Computer Related > Server name Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 7

Server name - Ambo
I need to know the server name for my (unbranded) computer. Can anyone tell me how to find it please?
 Server name - Clk Sec
This might help:

tinyurl.com/2we4p7h
 Server name - John H
>> I need to know the server name

Why?

Server name - Tooslow
Ah! The host name. Needed when sharing files with other pcs.

John
 Server name - Ambo
In my case (and very oddly, I think) I need it to prepare a list for printing sheets of address lables. I am using Word in Windows 7. I have prepared the list in Excel but the system won't let me get on with merging them etc. unless I give the server's name. The Help facility does not help (does it ever?).
 Server name - John H

>> for printing sheets of address lables. I am using Word in Windows 7. I have
>> prepared the list in Excel but the system won't let me get on with merging
>>
try

office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/use-mail-merge-to-create-and-print-letters-and-other-documents-HA010081976.aspx

and

www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm

Server name - Tooslow
You are becoming indispensable John :-)

John
 Server name - Ambo
Thank you, Clk Sec and John H. I can't get any further with the URLs you quote than I had. I made a mailing list in Excel and then prepared a Word document for the mailmerge. I got as far as Use Existing List and was referred to Select Data Sources dialogue box which did not in fact appear. I selected my worksheet from the lefthand side of the box that did appear and a represenation of the label sheets appeared but there were no details in them except for <>. This seemed an invitation to type each lable in separately but as there are 91 addressees I would be grateful for any leads as to how to get the worksheet details into the boxes direct.

There was no problem before, when I had Windows XP, but Windows 7 doesn't respond.
Latest Forum Posts