Computer Related > Disposing of old PC
Thread Author: NortonES2 Replies: 8

Disposing of old PC - NortonES2
SiL has asked what to do to ensure her PC is disposed of safely. My reply: "Suggest use something like this download.cnet.com/Eraser/3000-2092_4-10231814.html?tag=mncol which is freeware. Supposed to obliterate data. Remove anything you might want to keep, like documents and photos to a portable drive, beforehand. Then remove hard drive and smash it! Not kidding. I could do that. The casing, monitor might be given to someone, but ensure a new hard drive is fitted and your old one is destroyed. Take the remains to the recycling centre."

I may be missing something - partly because I is certainly not an expert on MS operating systems etc. Or Mac for that matter. Anything important I should add to the advice? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by: NortonES2 on Mon 4 Oct 10 at 20:26
 Disposing of old PC - MD
Don't they retire?
 Disposing of old PC - R.P.
Take the hard disc to bits and cut the magnetic disc up into bits....recycle the rest.
 Disposing of old PC - smokie
I do think that destruction of a disk is not really necessary if you have run a quality multi-pass wiping tool (www.killdisk.com is my fave). It's a sign of paranoia (or guilt) and the chances of someone finding something on the disk after a "proper" wipe are pretty slim. I once took apart an old disk but that was more to find out how they work...
 Disposing of old PC - NortonES2
Thanks. It seems worth just taking a hammer to the disc in any event. Not sure SiL could deal with wiping tool. Smokies comment on finding out how they work led me to this: www.electricstuff.co.uk/
 Disposing of old PC - Robin the Technician
Just format the HD - it will erase all the information but leave the HD to be completely re-useable for the next operator.
 Disposing of old PC - smokie
...and with your data reasonably easily recovered. A multi pass wipe with special erasing software is the minimum.
 Disposing of old PC - Bellboy
i just downloaded this www.dban.org/
i am sure stuarti recommended it on the dark side?

edit.......takes about 2 hours so you need to leave it run........
Last edited by: Bellboy on Tue 5 Oct 10 at 12:43
 Disposing of old PC - Victorbox
>> Just format the HD - it will erase all the information but leave the HD
>> to be completely re-useable for the next operator.

You are joking aren't you?!!
Latest Forum Posts