - R.P.
It's painless Martin - let your device search for an available network - when it tells you it's found a BT WiFi service it presents you with a BT login page on your browser,you enter your e-mail address and broadband password and it links in seamlessly.
 BT Broadband - MD
>> It's painless Martin - let your device search for an available network - when it
>> tells you it's found a BT WiFi service it presents you with a BT login
>> page on your browser,you enter your e-mail address and broadband password and it links in
>> seamlessly.
>>
Tried it Sir. Not happening. I am getting very frustrated with it all. Give me bricks any day!

May have another go tomorrow cos if I try again today I may smash something. Probably my laptop...Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.
 BT Broadband - MD
Oh! and thanks to suppose for the info. As I said I'll give it a go tomorrow.
 BT Broadband - MD
Thanks all. It's sorted now, but it states that you are automatically in FON unless you opt out. This is not the case, you have to register. Cheers.
 BT Broadband - Fenlander
Give us a bit of info on the problems with BT Martin... we're close to signing up with them for a phone/broadband package at our new place.
 BT Broadband - MD
Nothing but contradictions. One hand says this, one hand says that. Example: On the web it states that monies owing for the package will be added to the bill. We sign up for anytime calls and vision box and take the rental saver by paying 12 months upfront which we believe would have been added to the first bill. Place order, nothing happens. We wait several days and I ring them. We are waiting for the mac code they said which had been sent and an acknowledgement had been received. Give them the mac code again then nothing. I ring again to be told we are waiting for your upfront 12 months rental payment. Why didn't you ask for it says I. Don't know says she says.

They also omitted to tell us we cannot have a vision box, but they don't know why. We still haven't been told, but I suspect it is because we only get 3/4 of a meg here.

The whole experience has put me off, however I don't hear any better from elsewhere either. They own the lines so to me hat is the place to be and it's not too dear considering and of course there is the use of openzone and FON should you so require.

Grrrrrrrrrr
 BT Broadband - R.P.
Been with them for what seems like forever. Never had any trouble with them really, the housemove was a tad chaotic (but this was a new house with no landline) - to me it's done what it said on the tin really.
 BT Broadband - rtj70
I know I have the BT Infinity service and the regular BT ADSL but it's been fine for us too. I've not used a BT/FON hotspot but do have it and not opted out. My broadband router has both a FON and BT hotspot showing up.

In the 15 months we've had BT broadband it has gone offline (briefly) twice. Both times very late at night (around 1am).

I know I could get cheaper broadband (e.g. Sky) but I won't get such a good service for the money I pay. Virgin is a bit too slow for sending data in my opinion - but would switch back to Virgin if the deal was right. No need to switch at the moment.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 6 Sep 11 at 18:33
 BT Broadband - Fenlander
Thanks for the detail Martin... nothing terrible really, just the usual large organisation faff. I've just signed up for the BT unlimited phone plus broadband package. Didn't go for the TV box but may do... is that the one where you can record and pause live TV plus have IPlayer on the TV? Seems worth £4/mth to me.

Funny though dspite myself and the BT girl saying our moving date many times the confirmation email still came for the wrong date 5 days too late. Had to phone and correct it.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 6 Sep 11 at 19:02
 BT Broadband - MD
Hi Mate,..the Vision box sounds worthwhile to me. The Daughter has it and it seems brilliant. It was free when they took it out and continues to be.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr
 BT Broadband - Suppose
>> Nothing but contradictions. One hand says this, one hand says that. Example: On the web
>> it states that monies owing for the package will be added to the bill. We

Just wait until you have to deal with BT's India call centre.

I just had a new line installed in a new property. No show by engineer for 3 days. BT kept saying engineer had been and installed the line on first day and two other visits had been made to check line was working. But not at my house. India call centre just would not understand. Computer says "yes, line is installed and working".

Finally on 4th day, engineer turns up and says he can only assume that the other engineers have been going to some other address!

Compensation offered so far, £30 because BT contract says they give £10 max for each missed appointment.
 BT Broadband - Dog
'Suppose' I'd better stick my oar in, my twopennorth, like, ...

I was without an internet connection for two whole months!

