Computer Related > Saving Documents Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 4

Saving Documents - Ambo
I used .rtf form for years to save space. This doesn't alllow of passwords, in which case I use .doc. The programme is Word 97 - 2003

Since getting a new computer, with Windows 7, I find that .rtf documents take up to 50% more space than *.doc. Is this normal? What is the best space-saving form please?
 Saving Documents - Falkirk Bairn

>>
>> Since getting a new computer, with Windows 7, I find that .rtf documents take up
>> to 50% more space than *.doc. Is this normal? What is the best space-saving form
>> please?
>>
This is a non-problem, RTFs take 50% more space, so what!

Your new PC HDD might be 3,4............10 times old PC capacity.

In life there are things to worry about and things to forget.........you "problem" is the latter.

Saving Documents - Ambo
It has much more capacity but is filling up very fast.
 Saving Documents - AnotherJohnH
>> It has much more capacity but is filling up very fast.
>>

I'll be startled if it's filling up very fast with word documents - video, yes. audio, maybe.

Anyway, you could always "zip" your documents, or even their folder(s) - in file explorer, rightclick, "send to" compressed (zipped) folder - that will reduce their size to maybe a quarter of what they were, depending on content.
 Saving Documents - Tooslow
d, make sure that the space permitted for system restore points is set to something you are comfortable with and the same for the recycle bin. Since you're using W7 I'll leave you to Click on the Start icon. bottom left, type "Restore" and follow the help. For the Recycle bin, right click it, select Properties and take it from there.

Disk space usage could just be taking these two to the limit after which growth will settle down. If it doesn't then what on earth are you stashing away? As commented, only video or (uncompressed) audio chews up any significant amount of space.

John
Latest Forum Posts