Computer Related > How many email accounts do you have? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 21

How many email accounts do you have? - Iffy
How are they set up?

And are they free, or paid for?

I have a hotmail account I use all the time, a googlemail account as a back-up, and one through work.

Sky may have set one up without me asking, but I've never used it.

Orange offered me email with the mobile dongle, but I have no need for any more addresses.

Hotmail works well, there's never been a problem checking my inbox from different places and computers.

I would be lost without hotmail, which worries me a bit because presumably Microsoft could close my account without warning if they wanted to.

What are your email arrangements?

Last edited by: Iffy on Thu 30 Sep 10 at 09:39
 How many email accounts do you have? - spamcan61
OK let's have a think....

I have one Freeserve personal account for domestic stuff plus online purchases etc.

One Gmail account for job hunting / Linkedin and related stuff.

One Gmail account which is then used to download to my PC (so I have a web copy and a local copy of important messages)

One Gmail account for temporary / disposable use e.g. signing up for newsletters etc.

One Gmail account for general non domestic stuff ( like signing up to forums)

One Plusnet account that came with my broadband subscription, although I don't use it.

One unmonitored Hotmail account I use for flame wars on Usenet.

I think that's the lot!

How many email accounts do you have? - DP
I have a domain with unlimited e-mail accounts. SWMBO and I have one each, and I will periodically create disposable ones to register on websites I don't know or trust, which I subsequently delete when finished with.
I also have a Yahoo account, and a Gmail account, neither of which I have used in ages.
I had a Hotmail account many moons ago back in the early days of the interweb. Even if it is still live, which I doubt, I've completely forgotten the login details.
 How many email accounts do you have? - Crankcase
Just the one work account.

How many email accounts do you have? - Statistical Outlier
One personal, one business.

Both are run on Google Apps free version at the moment. My personal domain has only one address (me), while my small company has 16 people on the domain.

I'm about to upgrade the business domain to the Professional version of Google Apps to get more space, enterprise level control and full (rather than just phone) exchange access for those accounts, which will cost £33 per head per year.
 How many email accounts do you have? - Zero
I have 1 ISP email account
10 Hotmail accounts, spread across .com and .co.uk
5 Gmail accounts.
 How many email accounts do you have? - Tooslow
Two, plus some that I ignore. There is a "family" account and my personal one plus a Yahoo one that I have to have because I am a member of some of their groups and one my ISP provides. I have never looked at the latter two. Could be full of all sorts.

The two I do use are hotmail. I managed to get my name because I saw that .co.uk was coming out so I bagged my name and SWMBO Family one was also available so I bagged that on hotmail.com.

I've been using Hotmail for years, sometimes accessing as web email, on the netbook, otherwise via Live Mail on the Big Thing. I've tried Outlook, which I used when I worked, but it doesn't give me a whole lot that Live Mail doesn't. The reminders are better but I get in knots with too many calendars.

I don't understand why people use ISP email acounts. When you change ISP you've got a problem. If you use Hotmail/Gmail/Yahoo - no problem.

John
 How many email accounts do you have? - smokie
1 work, 1 c4p mod, 1 "proper" personal, 1 junk personal. Plus some added and removed to my domain as required.
 How many email accounts do you have? - RattleandSmoke
Not that many.

I have one paid for address (its a mailbox on my domain) £10 a year.
I have one ftml account
I have one google

Thats it.

My google mail is shared by a Scottish bloke, he hasn't seem to have got the hint that he is giving everybody the wrong email address.
...My google mail is shared by a Scottish bloke, he hasn't seem to have got the hint that he is giving everybody the wrong email address...

Humph's grasp of the internet has always been less than firm.

How many email accounts do you have? - Tooslow
Yes, I get the odd email that is clearly not malevolent, just someone being an idiot. Best one was some daft woman who nominated my email address as being her boyfriend's so he could have a second card on that account. Just been in receipt of a series of emails going back and forth between a lorry, sorry logistics, company and a customer. Apparently customer hasn't paid for some time. I just sit quiet and mark 'em as junk.

John
...going back and forth between a lorry, sorry logistics, company and a customer...

I once received a couple of telephone calls from a person in a large company who was convinced I worked for the same company, but in a different department.

It turned out the real intended recipient of the call, let's call him Mr Smith, had left my number by mistake on his voicemail while he was away.

The person who called me just would not listen, the more I said 'it's not me' and 'Mr Smith is not here', the more they thought I was referring to the voicemail message.

'You've got the wrong number,' I said. 'No I haven't' came the reply. 'I'm calling this number because Mr Smith left it when he went away.'

