Computer Related > Lenovo G580 Hard Drive Failing? Computing Issues
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 145

Lenovo G580 Hard Drive Failing? - Bobby
Couple of weeks ago my laptop started running slow, freezing , hanging etc. Someitmes it was fine (enough to let me fully back up the 600GB of files but other times just cant get it going for any length of time ( Ihave tried and failed doing a full Windows defender virus scan )

The Lenovo comes with Lenovo Solution centre and using that to scan, it is telling me of issues with the HDD, namely
Targeted Read Test & SMART short self test have failed.

Some googling suggests that this might be terminal - anyone experienced it before, know any fixes etc?

Also if it is terminal, is it possible / worthwhile to replace a HDD on a Lenovo laptop (I think ideally I would want a SSD as they seem to be better?) and if so how easy is it to do? Laptop has:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.50 GHz
6GB RAM
HDD is I think 750GB

And pretty sure this came with Windows, and at some point has updated to Win 10 so how would I reinstall Windows as I have no disks / keys etc?

Finally, I can't remember when I actually got this laptop - is there an easy way to tell?

Any assistance would be appreciated
 Lenovo G580 Hard Drive Failing? - tyrednemotional
...if it's failed the tests you've described, then it is going to be fatal. It is only a matter of (short or long) time.

Depending on the make of drive, you might be able to do something with manufacturer's tools that may improve things long enough to get the data copied off, but it is dependent both on make and the nature of the issue (and it looks like you've done so anyway).

Replacing the drive in that particular laptop appears (from the user manual) to be a simple process, with easy access, and simple swap out. I've done similar with Lenovo laptops.

It does, however, seem to be an SATAII (3GB/s) connection, not the newer SATAIII (6GB/s), so, though replacing with an SSD will provide a boost in performance, it will still be operating at rather less than the potential of most SSDs.

You might consider a standard 2.5" 1TB hard drive at £35-45 as a cheap option, though a decent 1TB SSD would only be around £100 (and faster).

Windows 10 installation can be carried out via software downloaded free to an 8GB USB stick from Microsoft, all officially, and will/should activate with your original Win7 product key (as long as the update to Win10 was carried out officially, even if free). Are you sure the key isn't on a certificate on the bottom of the laptop?

If you haven't got the key, then there is one other potential way of getting activation. If your laptop will currently stay up long enough, you can associate its licence with a Microsoft Account (which you can create for free if you haven't already got one). That will allow you to reactivate Windows after you install on a new disk. (If you look in "Activation Setttings" in Windows, it should say that Windows is activated with a digital licence (and may say it is associated with your Microsoft Account - which is what you eventually want, and can enable if it isn't).

There are a few free utilities around that offer to determine your product key, though some are reasonably reviewed I would approach them with care.

I'd suggest cloning the disk rather than re-installing Windows if the current disk was OK, but, as you say you've managed to back up the files, as long as you can ensure the re-install will reactivate, then a clean install is probably a good idea.

Have a think through, and if you decide it is worth it, I'm sure I and others on here can give more detailed advice.
Thanks for this help and kind offer of future assistance.
As things stand the current HDD is still working though has the above intermittent faults.
I am currently attempting to do a windows recovery drive to an USB drive which I believe would then allow me to do a fresh install with a new SSD?
I have looked around to try and get a specific product that is guaranteed to fit mine and this one from Crucial seems to fit the Bill
Crucial MX500 1 TB CT1000MX500SSD1-Up to 560 MB/s (3D NAND, SATA, 2.5 Inch, Internal SSD), Black www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078211KBB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_JQ7SD7JD3WNF1J3G676K?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And it has a lot of accompanying information with it which seems to suggest that if possible, best to buy the appropriate SATA cable and plug in as an external drive to start with and clone my existing drive over to it? Which sounds simple in theory though obviously dependent on my HDD surviving! I am thinking of buying this and a cable and using that as my first attempt, would appreciate your thoughts on whether this was sensible?

The windows key, there is a windows certificate sticker on bottom of laptop but all information on it has long been smudged/faded away.
 Lenovo G580 Hard Drive Failing? - No FM2R
Belarc Advisor is quick, easy and free and will give you all your licence numbers/keys should you need them, including Windows.
OK Update:
Overnight I managed to do the windows recovery drive to a USB (only about 6GB I think - does that sound right?)

I checked in Activation Settings and the windows account is already linked to my microsoft account with a digital licence.

I also installed the Belarc which has given me a ton of information and emailed me the link which is a fab resource to have. Interestingly it scan says my HDD is not SMART, whereas the Lenovo system scan that originally told me there were errors said that the SMART was failing (or something similar). Of course included in the Belarc report if my digital keys.

