Computer Related > VPN Computing Issues
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 14

VPN - maltrap
I'm not computer savvy, but i like the idea of VPN.
Can anyone suggest/recommended any particular version of VPN, preferably a free version.
Thanks in anticipation
 VPN - Zero
If you need a VPN a free one is useless to you.

I use NordVPN, not free.
 VPN - VxFan
I use IPVanish. Not free, and as Zero said, the free ones are carp.

Can be used on multiple devices, Firestick, all my Apple devices, and desktop PC running Win 10 at no extra cost.

Keep an eye out, as they quite often have deals on. And just like most other things, when it comes to renewal time, phone them up and say you're not happy with the renewal price they've quoted and you'll more than likely be offered a better deal.
 VPN - Stuartli
I use the free version of ProtonVPN and it's certainly not "carp"..!

tinyurl.com/vrd45rjs
 VPN - Zero
Top ten VPN says:

"ProtonVPN Free is bad for streaming and torrenting
ProtonVPN is useless for streaming. Our tests confirm ProtonVPN Free doesn't work with US Netflix or BBC iPlayer. The VPN is not suitable for unblocking content and won't work with any streaming service. Only has 3 server locations."

end quote.

The paid version is pretty good, and has none of those limitations.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 4 May 22 at 21:54
 VPN - Stuartli
Well I don't have any trouble with streaming and there's no limit on use. There are also dozens of free servers - I normally use the Dutch ones. I link up Potato Streams with ProtonVPN; previously Mobdro until it was closed down...:-(.

A number of my family and friends also use ProtonVPN with full satisfaction, so I don't know why your source is so out of step (unless it's on a commission!!)

As for iPlayer (I don't watch Netflix because I already pay for NowTV, Amazon Prime etc), what's the problem with using it as normal on a SmartTV, Smartphone etc?

Last edited by: Stuartli on Wed 4 May 22 at 23:24
 VPN - sherlock47
I have used NordVPN for the last 3 years, and it works well for IPlayer ITV Hub All4 and Prime for holiday access. BT Sport seem to have got smart and now seem to recognise that it is VPN access, and block which is a pain as I missed last night footy! Anybody got any work arounds?

I used ExpressVPN for about 10years previously but it gradually became more and more unreliable, particularly for I Player access.
 VPN - smokie
Another vote for NordVPN from me. Often as offers which make it much cheaper than it's headline price, I think I paid £70 for three years.

How good it is depends sometimes on what you are using it for. Not everyone is trying to overcome location blocks or reach illegal streams :-)
 VPN - Zero

>> How good it is depends sometimes on what you are using it for. Not everyone
>> is trying to overcome location blocks or reach illegal streams :-)

There is only one *need* for the use of a VPN, and thats if you use an unsecured network, like an internet cafe. Otherwise, at home, its only needed to reach illegal streams or overcome blocks. Like watching BBC Iplayer from your Portugal villa.
 VPN - smokie
Also used when abroad to connect to my private VPN as a local device on my home LAN - allows me a level of device management I can't get if remote, also I can just map my network drives like I'm at home.

Not for everyone I know. I use Wireguard client on PC/phone and wireguard server on a 24x7 Pi at home/

Surely a VPN is also useful at home to stop people who might have hacked your connection from stealing stuff, or avoiid their ISP keeping track of where they've been?
 VPN - Zero

>> Surely a VPN is also useful at home to stop people who might have hacked
>> your connection from stealing stuff,

No, connections at home dont get hacked.

>>or avoiid their ISP keeping track of where they've been?

Exactly, sites to download or stream illegal material*, which brings us back to the original point of my post.

*Or Tractor sites
 VPN - smokie
Couldn't persuade Sky that I was in the UK using NordVPN for the F1 quallies tonight so used the Wireguard VPN back to my home Pi to get it. (I'm in Fuerteventura)
 VPN - VxFan
>> Another vote for NordVPN from me. Often as offers which make it much cheaper than
>> it's headline price,

Groupon have an offer on NordVPN at the moment.

62% Off for 2 Years + Free Threat Protection | NordVPN Discount

www.groupon.co.uk/discount-codes/nordvpn
 VPN - Biggles
NordVPN's own standard discount is 60%. I wonder if you get a bigger discount if you sign up then cancel in the 30 day window.
 VPN - Stuartli
>>..and block which is a pain as I missed last night footy!...>>

No problem for me with Potato Streams and ProtonVPN. It's what I use at home if not watching games over a pint in my club.

Use an Android tablet as a server and link to the TV via a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable.
Latest Forum Posts