Computer Related > Mobile Phone Caller ID - Outgoing Call Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 11

Mobile Phone Caller ID - Outgoing Call - Bromptonaut
One for our techies.

As is common knowledge here I am currently a professional Welfare Rights Adviser. Normally, I use a work mobile for professional calls but for some reason the phone/service I was provided with will not support 3 way calling. So if I need to do a 3 way call with a client and DWP I turn off caller ID and use my own phone. Carrier is Lyca who piggy back on EE.

Today I tried to call Universal Credit on their public facing number 0800 328 5644.

When it connects it shows on my phone as 'Our Newham Money', a debt/money etc service sponsored by LB Newham.

So question is how does it work and who provides the links in that circumstance?
 Mobile Phone Caller ID - Outgoing Call - VxFan
Presumably you haven't got the number stored in the phone's address book assigned with that name?

Other than that, I can't see how Our Newham Money are pinging back their name to your mobile.
Never had any involvement with Our Newham Money. The UC number is stored in my phone but not assigned a name - it's used so often I don't need reminding.

Calls being labelled with a name, incoming or outgoing, is now quite common on mobiles. Not the first time I've been involved with one that's wrong. I was previously on a CA project for Anglian Water. Our numbers cane up on some phones as Thames Water, although we were working on behalf of Anglian there are parts of AW's area where they do the supply and Thames waste of vice versa.
 Mobile Phone Caller ID - Outgoing Call - Zero
The UC service has probably outsourced a proportion of the calls to a third party call centre. Newham because of your mobile entry into the network.
 Mobile Phone Caller ID - Outgoing Call - tyrednemotional
^this.

If you check the Google reviews for Our Newham Money, it confirms such an arrangement.
Cheers TnE, would you be able to link me to those reviews?
 Mobile Phone Caller ID - Outgoing Call - tyrednemotional
Can't do a direct link, (it is "scripted"), but if you Google "our newham money" it brings up a page with a side panel, from which the reviews are selectable and will pop-up.

Sample:

The fact that our universal credit is outsourced to a company that not only makes you wait 20 mins before even being placed on hold due to a terrible computer system that asks questions the advisor will ask anyways and miss understands your....
Ahh, I'm reading those reviews as being from people like me who've called 0800 328 5644 and then had Our Newham Money come up as the owner of the number they're calling.

At the moment, if you ring UC, you get a message telling you that they're improving their call handling with a 'virtual assistant'. After enduring that you're then tipped into the usual selsct 1 for appointments, 2 for queries etc ping pong. That seems to be what the reviewer describes as does the stuff about asking questions and not understanding the answers.

Our Newham Money is an LA funded money advice centre. Trying to manage the conflicts between that and being a DWP contractor actually dealing with claims is a step I'd not want.

The Help to Claim service which CA provides with DWP funding is different becuase our responsibility is to the client and we will take up cudgels for them with DWP.
Seems to be a Lyca thing. Mrs B's phone gets same Our Newham Money thing as mine.

Work phone, on EE, goes through correctly to UC without any mention of ONM.

Client was sorted by using the stuff we on PCs have for Adviceline etc. My project is not normally given access but I have due to having done Adviceline in the past.

I've emailed Our Newham Money to let them know.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 12 Jul 24 at 16:35
>> Seems to be a Lyca thing. Mrs B's phone gets same Our Newham Money thing
>> as mine.

It will be the point of presence onto the voice network from the Mobile phone company.
Can you explain what you mean by 'point of presence'?
>> Can you explain what you mean by 'point of presence'?

Your mobile phone is essentially roaming, geographically. To connect to a land line it has to meet the BT /openreach network. Where your mobile phone network links into the landline is the place where it gets some location identification. Could be that the outsourced help desk is set up to cover a geographic area, and you pop into the network near them.

My Virgin landline think I am in Slough, cos that's the nearest VM datacenter.
Latest Forum Posts