Computer Related > What's the best way to uninstall a programme? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 12

What's the best way to uninstall a programme? - L'escargot
I've been advised by my antivirus company to uninstall the software and then reinstall it ~ in order to get the modem icon to return to the systray. It seems I have a choice of how to uninstall it. Which is best?
(a) Start>Control panel>Add or Remove programs.
(b) Start>All Programs, and then use the uninstall facility provided by the antivirus company.
 What's the best way to uninstall a programme? - John H
>> I have a choice of how to uninstall it. Which is best?

Both methods should result in the same uninstaller getting launched.

In answer to your question in the title "What's the best way to uninstall a programme?", some antivirus companies (Mcaffee, Norton, Webroot) have their own total uninstallers but you have to find them. For example, Webroot has two named CleanWDF.exe and WRUpgradeTool.exe and their instructions involve using these two one after the other. There is also a WRCleanupTool.exe from www.techworld.com/

Last edited by: John H on Fri 29 Oct 10 at 09:59
Sorry, the link should be download.techworld.com/147/webroot-removal-tool/
It is claimed to be a webroot official tool.

Also from here
www.pcadvisor.co.uk/downloads/windows/index.cfm?catId=14&id=147
Last edited by: John H on Fri 29 Oct 10 at 10:05
 What's the best way to uninstall a programme? - VxFan
As said, either method.

Then run ccleaner to clean up any registry entries that escaped the cleanup.

Don't forget to create a restore point before you start though.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 29 Oct 10 at 10:25
 What's the best way to uninstall a programme? - J Bonington Jagworth
"Then run ccleaner to clean up"

Ccleaner has its own link to the uninstall list, which somehow loads up far more quickly than Microsoft's own. It's also very useful to getting rid of (or parking) startup items that install themselves without asking. Speeds up boot times quite noticeably...
Found a link where official full uninstallers for some of the mainstream AVs are listed
www.mrdavenguyen.co.cc/2010/10/uninstall-antivirus-softwares.html

>> Sorry, the link should be download.techworld.com/147/webroot-removal-tool/
>> It is claimed to be a webroot official tool.

Thanks John H. It is in fact Webroot that I have.
 What's the best way to uninstall a programme? - Stuartli
If a program or application has its own Start>Programs>name of program/application Uninstaller I always use that version.
>> Sorry, the link should be download.techworld.com/147/webroot-removal-tool/

I uninstalled using the above tool and then reinstalled. I think Webroot could have been more helpful. Their response to my trouble ticket was "Please uninstall and reinstall your software." but they gave no instructions. As it happens, the modem icon is still absent from the systray so their suggestion didn't effect a cure. Fortunately the icon isn't vital.

Thanks to everyone for your assistance.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Fri 29 Oct 10 at 17:38
 What's the best way to uninstall a programme? - rtj70
Was it definitely a modem icon? Or was it a network connection icon?

Do you plug the computer directly into the modem or does it connect to the modem/router via Ethernet?
>> but they gave no instructions. As it happens, the modem icon is still absent from
>> the systray so their suggestion didn't effect a cure. Fortunately the icon isn't vital.
>>

You can but try
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=3357&m=67752&v=e

or
reinstall your modem software.

What's the best way to uninstall a programme? - Roger.
Try using (free) REVO uninstaller.
If the uninstalled program requires a re-boot - don't re-boot. Let REVO do all of its job first & then re-boot.
Many security programs leave "bits" behind, so if there is a dedicated maker's removal tool, I would use that after a re-boot. Then use the registry cleaner part of Ccleaner.
You will sometimes find other left behind bits, not just in the registry, but also in the application data folders usually found in C/your user name/appdata, plus C/all users/appdata and C/default/appdata.
I clear these out too!
Then re-boot again!
>> or
>> reinstall your modem software.

Thanks once more, John H. I've just done it and the icon has come back. It's so blindingly obvious that I just wish I'd thought of it myself instead of displaying my ignorance. It was the modem software that put the icon on the systray in the first place so reinstalling it should (and did) make it return.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 30 Oct 10 at 10:08
Latest Forum Posts