My ISP is Plusnet, and have been for the last 2 years,

Plusnet were 1st class regarding there tech help + customer service, but they can only do so much at their end,

BT? Blimming Terrible!!
 BT Broadband - MD
Good old Broadband from Yorkshire. Is it true that the majority shareholder is BT?
 BT Broadband - Dog
>>Is it true that the majority shareholder is BT?<<

Aye, it's a subsidiary of BT.
 BT Broadband - VxFan
It has been owned since 30 January 2007 by BT Group

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plusnet
 BT Broadband - Clk Sec
Dog

Please don't mention that other company (you know the one) as it will put me off my coffee.
 BT Broadband - Dog
>>Please don't mention that other company (you know the one) as it will put me off my coffee<<

I should have listened to your good advice on that score, for sure!
 BT Broadband - spamcan61
I changed my phone line rental & calls over from BT to Plusnet a few months back, it all went through without any hassle, which did amaze me, even allowing for the top level connection between the two companies. On the one occasion I've had to call customer support in 3 years I spoke to a chap who sounded like he was from Yorkshire and actually knew what he was talking about, rather than the usual menu-driven call centre chicken.
 BT Broadband - merlin
We moved into a new property a couple of years ago which needed a new line installing. It took BT about a month to complete a simple job. Dealing with them was a nightmare. I avoided the Indian call centres like the plague. The UK ones weren't much better. The OpenReach business unit in BT which do the installs are apparently part of a different company. Allegedly they have nothing to do with the part of BT that handle customer service... However all contact with OpenReach has to be through the BT call centres as they won't talk to consumers themselves. I wonder why...

I still have the BT landline but use O2 for broadband. Their old contract at least is unlimited and allows for torrents. However I understand the newer contracts are much more restrictive. O2 broadband customer service have been excellent.

If you just need a landline for broadband, then given the recent hike in BT landline charges, then it's worth considering BTs own cheaper fixed £120 a year landline tariff which for some reason they keep quiet about...
 BT Broadband - Fenlander
Hmmm... BT!

Ordered new phone and broadband for 21st Sept. Confirmation mail says 26th. Phoned and assured simple admin error would be corrected and a new mail sent with correct date. Never happened. Two more calls still didn't get a result because they now claim previous householder hadn't yet terminated his account. I found his name, old phone number, his account no and the date he terminated last month. This was just enough for call centre sort it today... well sorting it to them was bringing the phone forward to 21st but broadband still had to be 5 days later!!

When pressed they said only way to resolve was to cancel the whole thing and phone me back tomorrow to set up for the correct date. Currently my confidence in this happening is about 10%.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Wed 14 Sep 11 at 11:01
 BT Broadband - Fenlander
To be fair to BT an update...

Once BT customer services had got their heads around the correct dates it all went smoothly. Line and broadband on the promised days with texts to my mobile confirming activations. The home hub was installed and online in 5mins from the box.

We've moved to a faster area and now have a speed of 7.4 (via wi-fi not hard wired) compared with 1.9 for the old house. First time I've been able to watch Youtube 1080HD without pausing and waiting.

I didn't load the BT CD, anyone with the same broadband care to comment if there is any reason to do so... stats monitoring or suchlike?
 BT Broadband - Fenlander
Just a final update that may help someone in the future...

As stated broadband was easy to get going... then setting up mail less so. The webmail side of things was fine but it took two calls to India before they could get mail to arrive in my Windows Mail program. All fine now but in the middle of it when they hinted it was probably my PC at fault and I should get a local man in I said I'd send the equipment back and cancel the contract. That caused them to go away and twiddle knobs their end then as if by magic the mails flooded in.

The Vision box was an easy setup and it's well worth the £4/mth for live TV pause & IPlayer (plus all other channels catch-up) on the main TV.

Our broadband/vision router is 3 rooms from the TV but BT included two nifty plug adaptor transmitter things to replace a hard wired setup.
 BT Broadband - Iffy
I think this thread's completed, so hopefully Martin won't mind the drift.

Fenlander,

Have you posted anything about the new house?

I'm sure many of us would be interested to read a little about it.

BT Broadband - Fenlander
OK Iffy... but only because you asked.
My BT broadband speed has dropped recently from near 4 Mbps to around 2.5 Mbps.

Curiously, I've just had a pop-up asking me if my speed's reduced lately, inviting me to use BT tools.

I'm a cynical old git!
 BT Broadband - Ambo
>> My BT broadband speed has dropped recently from near 4 Mbps to around 2.5 Mbps.
>>

Mine is 12.37, according to www.speedtest.net/

BT Broadband - nyx2k
mines less than 2meg out in the sticks and 3g is rubbish also
 BT Broadband - Dog
I'm like really out in the stix with only 1 neighb (plus 500 Sheep) and I get about 4Mbps via Plusnet.
 BT Broadband - nyx2k
im about 3miles from chichester on the goodwood estate and the fastest anyone gets is 2mb

a friend who has no neighbours and lives at least 10 miles from any town or village gets 5meg.

BT Broadband - Dog
>>im about 3miles from chichester on the goodwood estate and the fastest anyone gets is 2mb

a friend who has no neighbours and lives at least 10 miles from any town or village gets 5meg<<

Check out exactly what is available in your area and if there are any planned upgrades nyx ~

www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker
 BT Broadband - Zero
>> My BT broadband speed has dropped recently from near 4 Mbps to around 2.5 Mbps.
>

reboot your router.

Did that, no change. Speed did return. See BT outage thread.
Latest Forum Posts