Computer Related > Printer Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 12

Printer - smokie
Seems my Epson XP820 all in one is giving up the ghost. It dumped load of ink from one of the black cartridges (I think the photo black, but it's hard to tell until I have a bit more time with it) out of the bottom. The photo black looked empty so I just replaced it and printed something and there is a new puddle so I guess it's that one. It won't run without the cartridge in. I'm sure some might say it's due to using cheap cartridges but it has actually been quite heavily used with cheap cartridges all it's like so I'm not that concerned.

Also sometimes it takes ages (like 10 minutes) to receive and print a page, and the scanner has some fairly serious vertical lines on each scan. So it's probably time it went.

I'd be interested in any recommendations in still-available printers - up to £200 tops, needs to be wireless and have print and scanner with document feeder. And ideally capable of using non-OEM cartridges.
 Printer - Crankcase
In classic "not answering the question but questioning your decision" internet manner, just get a laser. No expensive manky ink cartridges, fast, works, good quality, can be small.

I swapped for one a couple of years ago, and like the man who broke his neck, I've never looked back.
 Printer - Bromptonaut
I've bought a laser printer/scanner, see other thread, but it's monochrome only. Fine for what I need it for and I've got a cheapish inkjet for colour.

Last time I looked at colour laser printers was when I was working in the Quango when they were silly expensive though a necessity in the office.

Are they more reasonable now?
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 12 Jun 24 at 09:17
 Printer - Zero
>> In classic "not answering the question but questioning your decision" internet manner, just get a
>> laser.

In Classic "not answering the question but arguing with you comment in a dismissive and belittling " internet manner

Pffttt overkill.
 Printer - smokie
I did look at lasers after your comments but they seem pricey when with an ADF, unless we go for mono (which would suit me, and 95% of our printing needs!

In the end we've gone for a cheap HP which isn't the spec we are used to but really ought to suffice - and if it doesn't I'll change it. This is the one www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/product.aspx?id=588k4b&opt=687&sel=prn (HP DeskJet 4220e) but a bit cheaper for a used one from Amazon Warehouse. I'm not planning to take the Instant Ink option.
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 13 Jun 24 at 12:13
 Printer - Falkirk Bairn
I bought an Epson last August - scanner/printer - I paid £50

About a months ago I saw the same printer in Lidl £30 - presumably now an old model on clearance.

It will cost me more to buy replacement cartridges!

I do not use the printer very much - hence the old Epson lasted over 10 years.
 Printer - VxFan
>> It will cost me more to buy replacement cartridges!

That used to be the case with Lexmark printers.
 Printer - Falkirk Bairn
Lexmark left the "Home PC Printer Market" a long time ago.

Selling home printers at "little more than cost "and making money on supplying ink did not work when compatible ink was very cheap.

Lexmark Business machines are still sold to companies. Very large companies often pay rental plus cost per page rather than buying printers, buying ink/toner & paying maintenance.
 Printer - bathtub tom
>> I did look at lasers after your comments but they seem pricey when with an
>> ADF,

Why do folk insist on using these e***** 3LAs (three letter acronyms), that mean nothing to most of us and even less when we google them: www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=ADF
 Printer - smokie
Sorry! Automatic Document Feeder!! Helpful when scanning a multi page document to save you loading each page individually. In fact I probably scan more than I print as most "official" documents/letters etc are not kept as paper.
 Printer - Bromptonaut
>> Sorry! Automatic Document Feeder!! Helpful when scanning a multi page document to save you loading pages

Most things I do are only a few sheets or, like DWP forms, stapled in a booklet. I have an App on my work phone which deals well with the latter saving them as a PDF which can be attached to case records.

West Northants Council though insist Daventry residents complete a paper form for Housing Benefit applications. Had one to do for a client last week. Runs to about 30 pages though a lot are about partners or Dependents/Non Dependents so can, for a single person be left blank. Could have used an ADF for that!!
 Printer - smokie
I'm sure I've got a scanning app on my phone - wish I'd thought of trying it for my scanning needs.
 Printer - smokie
So a day after setting up my new cheapo printer a super duper office strength colour laser printer appeared on Freegle. It's an HP Laserjet Pro.

I just collected it and set it up - goodness it's a heavy beast! But disappointed to find it has no scanner and duplex is "manual" i.e. it prints odd sides then you put the paper back in and it prints even sides - though I can't even get that going properly yet. Maybe a driver issue - to be resolved!

I don't feel I can send the other one back to Amazon now I've opened it and set it up as I don't think they could resell it. Yet the new one would be a LOT cheaper for consumables if I kept it. The cartridges are good for thousands of pages.

My current thinking is I will keep the Amazon one but use the LaserJet till the ink is much lower and see how I get in. Obv will have to depend on scanning on the phone. I suspect eventually the Laserjet will go back on Freegle. It is a shame it didn't come up 48 hours earlier though!!
Latest Forum Posts