And so it went on for several minutes, until I managed to just about convince the caller, although I think he thought I was just trying to avoid helping him.

About 15 minutes later, I received a very apologetic call from a female director of the company.

By this time they had sorted it out what had happened.

'Please don't ring off,' she said 'Our Mr Jones is really quite upset to think he might have upset you and wasted your time.'

Fair play to her, the apology was all that was needed.
 How many email accounts do you have? - smokie
I appear to have the same name/similar email address as a high ranking possibly retired top brass somewhere in Portsmouth, as I often get (quite grovelling) emails updating me on various youth projects and inviting me to be an after dinner speaker at Navy do's on different ships. At first I just ignored them but got mails chasing me for replies so 'fessed up, but I still get the occasional mail, apparently as a member of a distribution list.
 How many email accounts do you have? - Roger.
Between SWMBO & I we have around nine or 10.
I have three with Operamail for one-off registrations, four with Gmail, (one is my main one, one joint names, one for SWMBO, one for occasional use), one with live.com, one with my ISP and a defunct one with Hotmail.
Our regular Gmail accounts are all set to send & collect mail using Mozilla Thunderbird, via Gmail's SSL servers, not our ISP's.
We always use Thunderbird to send & receive emails via Gmail unless we are away and our laptop is at home.
We get virtually no spam on Thunderbird using Gmail's pop3 & smtp servers.
 How many email accounts do you have? - J Bonington Jagworth
"I don't understand why people use ISP email acounts."

Because I/we like having them on our own computer. I have some 25k emails (about 8 years' worth) on mine and can find any one in a few seconds. Most ISP's have webmail, so remote access isn't a problem, but I do also use Gmail, which works well, I admit. Not sure how snappy it would be if it was anywhere near full, though!
 How many email accounts do you have? - hawkeye
I've got a hotmail account I use all the time; a Tiscali account (now owned by Talktalk); and Orange account for when I wanted to read my emails on my phone.

This is a really topical thread for me because I access all the mailboxes through my hotmail account and in the last couple of days It's started collecting 400 odd spam emails from my Tiscali account as though someone has removed my spam filters. I don't really know what's happening so I'm monitoring it. There was a message apologising for slow response from Talktalk email "Our engineers are working to solve the problem".

Oh dear.
...I've got a hotmail account I use all the time...

Same here, and it's always worked well.

My only gripe is the ads and other stuff on the inbox screen don't leave a lot of room for the message when viewing on the netbook.

I'd be quite happy to pay a (modest) annual subscription for a clutter-free hotmail account.

How many email accounts do you have? - Netsur
I have one work email on my company domain which is used purely for business.

I have a GMail account for storing things I might need when away from a home or office computer (like scans of passports; next flights booked; travel insurance docs) and a family domain with as many addresses as want.

I tend to use a catch all method apart from one private address, but subscribe to web pages as webpage@familyname.co.uk so I can see who is giving me spam.
Cleaner Hotmail or Live mail.

There is a way to remove clutter - Use Firefox as your browser and then install the add-on "Greasemonkey".
Make sure the little chap is enabled by seeing his smiley face on the browser status bar.
Right click and up pops a little window showing scripts which can be enabled to get rid of annoying features.
I have the following ticked:- Windows Live Mail Ad Blocker, Remove banner Hotmail, Windows Live Hotmail Ad Banner remover, Live Mail ads hider and Windows Live Ad Remover.
Result!
(There are 30 scripts available for various "Live" services!)
I do the same for Gmail.
By the way, there are 11 possible scripts which can be run on THIS forum - mostly generic forum scripts, none of which are enabled by me.
If you also install the add-on "GreaseFire" you can automatically find scripts on Userscripts.org.
...There is a way to remove clutter - Use Firefox as your browser and then install the add-on "Greasemonkey".
Make sure the little chap is enabled by seeing his smiley face on the browser status bar.
Right click and up pops a little window showing scripts which can be enabled to get rid of annoying features.
I have the following ticked:- Windows Live Mail Ad Blocker, Remove banner Hotmail, Windows Live Hotmail Ad Banner remover, Live Mail ads hider and Windows Live Ad Remover...

I've just installed Greaemonkey, the smiley face is in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

It's showing as enabled, but right click brings up a window which says no scripts installed.

You have to install the user scripts which you require.
This is where Greasefire comes in handy - or you can go to www.userscripts.org and choose from their lists.

Here is a link to mine which are installed:

i115.photobucket.com/albums/n297/penfro/Capture-5.jpg

...You have to install the user scripts which you require...

Landsker,

Ah, I think I'm with it now.

Thanks.

Latest Forum Posts