However I am thinking if I attempt the cloning first then all this info might not be needed but it will be needed if it doesnt work and I need to go for a clean install? In many ways I would prefer a clean install as I am sure over the years it will have accumulated a load of rubbish that I no longer need. In this respect can I clone the new disk (just to be on the safe side) and then once I have swapped them over is there a way to then "go back to factory settings" or words to that effect?

Finally, above you mention that my laptop seems to be a SATA11 connection, but the above Crucial SSD as recommended through the Crucial website for my model, seems to be the 6GB transfer? Is this wrong or is this an "up to" figure?
Bobby,

my long post crossed with yours (and appears below, rather than above, given where I replied :-( ). There may be some repeat below to answer your questions.

The fact that you are already linked to your Microsoft account (as long as you know which one, and the password ;-) ) makes a clean install somewhat easier/safer.

Can't comment on the SMART question, since it depends on specific disk and motherboard combination, but if I had to place a bet, probability says it is. If you can determine the disk type (the model number should be available in "Device Manager", then it might be possible to point you at some manufacturer diagnostics - though I think a download of "Seatools for Windows", which is Seagate's diagnostic tool, would give enough info, even on another manufacturer's disk. (And HWINFO64 lists SMART characteristics for drives, and should show up any problems).

As per my previous, cloning should avoid all the issues of determining product keys and other information.

See the difference documented on my previous between cloning and re-install (viz what you lose on re-install). You won't effectively be able to go back to a clean install and keep all your applications.

If you do end up doing a clean install, I'd recommend you do it from the Microsoft download I've linked to above, not your current recovery key. (As the full downloaded install needs an 8GB USB stick, 6 GB is probably the correct size for an install of some unknown vintage, though).

The hits I can find on that machine indicate that it is SATAII. I haven't done deep research, but a couple of hits definitely went that way, and at around 8 years old, it wouldn't surprise me. Almost all SATAIII disks will be backwards compatible, but the transfer rate will be at the lower level (the effects of which won't be very noticeable on a spinning disk, but will likely cause an SSD not to work to maximum potential).

Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Tue 2 Mar 21 at 09:17
Bobby,

cloning, if it works, will be your best option, since it avoids both the issue of the product key, and any re-installation of programs/applications over and above the clean OS install. The programs/applications can be problematic on an old m/c if you haven't kept the installation media and/or keys, or the applications were pre-installed. It can also have some issues where the upgrade process, because it was from a previous version of Windows, maintained some capabilities (ability to play DVDs natively is an example) which weren't delivered in Win10, and would be lost with a clean install.

If you're up for taking some risk (1. that it fails to complete the clone; 2. that the clone carries over some corruptions that have further knock-ons) then you've actually got little to lose by attempting it but time (since ultimately you can attempt a fresh install).

Rather than simply buying a cable, external USB enclosures for 2.5" drives are cheap enough, and neat. I have one of these, which is entirely adequate and very simple to use.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112597955225

Free versions of reputable software which will clone are readily available (but beware, I have found some restrictions on what and how the various (free) ones will clone, and have had to pick and choose depending on circumstances - I'll do a quick re-check on my latest used ones and update on perceived suitability).

That MX500 is an entirely adequate drive for what you're doing, it's the one I checked price for, but with an SATAII interface, you could go a bit cheaper if you want, compatibility won't be an issue (though with 600GB to go on it, I might want a bit more headroom - only you will know how fast data usage is likely to grow).

It will be quicker that an HDD, but I would at least ponder the value of putting in a decent HDD at £60 less - the remaining life of the laptop must be somewhat limited. (The cloning process is the same for both, though there is often an additional "alignment option" to be selected for an SSD)

The physical exchange of the disk once cloned should be simple; the process is described for your m/c in the user manual here:

www.mrmemory.co.uk/downloads/memory-configurations/114961.pdf

===

Whatever; even if you can get your product key using a tool, I'd position myself now for a potential furure clean install by associating the licence key with a/your Microsoft account before the disk possibly fails.

Check the "Activation Settings" on your machine. It should hopefully say "Windows is activated with a digital licence (linked to your Microsoft account)". If the bit in brackets is not there, there should also be an option to create such a link.

If you have a Microsoft account (a hotmail address, an account used to install Office, etc. you can simply link it - do ensure you know the password, though). If not, you can create one here:

account.microsoft.com/account

...and then link it. (And, a tip - Microsoft have started using the first 5 characters of the account id to name you "user" folder in Windows when installed using an account. It isn't straightforward avoiding such an install, and the folder name can't subsequently easily be changed, so care with the first 5 characters is advised).

Some people have reported automatic re-activation when a digital licence exists and a new install is made to a replacement disk (as the only hardware change), some have reported this didn't happen. (I suspect the m/c history and contents might cause variations). Having the original digital licence associated with a Microsoft account allows you to go through a "troubleshoot" process if the new install doesn't activate, and retrieve the licence via your account.

