Computer Related > Two IT things I learnt today: Laptop Clock & Print Computing Issues
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 5

Two IT things I learnt today: Laptop Clock & Print - zippy
The clock in my work laptop stopped working.

I can't log on to anything. Apparently the clocks need to be synchronised?

I can't set the clock once the laptop is on as it's an admin only option.

Everything I print at work is recorded. I had no idea. I have been using my work iPhone to do some simple tasks while a replacement (refurb) laptop is delivered.

One document was unreadable on the iPhone's screen and so I printed it from the phone to my airdrop printer.

Email (undoubtedly automatic) promptly received detailed what I printed with a snapshot of the first page and asking that I ensure it's shredded after use!

Two IT things I learnt today: Laptop Clock & Print - Bromptonaut
How difficult can it be it's just a clock. It's connected to a network so any jiggery pokery with dates to (say) lay a false trail would be picked up pretty quickly.

Ours at work synchronise to the server. Last week the server was several minutes fast meaning a bit of mental arithmetic to make sure agreed outgoing calls were made on time.

The contracted techie came in and put it right but he's messed up daylight saving time setting so, unless you disable automatic daylight saving at the desktop it's now an hour out.

Somethings like Google Chat (with colleagues off site) and the Guardian website are still time stamping things wrongly. As soon as anybody spoke at PMQs the rolling report showed it as an hour ago.
>>How difficult can it be it's just a clock. It's connected to a network so any jiggery pokery with
>>dates to (say) lay a false trail would be picked up pretty quickly.

It is, but I can't alter the time on it at all as it asks for an administrator's username and password.

First-line helpdesk said the times need to be within a certain tolerance or if not my laptop gets kicked off the network and it rejects my dial in attempt (actually VPN over fibre but you get the gist).

I have no idea why it won't take a time synchronisation from work?

>>Battery defunct.

The laptop is about 2 years old. It was replaced when we upgraded to Windows 10.

Two IT things I learnt today: Laptop Clock & Print - Manatee
I assume laptops still have CMOS batteries to maintain the clock etc.

Your laptop is probably a bit young for it to have died but it's possible I guess. I've only ever had to replace one in an ancient desktop.
 Two IT things I learnt today: Laptop Clock & Print - Falkirk Bairn
I would have switched the laptop off, disconnect the battery.
wait 5 mins and reconnect battery, mains adapter plug in and re-boot.

Cures many a glitch.
>> I would have switched the laptop off, disconnect the battery.
>> wait 5 mins and reconnect battery, mains adapter plug in and re-boot.
>>
>> Cures many a glitch.
>>

Unfortunately it’s not my laptop to do as I wish with.

Oh and the main battery is internal (silly system)!
Latest Forum Posts