Computer Related > TV Dead :-( Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 35

TV Dead :-( - zippy
Samsung Q900 8k TV

5 years and 3 months old and it wont turn on.

It's showing a red LED under the Samsung logo where there is hidden on / off switch but nothing happens. It's not responding to either the Samsung or Sky remote. I've unplugged it. Reseated cables etc. but to no avail.

Not happy as it's a £3k set.

Local TV repair people are thin on the ground as TVs have become "disposable".

I'll call the Samsung helpline tomorrow but I am not holding out much hope.

TV Dead :-( - Bromptonaut
£3k for a telly box!!

Kinnel.
lol

Yes, flagship model. 8k 75 inch.

Yes, one of my silly moments when times were good - interest rates were low etc.

Couldn't afford the same today - which is one of the reasons I'm peed off.
 TV Dead :-( - Biggles
Is there a reset function, keeping the power button pressed for 10 seconds?
 TV Dead :-( - smokie
To me a Samsung failing at 5 years sounds unlikely.

Red light on means it's off (I think you know that :-) ). If it won't turn on by the remote have you tried using the on/off on the telly (or did you mean you'd tried that?) - could just be a remote problem.

I'd also unplug everything else - inputs, sound bar etc, as I recall one telly years ago took an aversion to something which was plugged in (might have been a USB stick)

Also unplug it and leave it unplugged for a few minutes to allow it to discharge.
 TV Dead :-( - VxFan
Usual cause is a failed capacitor on the power supply PCB.

I've replaced several over the years for friends and family for less than a fiver, and the TV, stereo, computer, etc have carried on working for many more years.

Depending on how competent you are, and you can find the power supply PCB after taking the TV apart, look for any capacitors that look swollen.

See www.robotroom.com/Faulty-Capacitors-1.html for more info.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 14 Oct 24 at 10:42
Thanks for all of your replies!

I have gone through all of the suggestions and no luck.

The red light is on - but flashes occasionally. The web based Samsung Fault Finder suggests a workshop repair is needed due to a likely power fault.

The screen itself is heavy at 95lbs! It is connected to a black box about the size of a couple of shoe boxes by a fine wire. The black box has the power supply and HDMI inputs etc.

I have checked the fine wire - there are no obvious kinks or tears. A replacement is about £80 (£70 to £195 depending on where you order it from).

There is a regular "clicking" sound that comes from the TV - I can't track down if it's the panel or black box - but it goes when the thing is switched off. I guess it could be the fans inside the unit.

I am away for a few days and will have a look when I get back - hopefully it is a capacitor job only.

TV Dead :-( - bathtub tom
Could it be one of the fans failed? If the system's detected this, then it may have shut down?
>> Could it be one of the fans failed? If the system's detected this, then it
>> may have shut down?
>>

How would I go about testing that?
 TV Dead :-( - Kevin
Try asking on Onlyfans?
>> >> Could it be one of the fans failed? If the system's detected this, then
>> it
>> >> may have shut down?
>> How would I go about testing that?

You have a look!
 TV Dead :-( - Zero
Clicking? Red light flashing? Power supply deffo

Probably a cap(s), but they can take out other stuff when they go.
Thanks again all and .... Doh! re BTT ;-D, I will look at the weekend when I get home from work.

In the meantime Mrs Z has to make do with a budget 4k Toshiba (from Turkey is my guess).
Last edited by: zippy on Mon 14 Oct 24 at 18:42
>> I will look at the weekend when I get home from work.

And the outcome was........
 TV Dead :-( - tyrednemotional
...let him have his "duff duff moment" a bit longer. ;-)
>> ...let him have his "duff duff moment" a bit longer. ;-)
>>

Oh har-de-har ;-D

Still dead.

Local TV repair men seem to have died out as TVs become "disposable" items.
Still dead Zippy?
>> Still dead Zippy?
>>

No, I am 100% alive! :-D

The TV on the other hand is as dead as the proverbial do do.