As far as the USB recovery drive is concerned, that will only present the Windows installation components, not data or post-installed applications. I'm also wary of just which point in the Windows install's life gets recovered that way. Given that, and the chance of existing potential disk corruption, I would strongly recommend that if you need to clean install you use Microsoft's media creation toll and create a bootable USB drive with an up-to-date Windows installation image. You won't need to go through this creation process until you need it (especially if you have access to another machine), as it is a download.

It is entirely legal (you get the installation files but no product key, which is why you need your existing key, or access to the digital licence).

The process starts here:

www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/home

(by selecting Win 10 and opting to create installation media) It's pretty straightforward, but if you get there further advice can be given.
 Lenovo G580 Hard Drive Failing? - Zero
My three penneth FWIW.

I wouldn't clone a clearly failing drive, you have already got a shedload of hidden issues, why copy them over.

Plus, if you are lashing out on a new drive, why copy over a slowed bloated system, and not get maximum benefit from your investment.

New drive - new install - best outcome - use the time you have now to prepare and back up your files - not the system.
>>
>> New drive - new install - best outcome - use the time you have now
>> to prepare and back up your files - not the system.
>>

....as from scratch, this has been my preferred option, providing Bobby thinks he can get his application landscape back to an acceptable position.

He seems to have the data backed up, and the licence position is good for a clean install.
....and, adding a little bit more confusion....

It appears that the m/c might in fact be SATAIII (despite the rather confusing specs from Lenovo).

I can find reference to the fact that, though the thing has SATAIII controller(s), it was delivered from the factory with SATAII drives. !!?

In practical terms, not much of an issue, since SATAIII drives are those available and backwards compatible, but if it is SATAIII capable, then an SSD will add a little more value.

(HWINFO64 will provide insight into which, if you know where to drill down to).
Thanks guys for responses, will take a closer look at this after work today.
 Lenovo G580 Hard Drive Failing? - smokie
I'd agree with Zero, I would do a new install (did it recently on my PC, pretty straightforward and half the size and now much faster.

I'd consider whether I really need a 1Tb drive - 500Gb would probably be ample - but it really depends what you are doing with it. SWMBO's laptop, used mainly just for browsing/email/Office, has (I think) a 250Gb with room to spare. But then she doe have access to a NAS for additional storage of required. If I had large collections of chunky stuff like music or video I'd be storing that externally anyway but then myu needs are different to yours.

if you do want to close, Macrium Reflect Free Edition does the job nicely.

T&E would the enclosure you linked possibly require an external power for an HDD? I use a cable like this tinyurl.com/y7z3vvl5 quite successfully.

If you do end up with a new drive, if it were me once the new one is all working fine I'd do a Windows error check/fix on the old one and then keep it as a (albeit potentially unreliable) backup disk.

A last thought - presumably it doesn't have a D: drive, which would be a partition on the C: drive and therefore will disappear when you replace the drive.

>>
>> T&E would the enclosure you linked possibly require an external power for an HDD? I
>> use a cable like this tinyurl.com/y7z3vvl5 quite successfully.
>>
..not usually required for a 2.5" HDD/SSD. USB power is generally adequate (and that's why 2.5" enclosures don't have additional power)

3.5" OTOH, generally do need additional power.
You can often get a double USB port to single enclosure plug cable to take the required power from the PC.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 3 Mar 21 at 03:12
>>
>> You can often get a double USB port to single enclosure plug cable to take
>> the required power from the PC.
>>
>>

...I have two - one came with an external DVD drive, which is really the only device I've ever had to use the second (power) connector for, and even then, only on older m/cs with low USB power output.

I also have the equivalent of Smokie's "Heath Robinson" SATA connector, though mine has an additional 230V/12V adapter and input, allowing it (thus powered) to work with 3.5" as well as 2.5" disks. (I just find, for the small amount extra, that a cheap enclosure provides a more positive fit - and somewhere to keep old 2.5" drives and use them as portable storage).

(I also have, hidden away somewhere, the same concept for PATA connections, but that hasn't been used for a while ;-) )

>> (I also have, hidden away somewhere, the same concept for PATA connections, but that hasn't
>> been used for a while ;-) )

I have them all, cables, adaptors, interfaces, all technologies (inc SCSI) and formats, some have NEVER been used, but you never know when.................
I went through my boxes of bits late last year and finally threw away some of those old printer cables, some IDE cables (not all mind!), some really old Ethernet cables, old pre-PCI boards where I had no idea what they were for, and some where I did. I reduced the number of boxes - they are big ones - by one from four.

There must be plenty more to go...

