Computer Related > Just a Tweak? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 8

Just a Tweak? - Duncan
Just a tweak - or two?

Regulars will know that I have bought a new PC. It is up and running and I have managed to sort out my favourites and such like.

However, I do have one question, for which I would be grateful for any advice.

My old PC, when booting up would go straight to my home page, how do I get the new machine to do that? I am using Windows 7, my home page page is Yahoo Mail UK & Ireland.

Please use simple language. TIA.
 Just a Tweak? - Zero
Do you mean, that when your PC started up, your internet browser started automatically and opened your Yahoo mail site without you doing anything?

Just a Tweak? - Stuartli
If you use Internet Explorer, open your preferred Home page (Yahoo Mail UK & Ireland) in the main window.

Then click on Tools>Internet Options>General tab. Your Home page should be listed on the panel.

If this is correct, click the Use Current button and then click the Apply button and OK.

You must use the Use Current button to ensure your required Home page is the Default.

The routine is pretty similar in Firefox.

As for browser opening from bootup, see:

helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/add-programs-to-windows-7-startup-folder/
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sun 19 Sep 10 at 12:19
 Just a Tweak? - Duncan
>> Do you mean, that when your PC started up, your internet browser started automatically and
>> opened your Yahoo mail site without you doing anything?
>>

Er yes.
 Just a Tweak? - Zero
Ok, assuming this is what you want to happen, and assuming you follwed the instructions given to you earlier to set your home page,

then I assume you have an icon to your desktop for the internet explorer, right click it, drag it to the start globe at the bottom left, still holding the mouse button down all the time, wait for the menu to open, then to all programes, then to startup folder.

It will now autostart, but really you dont want to do this, its all this autostart stuff that helped screw up your old one.
 Just a Tweak? - Duncan
>> but really you dont want to do this, its all this
>> autostart stuff that helped screw up your old one.
>>

OK. Point taken. It tain't a big deal. Thanks for the advice.
 Just a Tweak? - Roger.
According to CCleaner, I have no less than 28 programs which would like to start in my start-up list. Of these, using the Tools function in CCleaner, I allow just eight to actually start and three of those are security programs - Comodo Firewall & D+, MSE - Beta 2.0.375.0, which I am evaluating and Sunbelt's Clear Cloud.
I have not yet got round to disabling unnecessary services from running at start-up - you can find help on this on Black Viper's site, (Google for URL, if you are interested) but Windows 7 starts pretty quickly anyway.
Last edited by: landsker on Sun 19 Sep 10 at 21:17
 Just a Tweak? - Tooslow
8?! I've got 3. Two for Acronis backup and one for Roboform. I'm not entirely convinced that last one is necessary but I can't be bothered. pc starts faster than router anyway.

John
 Just a Tweak? - Stuartli
It's www.blackviper.com ..:-)

Been using it for many years. Disappeared three or four years ago but eventually re-instated.
Latest Forum Posts