Computer Related > Broadband speedtest Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 39

Broadband speedtest - Pat
I've just done a broadband speedtest and I haven't the foggiest whether the result is bad or good.

63ms PING
5.00 mb/s download
0.36 mb/s upload.

Help please:)

Pat
 Broadband speedtest - Focusless
>> 5.00 mb/s download

If you're on a 2Mb package that's good :)

Do you know what speed you are supposed to be getting eg. '8Mb'?
 Broadband speedtest - Focusless
>> >> 5.00 mb/s download
>>
>> Do you know what speed you are supposed to be getting eg. '8Mb'?

BTW you're getting more than double what we get on our 2Mb package, which is perfectly adequate for normal household stuff.
 Broadband speedtest - Pat
It's supposed to be 'up to 8 MB' and I can't afford online gaming!

Pat
 Broadband speedtest - spamcan61
Those are pretty reasonable figures assuming:-

1) you're on an "up to 8 meg" package

2) you don't do online gaming or massive data uploads/downloads.

Broadband speedtest - Iffy
2008 Kbps down, and 123 Kbps up, using the caravan site's 'free' wi-fi connection.

Does the job, just about.
2926K down, 360K up, 51mS ping.

Generally get a bit higher than that on the download but fine for my purposes.
 Broadband speedtest - Statistical Outlier
8.99 MBit down, 0.49 Mbit up. 13 ms ping. Virgin cable connection, and the first time I've ever tested it when it hasn't just been the full 10 MBit down.
 Broadband speedtest - Tooslow
definitely good, assuming you're on a 8Mb package. You're obviously downhill from the exchange and the bits get to you faster.

I prefer www.speedtest.net/ for credible results.

John
>> definitely good, assuming you're on a 8Mb package. You're obviously downhill from the exchange and
>> the bits get to you faster.
>>
>> I prefer www.speedtest.net/ for credible results.
>>
>> John
>>

Yes, I use that site for my tests, but it does need fairly up to date Flash etc. to work so I don't normally bother linking to it.
I use:

www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/

It was recommended a year or two ago by someone in the other place.

Always seems to load up and work quite quickly.

No idea if it's accurate.
>> I use:
>>
>> www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/
>>
>> No idea if it's accurate.
>>

I imagine all these speed checkers are accurate in that they will report the speed as measured at the time of the test . The speed of a domestic ADSL connection can vary by a factor of two or three quite easily, depending on time of day and, more importantly, how many other users are downloading data at exactly the same time.

You will be sharing your 'data pipe' with anywhere between 20 and 50 other users, if you were all downloading at exactly the same instant you would see a massive drop in speed. In practical terms then you're probably only downloading at the same instant as a few others, hence the speed varies.
 Broadband speedtest - John H
>>
>> No idea if it's accurate.
>>

Do the test a few times over a couple of days, and as spamcan says, include peak usage periods.

Also, to get better accuracy for the ping tests, do the same at www.pingtest.net/
Last edited by: John H on Wed 29 Sep 10 at 14:57
 Broadband speedtest - Dog
0.33 up

2.27 down

57 ping

I know its carp )Plusnet( but it only costs me £18 per month inc. line rental & eve. wknd fone calls calls.
 Broadband speedtest - FocalPoint

BT - £12/month, inc. line rental, eve & w/end calls.
£12/month, inc. line rental, eve & w/end calls ~ you can not be serious!
I'll second that. Special offer? Blackmail?

John
 Broadband speedtest - Dave_
10.00Mbit/sec download
0.85Mbit/sec upload
48 ping to Coventry
Talk Talk, was up to 8Mbit/s service but is now "as fast as your line can get", £6.49 + line rental per month.
 Broadband speedtest - smokie
0.69 up
19.59 down
32 ping

Virgin 20mb connection
...19.59 down....

Strewth, that's a lot of bits and bytes.

You must be able to read my posts before I've sent them.

Broadband speedtest - smokie
I was on school site recently where we were installing a connection that was running at 75mb. Browsing was blindingly fast. I investigated the 50mb connection as a result but can't justify the additional £17 pm
 Broadband speedtest - Bromptonaut
Infrastructure is BT only due location. ISP is Demon, deal up to 8mb

3.6 down

.38 up

Good enough for me.

Broadband speedtest - MD
Asthmatic pigeon up.

Dead Pigeon down.
 Broadband speedtest - FocalPoint
Dog & TS - Special offer to a "loyal customer", they said. I saw no point in refusing.
Last edited by: ChrisPeugeot on Wed 29 Sep 10 at 22:42
Ah. I got a special offer when I threatened to take my broadband elsewhere. Not as special as that though. Just ring 'em and ask for your MAC. You'll get a few superficial questions asking why you are dis-satisfied and then an offer to knock £5 / month off.

In the end I walked because the BT service was just so awful. Zen is utterly reliable, I ALWAYS get pretty much the same line speed, day or night, and if you do ring them they know what they're talking about and they assume that you do too. I can't recommend them highly enough. Expensive but sometimes its worth it.

John
 Broadband speedtest - maltrap
I,m with SKY. 5.9 d/l .6 u/l. Which i get for "free" i pay £5 for all my landline calls including europe 24/7 £11 ish line rental (less than BT) I pay SKY about £60 a month all in including Sky Sport which puts the "free" part into perspective.
 Broadband speedtest - JohnM{P}
Tested (twice on both) just now:
Speedtest: 10.3 down, .36 up, .23 ping

Broadbandspeedchecker: 8.1 down, .38 up

so it looks that besides the perils of differing values depending on time of day, to compare results the same speed check tool needs to be used.

