Computer Related > Wi Fi connection Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 4

Wi Fi connection - Ambo
This is not strictly a computer question, unless you count e-Book readers as special types of computer. I have a new Amazon Kindle and can download books from their site using my BT router. How do I get WI Fi access (preferably free) away from home where - as in MacDonalds - it is not laid on please? The services I have checked online are only for computers. I only want UK coverage.
 Wi Fi connection - spamcan61
I'm not sure if you're asking how to get free wifi coverage throughout the UK- which isn't possible - or how to connect your Kindle to random free wifi networks - like McDonalds? in which case chapter 7 of the user manual here seems to cover it:-

kindle.s3.amazonaws.com/Kindle_User%27s_Guide_English.pdf

Personally I've had no problems connecting to wifi in McD's using a Windows laptop, a Nokia S60 smartphone or my Android 2.1 phone, but I've never got my Ubuntu netbook to connect, so I wouldn't be 100% confident the Kindle will be able to connect without trying it.
 Wi Fi connection - teabelly
I thought the kindle came with a free 3g data connection?
 Wi Fi connection - spamcan61
>> I thought the kindle came with a free 3g data connection?
>>

There are two flavours of the latest version, wifi only for 110 quid or wifi + 3G for 150 quid.
 Wi Fi connection - Ambo
As it stands, my Kindle (£109 version) uses my BT bropadband router for free conjnection but it is tied to Amazon, few of whose titles are free to download. I assumed that, for accessing such free libraries as Project Gutenburg, some kind of paid-for Wi Fi service would be needed. I will try out the free facility provided in an internet cafe to check.
Latest Forum Posts