Computer Related > Can't get rid of dw20.exe
Thread Author: spamcan61 Replies: 12

Can't get rid of dw20.exe - spamcan61
Hello eveyone,

Spamette Minor's Vista HP laptop has been a bit sluggish recently, checked in Task Manager and dw20.exe is fluctuating between 0% and 50% of CPU resource every other second, with no other programs running.

I've run a virus scan with Avast and MSE, nothing found.

Checked this article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base, which sounded promising, but three of the four registry keys mentioned don't exist on the machine. I've created the new value for the remaining one, but that made no difference after reboot.

support.microsoft.com/kb/841477

I've also changed the registry in accordance with this article:-

support.microsoft.com/kb/325075

I don't want to uninstall and reinstall Office (well Word and Publisher, which is all it has on it), but I'm running out of alternatives. I've no idea when this started, so system restore is not really an option.
 Can't get rid of dw20.exe - smokie
How's about trying this method?

www.ehow.com/how_5166791_remove-dwexe.html
Or these?

www.exe-error-fixes.com/disable-dw20exe/

Just a thought though - it is probably going haywire because something is wrong on your machine.

Worth a look in the logs to see if it's obvious what's causing it.
Yeah, this machine has been a bit iffy since a Windows Update caused BSOD last year, had to do a Windows repair from CD to bring it back to life. Everything else seems pretty much OK now at first glance, but agreed if the machine was behaving properly then DW20.exe shouldn't need to be reporting anything anyway.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Sun 27 Feb 11 at 22:24
 Can't get rid of dw20.exe - Zero
you dont need it, its a waste of space, remove it from startup.
>> you dont need it, its a waste of space, remove it from startup.
>>
It doesn't appear in startup?, if I try and kill it from Task Mangler I get 'The operation could not be completed The operation is not valid for this process' I've tried via Admin account as well as my daughters.

I can see a Windows re-install looming.
Its a service.

pop up a command prompt, run msconfig, click the services tab, and remove the windows error reporter service, windows event collector, and the problem solutions and report service.

then reboot.
Cheers, done that - rebooted - and dw20.exe is still running!

aaaaagggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

OK off to Winchester for a while now, i'll have another bash later.
have you got a "microsoft application error reporting" service under the services tab?

If so get rid of that.

Also, do you have any MS office items in startup? you dont need them there, get rid.
Cheers, I'll give that a go once she's off Facebook - sometime next week probably...
I'm guessing at an easy but messy way to stop it running.

Open Explorer, navigate to c:program filesCommon Filesmicrosoft shared (or something like that), find the file and rename it to dw20.old. Probably will need doing in Safe mode.
 Can't get rid of dw20.exe - John H
>> and rename it to dw20.old. Probably will need doing in Safe mode.
>>

Even if it turns out that it possible to do that to a MS file, be aware that Windows resource Protection in Vista may reproduce a file "lost" like that.

If Zero's suggestions to stop the error service via admin tools does not work try
* Open the Control Panel
* Open the Problem Reports & Solutions applet
* Under the Advanced option you can disable problem reporting
or
* open Group Policy Editor (Start-> Run-> gpedit.msc)
* Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Error Reporting.
* Double click on the setting- Disable Windows Error Reporting.
* Click Ok and close the Group Policy Editor.
OK I disabled any services that looked vaguely related to Windows error reporting, rebooted....and flippin' dw20.exe is still there and using 50% CPU.

Currently backing up all user data before I try anything more drastic.

Beginning to wonder if it is a bloomin' virus!

P.S. Yep you were right John, renaming the file just caused Vista to rebuild it.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Tue 1 Mar 11 at 12:31
Latest Forum Posts