(using Plusnet £15/mth, no telephone package - a certain well known provider would be a lot cheaper, but Plusnet has been very reliable and the one time I did have a have a problem, the technician phoned back and sorted it despite it being late and just before his shift end)
 Broadband speedtest - rtj70
If I did the test at home then:

Download: 38Mbit/s
Upload: 8Mbit/s
Ping: 20ms

BT Internet... Sorry zero :-;
 Broadband speedtest - Stuartli
>> If I did the test at home then:
>>
>> Download: 38Mbit/s
>> Upload: 8Mbit/s
>> Ping: 20ms>>

Published on September 30th by thinkbroadband:

"Virgin Media has today announced it will be upgrading all its cable broadband packages to at least double the upload speeds. Customers on its cheapest package will see an increase from 512Kbps to 1Mbps whilst those on its XXL 'up to 50 meg' service will see an increase from 1.5Mbps to 5Mbps, setting a new standard for broadband services. Customers will not be required to sign a new contract and will receive the upgrade as soon as their area is enabled. Upload speeds of 5Mbps will significantly change what consumers are able to do, such as using some high definition video conferencing platforms."

I'm assuming that the 5Mbps upload speed claim means it is superior to normal broadband.

My own TalkTalk "Up to 24Mb" service averages 14 to 15Mb downstream, 0.8 upstream and ping figures averaging between 15 and 21ms; the figures are updated each day manually by me for TalkTalk Labs purposes.

Ironically my "old" system still returns somewhat better returns against a new triple core CPU/Windows7 Dell system...:-)
Last edited by: Stuartli on Tue 5 Oct 10 at 18:30
Its getting better ~ 2544 Kbps download ... 375 Kbps up.

Must be the weather!
Someone has weed on the string.

But seriously... you may find this helpful.

www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php

You only need two wires for your phone to work. The other wires can pick up interference and slow your broadband connection. Removing the excess connections is essentially what an iPlate does, but you can achieve the same results free. I've done this and I have seen an improvement in line speed. Don't ask how much, it was too long ago to remember.

The bit about removing excess wires is the relevant part.

John
Thanks John, I can see that my filters ARE in the wrong place,

I've read about the iPlate so for what they cost I may as well go for that too :)
When I got my broadband installed by BT, there was some old 'star wiring' in the new house. It meant download was less than 512Kbit/s!!! The Openreach engineer sorted it (disconnected a phone extension that probably comes to my office) and then we got 38Mbit/s.

I mentioned this before because this was all new to me. I previously had Virgin Media and that was always excellent. But I wanted the faster upload (I get 8Mbit/s actual). But someone on here told me/us it was common knowledge about start wiring causing problems for ADSL.

Had I gone for standard ADSL here... getting 512Kbit/s might have made me think that was all I could get. The previous owner cannot have got any better. But when you're expecting upto 40Mbit/s then you know something is wrong. The Openreach guy's test box showed the line speed itself was fine so it had to be the house wiring.
That's why if you ring BT with a fault they will ask you to connect direct to the master socket. Sadly they use it as an excuse more than as a diagnostic :-(

But if anyone here is wondering if they have such a problem it's one way of finding out. Another is to take floorboards up :-(

John
>> Thanks John, I can see that my filters ARE in the wrong place,
>>

What do you mean by "in the wrong place"?

Feel free to correct me, but I thought (maybe wrongly) that the filter filters only the voice signal and not the adsl signal, i.e. the adsl signal gets bypassed by the filter.

re. speeds - the figures are only meaningful if the distance from the exchange is included.

Last edited by: John H on Thu 14 Oct 10 at 11:06
I'm fairly sure the main purpose of the ADSL filter is to stop the ADSL signal getting into the phone; the ADSL modem / router should be relatively unaffected by having a dial tone stuffed up it.
>> I'm fairly sure the main purpose of the ADSL filter is to stop the ADSL
>> signal getting into the phone; the ADSL modem / router should be relatively unaffected by
>> having a dial tone stuffed up it.
>>

I have now looked up various technical articles on this, and just as I thought and as spamcan confirmed, it is only the phone/voice signal that gets filtered. The adsl side lets the signal through in its entirety, i.e. original unfiltered state.

>> re. speeds - the figures are only meaningful if the distance from the exchange is included.

Unless you're talking about:

- Cable broadband which is not affected the same as ADSL. Ultimately you're talking a connection to the Universal Broadband Router (UBR) at the local head-end.

- VDSL (which is what I have with BT) where the distance of importance is to the VDSL street level cabinet. The connection back to the exchange from the street level cabinet is via fibre optic connection. The same approach has been deployed to some remote villages recently giving them very fast Internet after having only dial-up for so long. It's because I have VDSL that I get a 38Mbit/s download and 8Mbit/s upload speed.

>> - VDSL (which is what I have with BT)

You are the exception proving the rule. :-)

>>What do you mean by "in the wrong place"?<<

Well John H, I haven't got a round tuit yet because all my wiring is behind my desk but,
the site that Tooslow posted shows 'the right place' to fit the filters is adjacent to the main BT socket whereas I have a loooooooong extension lead from the BT box with a single filter on the end of that for my dog & bone *and* my old Speedtouch modem,
I know I could improve my speed (possibly) by fitting an iPlate, re siting my filters and maybe going for a router,
but this is Cornwall remember, we do things drecktly down ere :)

Just wait to we go fibre op - that'll show y'all.
Latest Forum Posts