Computer Related > PC Sleep Settings Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 7

PC Sleep Settings - Duncan
My month old PC goes to sleep when left unattended for a while. No problem with that, my question is - what actually happens when it goes to sleep and where can I access the settings for sleep mode?

PC Sleep Settings - borasport
What operating system ?

It's usually in Control Panel, 'power settings' in XP, 'hardware & sound' then 'power options' in W7
 PC Sleep Settings - Stuartli
Best to use Hibernate rather than Sleep; Hibernate undertakes a full Save of current settings, web pages etc before shutting down and when the system is re-booted, returns it to the status quo.

Sleep, however, is basically Standby and, if you have a power cut or other problem, you could/can lose a little or even a lot of unsaved data.

I have my Windows7 system to Shut Down if I use the Start menu route and to go into Hibernation if I press the system case button.

At the end of the day or if going out I always do a proper Shut Down.
>> What operating system ?
>>

Windows 7
If you go into the full Windows7 Control Panel menu>Power Options and select a Power Plan, you can choose what you wish the system to do if you are away for a time.

Most people will select the Balanced option and then configure to their requirements (Change Plan Settings).

Perhaps, in my ignorance, I was using 'sleep' as a generic. Perhaps my machine does go into 'hibernate'. How can I tell?
See:

www.intowindows.com/how-to-enable-hibernate-option-in-windows-7/

IIRC (it's a while ago now) I selected Hibernate if pressing the system case button. I'd used XP Pro for eight years until recently, so still finding out 7's little quirks although it is very intuitive.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sun 10 Oct 10 at 10:42
 PC Sleep Settings - VxFan
>> Perhaps my machine does go into 'hibernate'. How can I tell?

On both my desktop and laptop, in standby mode the power light flashes on and off. In hibernate it goes off and stays off until I wake either of them up.
Latest Forum Posts