Computer Related > Little green ticks
Thread Author: neiltoo Replies: 7

Little green ticks - neiltoo
After a recent Windows update, my elderly Ideapad (W8.1) now shows a small tick on a green background at every desktop file icon, and also against files in all the folders.

Anyone know why? It's not affecting anything, but it's very annoying.

How can I stop it?

TIA
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 21 Aug 24 at 13:31
 Little green ticks - tyrednemotional
It shows that the indicated files/folders are being backed up to OneDrive.

That means they are being synchronised with Cloud Storage.

I've known updates turn this on.

It shouldn't cause you any great problems unless you're on a slow or metered network connection, but I prefer not to have it active.

You could Google how to turn the facility off, the following is just an example.

www.easeus.com/computer-instruction/remove-green-check-mark-desktop-icons.html#:~:text=Green%20check%20marks%20on%20desktop,why%20you%20see%20the%20marks.
Thanks for that. Interesting site, and unusually easy to understand.

However, I've never signed up to any MS products except Windows and Office, so I can't access Onedrive!

I'll continue with Google.

Cheers
not unexpectedly, not much about W8 plenty on 10 and 11.

However, most show green ticks on white circles. Mine are white ticks on green squares, at the place where the arrow indicating a short cut on the application icons.

As I said, I'm not signed up to Onedrive, and it doesnt appear as a drive in "My computer".

I'll continue to puzzle!
Might be a similar type of notification for backup if you're using Norton.

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-are-there-green-check-marks-and-blue-arrows-on/752a9e1f-b754-4f2a-92d6-aa2e89739f08

Little green ticks - smokie
Do Windows 8.1 machines still get an update? Apparently so according to the OP but not here. support.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/install-the-windows-8-1-update-kb-2919355-b189a9bd-0b33-f4a4-2092-4a5be0ebcb61
TBH, I was interpreting "recent Windows update", not "recent Windows Update" ;-)

(The square box with white tick appears to be a Norton thing - maybe not exclusively - so maybe something in that area. I believe Norton still support 8.1)
Thanks, I have Norton, so I will investigate that.

Cheers
Latest Forum Posts