Computer Related > Windows 10 support
Thread Author: Dave Replies: 9

Windows 10 support - Dave
Had the message the other day about support ending, and laptop not being able to update to 11. Is it reasonable to carry on using it and rely on Mcafee etc?
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 27 May 24 at 17:58
 Windows 10 support - Bromptonaut
There are a lot of businesses still using W10 and I'd not be surprised if whatever has been announced has the date pushed forward.

My own desktop, last time I checked, was not W11 capable and while lack of support might increase risk I'd not regard it as a show stopper sending me scurrying to Currys for a new PC.
 Windows 10 support - smokie
"There are a lot of businesses still using W10 and I'd not be surprised if whatever has been announced has the date pushed forward."

It's been known about for some time but it is a major MAJOR upgrade as so many companies and individuals will need new hardware. I expect the date will stick but as above our machines will still work, just keep the virus checkers up to date and back important stuff up regularly!

I recall something around the NHS having to pay a small fortune to extend XP support after it went EOL. Maybe there will be a similar offering for businesses for Win 10.

A bit off topic but a cheap fanless tiny desktop machine (I5 processor) I bought from China arrived this week. Seems pretty good so far - it comes with Windows 10 but can take 11. About £120 I think, and better specs weren't much more.
 Windows 10 support - Zero
There is a business support package for win 10, that is chargeable
 Windows 10 support - Bromptonaut
>> There is a business support package for win 10, that is chargeable

We cannot migrate to Win11 at work due compatibility issues with some tools we use. If they cannot sort it we'll be paying. I was previously having to postpone upgrades to 11 but I had been allocated a consumer laptop bought in panic at lockdown.

Now I've got a proper corporate one locked down tighter than a ducks bottom.
 Windows 10 support - zippy
>> There is a business support package for win 10, that is chargeable
>>

Yes, we subscribe to it. It is very expensive. We did the same for Win 7 (or whatever came before).

Reasoning being that it takes an age to test all software for compatibility with the new o/s.
 Windows 10 support - Falkirk Bairn
Safe enough in all probability as long as the anti-virus is kept up to date.
A problem might occur if you use software that requires Windows 11 or you buy a new printer and there are no drivers for it on your Windows

That said, I buy a new laptop every 5 years or so for reliability issues. Easier to buy at leisure than be forced into a quick buy when the laptop screen/ disk goes.

A known brand of reasonable spec laptop 14/15"might be £300 upwards. A son bought his daughter an ASUS low end machine (Celeron) for university last August £170 - cheap if dropped or stolen - only issue is comparatively low battery life but then again £170 for a laptop not a Chromebook.
Son has been there, got the T-shirt and a refund on 2 Chromebooks which were rubbish - bought for granddaughter whilst she was in final years at school.

End of 1st year already & the Asus was 100%, as was the granddaughter's passes!
The granddaughter has her dad's older Apple laptop at home and all data is backed up to cloud with the ASUS & Apple synched.
 Windows 10 support - Zero
W10 here, and will stay that way, till I build my next pc.
 Windows 10 support - Biggles
It's possible to install W11 on devices with older processors than those on the 'allowed' list. I have it on a 7-series i7 powered device, for example. What are you using?
 Windows 10 support - Dave
I’ve got an old W10 mainly ised for surfing, email, and a bit of offline stuff, all backed up to onedrive and mirror image, bit also a newer W10 that can be updraded to 11, that has my business stiff on it -CAD, accounts etc. I guess I’ll upgrade that, even though it doesn’t connnect to the net very often. It was bought so I wasnt in the poo business wise should the older one go bussoms up.

Fortunately my CAD and CAM Vista machine isnt connected to anything, other than the CNC machine.
Latest Forum Posts