Computer Related > 'New ' Posts Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 7

'New ' Posts - Ted

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but it concerns the Forum, which, of course, is on my Computer.

I noticed that the 'New ' notification, flagged in red doesn't seem to last for a very long time.
I came on the forum just after lunch today.
One thread I clicked on had ' new ' against it. I had a look and read the 3 ' blue ' posts and then noticed that there were actually 14 posts today. 11 had become pink after a very short time from posting.

It's not a major concern but you could miss a new post in the middle of a thread if it had alreadycome off the blue posts. I think HJ's new posts were flagged for quite a long time.

Ted
 'New ' Posts - car4play
Not sure I might have understood you fully - so bear with me if I haven't.

It takes the 'new' flag off based on whether you have looked at the post. In the case of flat view it assumes all 'new' in that thread. In threaded view it does it one by one. It isn't based on time while you are logged in. If you log out it assumes that you have read all you want and sets the time for 'new' to the last one that you would have seen last time you were logged out.
At least that is what I recall it doing. It was a while ago that it was written.
 'New ' Posts - smokie
I think this works differently from another familiar place - I've "felt" that there was something different. In flat view I have clicked on New flags only to be positioned at the New post in a whole thread which I hadn't previously seen. I thought before it worked at post level.

C4P is one of my default tabs so is open all the time, but I am not around much of the time and it isn't necessarily the last site I visit when I close Chrome.

But I'm getting used to it...
 'New ' Posts - Focusless
>> If you log out it assumes that you have read all you want
>> At least that is what I recall it doing. It was a while ago that
>> it was written.

What is the definition of 'log out'? Close the browser, shut down the PC, or something site-specific?

Whichever, personally I would rather it didn't make assumptions - there's a 'mark all read' link if required. I'd like to be able to 'log out' without worrying* about making sure I've read all the new posts.

*ok I lead a quiet life
 'New ' Posts - Ted

I'm back, my first post might have sounded a bit of a mess, not being too PC au fait.
Just come back, I hadn't logged off, and found Rat's thread about his shop. All the posts are new to me, but only those posted since about 1915 hrs are highlighted in blue.

That's basically what I meant !

IIRC, HJ kept them ' new ' for some considerable time, maybe a day or so.
I used to go on and there were about 2 pages of ' red news ' sometimes !

Ted
 'New ' Posts - car4play
>> HJ kept them ' new ' for some considerable time, maybe a day or so.

mmm do you mean the 'old' HJ that we had for years or the 'new' forum?
 'New ' Posts - VxFan
>> Just come back I hadn't logged off

And there I think is the problem. The system eventually automatically logs you off from here. It used to be something like 20 mins, may well still be?

Now I tend to read all new posts when I log in, I then manually log off from here. When I next return new posts are flagged from that moment I last logged off.

Say it is still 20 mins for this site to automatically log you off, then that means the system still thinks you're here for those 20 mins and when it automatically logs you off, any unread posts in those 20 mins will be marked as being read. The exact same thing used to happen on HJ.

In short, if you don't manually log off then any posts made in the 20 mins before the system automatically kicks you off are no longer new posts.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 15 Mar 10 at 00:16
 'New ' Posts - L'escargot
>> I think HJ's new
>> posts were flagged for quite a long time.

I wish people would stop referring to HJ ~ whoever he might be! This is Car4play and it exists on its own merits, which are abundant.
Latest Forum Posts