When I get some time I will hunt down a local repair co. All the ones I have called so far want the TV shipped to them which is not practical as it weighs almost 100lbs without packaging.
Last edited by: zippy on Thu 24 Oct 24 at 10:21
Have you got any repair cafés in your area?
Usually found via local Facebook groups, and offer repair of all kinds of things from clothes, electronics, etc.
 TV Dead :-( - T junction
www.repaircafe.org/en/
But would have to transport it to them, (and that sounds quite a beast) so best to contact them first as the skills of the volunteers can vary a lot between cafés. We have one volunteer at ours that would probably relish a go at that, but we are in Cumbria!
>> www.repaircafe.org/en/

There are 3 in my local area within a 10 mile radius of each other. That website doesn't list any of them.
 TV Dead :-( - T junction
Interesting! Do they run under the umbrella of the international organisation? Our details are listed on the site and are up to date, despite moving premises about 2 months ago.
Thanks T junction.

Will have a good look when I finish work later...
 TV Dead :-( - Biggles
Did you try the reset trick I mentioned earlier?
>> Did you try the reset trick I mentioned earlier?
>>

Yes, but no luck unfortunately.
 TV Dead :-( - R.P.
is there any chance of goodwill from supplier or Samsung ?
>> is there any chance of goodwill from supplier or Samsung ?
>>

I brought it from Samsung direct. Currently their call centre just say it's out of warranty - can't do anything. I will try and find someone higher up to talk to.

Final option might be s75 as I purchased it on a credit card. They will want proof that it's a manufacturing defect rather than just wear and tear and will take off an element for use.
How long was the warranty?
I was convinced it was 5 years, but they say 1 and I can't currently find the order email - typically.

The set was 5 years old in August.
 TV Dead :-( - martin aston
Our local Euronics outlet (South West England) are very good and advertise TV repair. Do you have one locally? I also looked on Checkatrade and they have a TV Repair category although none local to me (they don’t list the Euronics one). It might be worth checking for your area, you might strike lucky.
Have you tried local social media for recommendations? You might have to look for electronic repair rather than specifically TV.

TV Dead :-( - tyrednemotional
Well, you could always try the Samsung route via an Authorised Repair Centre.

www.samsung.com/uk/support/repair/

It says they'll pick up and return TVs under 84".

Unlikely to be cheap, but it just might be a viable route.
I'm told Checkatrade is pretty much that the trader pays a not-inconsequential fee to get listed.

There is no proper check on their work but obvs there are a often reviews. However Like AirBnB the reviews seem mostly positive or very positive, but I don't believe they can all be that good!!
>> I'm told Checkatrade is pretty much that the trader pays a not-inconsequential fee to get
>> listed.
>>
>> There is no proper check on their work but obvs there are a often reviews.
>> However Like AirBnB the reviews seem mostly positive or very positive, but I don't believe
>> they can all be that good!!

I've been told the traders can have reviews removed!

There's a local radio consumer programme that seems to consist largely of folk that googled builder/roofer etc and got someone who could start work immediately, but wanted full payment up front.
>>Final option might be s75 as I purchased it on a credit card.

Don't expect anything to happen soon! I'm currently going through the S75 procedure that started back in 12/23! Independant inspection and report shows the supplier to be at fault. CC company have credited me, but supplier has gone through chargeback, which means they've 45 days to challenge the refund.

I've not posted any reviews (yet) on the original company, but am waiting until after the 45 day period.

May see me yet, marching up and down outside their shop with a damn great placard.
 TV Dead :-( - R.P.
From CAB website

Consider using your legal rights instead

It may be easier to get your money back, a repair or replacement without using your warranty or guarantee.

Find out if it’s easier to use your legal rights on faulty goods instead. It’s usually easier within the first 6 months. You have legal rights for up to 6 years (5 years in Scotland) if there’s a fault.

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/somethings-gone-wrong-with-a-purchase/return-faulty-goods/
>> Interesting! Do they run under the umbrella of the international organisation?

No idea. I've just seen mention of them on FaceBook. They all seem to fall under the category "Sustainable"
Latest Forum Posts