Computer Related > Free registry cleaners Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FocalPoint Replies: 16

Free registry cleaners - FocalPoint
I wondered what people thought of the various free registry cleaners that are available - are they useful at all, and is any one better than the rest?

On the other hand, is it worth paying for one?
 Free registry cleaners - Zero
Never actually noticed any difference afterwards.
 Free registry cleaners - Tooslow
True. Wouldn't look further than ccleaner though.

John
 Free registry cleaners - Dog
I downloaded comodo system cleaner on the 'suggestion' of Stuart,
it found over 1000 errors which is quite possible being my system is nigh on 6 years young,
I'm not an I.T. man, so don't really understand all this mumbo jumbo, but it all sounds very good :)
 Free registry cleaners - Chris S
In my experience they're not free - the scan is and then they ask you to pay to fix all the 'errors' they've found.
I did install and run the comodo system cleaner btw, and removed all the errors with no problems,

Oh, and it WAS free.
 Free registry cleaners - Zero
>> I did install and run the comodo system cleaner btw, and removed all the errors
>> with no problems,
>>
>> Oh, and it WAS free.

Yes yes, but did it feel better afterwards?
>>Yes yes, but did it feel better afterwards?<<

Nah :)
 Free registry cleaners - Iffy
I got myself into a bit of a pickle with a registry cleaner on my laptop.

Probably pilot error, but I ended up doing a re-boot or something.

It took ages, and I'm sure I lost part of my iTunes library.

No gain in speed, and I now get a 'Bluetooth stacking error' information box pop up each time I use the computer.

I don't use Bluetooth - it might still work for all I know - so the error message doesn't matter in that respect.

But it shows something's not quite right, and is a constant reminder of what a balls I made of the job.

Free registry cleaners - spamcan61
>> I got myself into a bit of a pickle with a registry cleaner on my
>> laptop.
>>
>> No gain in speed, and I now get a 'Bluetooth stacking error' information box pop
>> up each time I use the computer.
>>
>>
>> But it shows something's not quite right, and is a constant reminder of what a
>> balls I made of the job.
>>
If you select 'my computer' then 'view system information' then click on the 'hardware' tab, then select 'device manager' it would be interesting to see if your bluetooth device comes up with alittle yellow asterisk by it.

That's in XP by the way, slightly different for Vista and Win7 maybe.

how to do it in Vista:-

windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Open-Device-Manager

and win7

pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/f/open-device-manager-windows-7.htm
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Wed 29 Sep 10 at 13:00
 Free registry cleaners - Iffy
...If you select 'my computer' then 'view system information' then click on the 'hardware' tab, then select 'device manager' it would be interesting to see if your bluetooth device comes up with alittle yellow asterisk by it...

Spamcan,

Thanks for that.

If there is an asterisk, what will it tell me?

I will give your instructions a try, but I hardly use that laptop now.

It's in Iffy Towers and I'm in the caravan, so I'll not get to it for a few days.

Free registry cleaners - spamcan61
An asterisk means that the system has a problem with that specific device, usually the driver file has gone missing or has been corrupted.

This can often be fixed by right clicking on the asterisked item and selecting 'update driver', then let Windows search the 'net for the correct driver.

Again the procedure may be a little bit different in Vista or Win7, I'm mainly still an XP guy.
 Free registry cleaners - John H

>>
>> On the other hand, is it worth paying for one?
>>

No. IMO, you may need to resort to cleaning the registry to get rid of specific old software/drivers, if or when you find it troublesome updating to the latest version of said software/drivers.
 Free registry cleaners - MD
You have all been told reliably about Ccleaner.
 Free registry cleaners - Robin O'Reliant
CC Cleaner worked for me.

I downloaded Trusteer security software as recommended by my online bank and it made a dogs breakfast of everything, slowing the pc to a crawl. Deleting it didn't help and it was only when I installed CC Cleaner and ran it things went back to normal.
 Free registry cleaners - RattleandSmoke
I recomend CC cleaner to clients as its not too brutel. Been experimenting with Comodo sysem cleaner on my own machine and that seems good too.

Trusteer is a tricky one. I hate it as it slows computers down to be almost useless they are brand new but if its not installed and that person is a victim of a password locker type attack I bet the banks would not pay out. I wonder if the bank would have any way of knowing it is installed? I can't see how can it can unless a Java or Activex plugin updates the users settings to their server as apart of the login process.
 Free registry cleaners - Clk Sec
I've been using ccleaner for about 3 years, following a recommendation from several posters on HJ.

Works well for me.
Latest Forum Posts