Computer Related > Using Google Maps on iPhone as a sat-nav Miscellaneous
Thread Author: John Boy Replies: 6

Using Google Maps on iPhone as a sat-nav - John Boy
I don't seem to be able to phrase my query to get the answer to this on Google:

If I set a route plan and start my journey allowing Google Maps to give me audio cues for each turn, will it change the route if a major holdup arises ahead and there is a way round it? I've not used the softwaret enough to find out the answer in practice.
 Using Google Maps on iPhone as a sat-nav - smokie
Yep.

It is also supposed to know (and thereby cater for) planned closures. But not so many years back it didn't know that the M4 was closed overnight near me.
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 14 Apr 21 at 21:33
 Using Google Maps on iPhone as a sat-nav - Dave_
As a former professional driver covering upwards of 100,000 miles a year, I am probably qualified to answer this question.

Yes, Google Maps will alter the planned route if the traffic some way ahead builds up and a faster route is available. It's not foolproof by any means, and is quite slow to take rapidly building traffic into account (such as on a motorway suddenly blocked by a big pile-up).

You would find the Waze app useful. The map colours are different, and it takes a couple of minutes to set up when you've first downloaded it (type of vehicle, fast/economical route etc), but its routing ability and traffic-avoidance are leagues ahead of Google Maps.

Waze will show drivers a progress bar in long queues, and also in average speed camera zones. It also has a small GPS speedometer shown at all times. Waze is actually owned by Google, and a some of its data (such as locations of current accidents) are fed across into Google Maps in real-time.

I find Google Maps better for planning a route before setting off, but Waze is better for navigation on the move.
 Using Google Maps on iPhone as a sat-nav - John Boy
Thanks very much, both of you. I'm trying to persuade a new iPhone owner to use it in this way for a long trip he's about to do. He's done it before, but I've done the plan myself and can see a spot where he may be better on the day to deviate from his normal route.
 Using Google Maps on iPhone as a sat-nav - No FM2R
>>I find Google Maps better for planning a route before setting off, but Waze is better for navigation on the move.

I think that's probably fair, but overall I prefer Google Maps. It may occasionally not quite nail the best route but it very rarely entirely screws up.

Waze is capable of getting itself in a proper knot and requiring a restart.

Google will pretty much always detect a better route, but sometimes it merely offers it to you with a "n minutes shorter" message and you have to actively choose it.

As an aside, we do all know who owns Waze, don't we?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 14 Apr 21 at 23:47
 Using Google Maps on iPhone as a sat-nav - smokie
My marginal preference is Waze (for the little mileage I do these days) and I like the additional info, like police ahead or car stopped on shoulder. Many years back Waze did used to be less reliable but I started using it when I started going to Portugal and much preferred it there.

I did use Google the other day and I see there is a car where I currently am rather than whatever it was before! (A dot?)
 Using Google Maps on iPhone as a sat-nav - Dave_
With the latest iOS update, Apple Maps has now gained some Waze/Google-like functions: accidents, police presence etc in real time. I went out on a 110-mile jaunt today, but forgot to try it.
Latest Forum Posts