Computer Related > Canon multi function - scanning? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Tooslow Replies: 6

Canon multi function - scanning? - Tooslow
I'm sure someone out there can answer this;

I've just got a Canon multifunction printer / scanner, a MG6150, son of the MP640 I believe. I have connected it wirelessly. The installation was really easy except...

is the scanner supposed to work wirelessly too?

The pc just doesn't seem to know it's there and if I press buttons on the unit I'm only offered "Scan to USB connected printer".

W7 downloaded the printer driver during install so I'm wodering if it got upset about that.

I suppose I ought to mention that I still have a separate Canon scanner defined, but not switched on, as it can scan slides and I may want to do this again in the future.

Sorry to be lazy but I've never seen a quick start guide run to 80 pages before. There's 4 languages so it's a pain to read and it is utterly focussed on the printer, the scanner doesn't seem to get a mention.

If I have to plug in a USB cable as well it's disappointing but not the end of the world.

Thanks,
John
 Canon multi function - scanning? - R.P.
My MP560 scans wirelessly.
Thanks PU & Spam. I don't mind spending time sorting it, just want to check I'm not on a wild goose chase before I start/

John
 Canon multi function - scanning? - spamcan61
I set up a similar HP all in one for a neighbour, that would only scan to USB as well, I suppose the unit has no way of knowing what the target for it's scan output would be and so just sticks it on the USB.

EDIT - whoops it does look like the Canons are more capable, this review of the MP640 includes use of the wireless scanning capability.

www.imaging-resource.com/PRINT/MP640/MP640.HTM
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Tue 21 Sep 10 at 13:58
Progress!

Netbook can print and scan wirelessly.

Now I just have to sort out the big beast. I think either the driver W7 installed is messing it up, and it's certainly a Canon one so I'll have to check versions, or the other scanner is upsetting it.

But thanks for the help chaps.

John
 Canon multi function - scanning? - Zero
did you get the main one working?
Yes, thanks.

I must admit to not fully following the "Quick start" guide. It wasn't the 80 pages (for a quick start guide?) that put me off so much as the four languages per page, which rather dented it's readability. And the gap between real life and the manual. So I was quite thrilled when W7 downloaded the driver. I thought that was really whizzy. But it's almost as though it downloaded a printer driver and not one covering the scanner. I had the usual tussle to re-install the driver with Windows insisting it already had one as good or better but got there in the end.

Thanks again.

John
Latest Forum Posts