My Heath Robinson cables a re really quite handy as I have a few old HDDs with different backups and stuff stored on and I wouldn't want to run to the cost of an enclosure for each of them! If others were using them I might...
I was going to check my parallel printer cable away then I realised I had an IBM 4070 inkjet in the loft.......
>>
>> My Heath Robinson cables a re really quite handy as I have a few old
>> HDDs with different backups and stuff stored on and I wouldn't want to run to
>> the cost of an enclosure for each of them! If others were using them I
>> might...
>>

...I've cloned images of the three main machines here, sitting in anti-static bags in a cardboard box at the bottom of a drawer. All on old/redundant SATAII 3.5" drives, and all taken using my similar cable....

That 2.5" caddy now has an old, but largely unworn (97% life left) SSD sitting it it just in case I need a quick and robust transfer drive.
... and you've prompted me to check my drawer where I found two 3.5" caddies with old laptop disks which I made as backup disks for the daughters to use with their laptops. They since got larger USB drives.

And I also found the old 5.25 drives I took from a redundant TiVo. Had to fiddle with them to allow Windows to write to them but they have no data on them. For once I have more capacity than requirement. Maybe another backup of my weekly backups is an idea LOL.

Talking of which, I am ever grateful for my backups. The other week when messing with SD cards for a Raspberry Pi project I accidentally & carelessly formatted my 8Tb USB drive instead, which in addition to holding quite an amount of live data also has backup's of backups - machines backup to my NAS every week then are backed up to the 8Tb. Luckily the live data was backed up to the NAS (then back to the 8Tb!) so I was able to restore everything - took ages though...

Machine images (apart from my PC) are only updated each time there is a major-ish Windows update, and are stored in two places. Mine is imaged every week. Takes 7 minutes now, including a verify. My C drive only has 54 Gb on it, which reduces to just 21Gb in the image file.

>> For once I have more capacity than requirement. Maybe another backup of
>> my weekly backups is an idea LOL.
>>

...one really can't have too many backups.

The two prime machines here (mine and SWMBO's) are effectively backed up nightly. A scheduled full back-up to the NAS on Sundays, followed by a scheduled incremental on every other day means that very little data is at risk (and all without intervention).

Given SWMBO's laptop disk failed fatally with years of work on it, and I was able to recover all but about the last hour's worth made the NAS worth its purchase many times over.

I also take offline backups of the NAS backups (and the odd extra copy of those as well).

Paranoid, moi?
Pretty similar here, my daughter takes care of a 3Tb USB which has the important stuff on - it isn't refreshed that often but enough that any loss would be negligible (mainly photos).

I have the weekly backup to NAS backed up back onto my PC, then a monthly backup of everything to 6Tb ( I used to have two disks for alternate months till a disk broke!!) and then some "important" stuff onto old drives when I remember - that's photos, Outlook files, all my Raspberry Pi stuff incl images of the various machines I've built and backups of the images of Windows PCs. One Pi backs itself up daily to the NAS the others I do occasionally - no data is kept on the Pis, all is written to NAS.

Small amounts of stuff I may require on the move are backed up onto the Google drive too - images of passports, driving licences, travel docs etc etc.

As part of my recent fault finding I added another 500Gb SSD to the PC (now nearly 2Tb storage of SSD in my PC but well over half empty) plus the 8Tb USB. Two NASs, the older 6Tb one has backups of backups and the newer 6Tb one has the shared directories and more backups.

It's not often I get to air my disk nerdiness. Don't worry, I know it's a problem :-)

PS I did put the Raspberry onto SSD the other week just to prove I could but it increased it's footprint too much. I keep looking at Docker on SSD to consolidate Pis but I have no need to really.
Being a Lenovo, there will be a hidden recovery partition which you will lose by doing a new drive new OS install, but its no loss going forward, just means you need to change the way you recover the system going forward.

I would clone the new drive/os onto other media as soon as you have it set up right as recovery going forward.
Ok unfortunately I never got chance to get to laptop tonight but have read all the comments. My new SSD linked further up is arriving tomorrow together with one of the plug in cases.

As previously mentioned, I have
1. a backup of all my files/ photos etc etc.
2. I have a USB with the windows recovery on it.
3. I have the report emailed to me that has all my data, licence keys etc.

Tomorrow I will try and create the bootable usb using the Microsoft link given further back..

On this basis, taking all of the above into account, I think the general consensus seems to be to go for a clean install? So on this basis, what should I expect once I have switched the disks over and first press the power button?
(Hopefully you are going to tell me it will come up with a message saying press x and it will automatically install windows etc????

Stupid question, will it work off WiFi with a disc swap ? Or will that need set up again ?

As always, much appreciate the advice.

>>Stupid question, will it work off WiFi with a disc swap ? Or will that need set up again ?

A disk clone is just that, to all intents and purposes nothing will have changed, including network connections.

Ditto an image restore.

With a clean installation you are starting from scratch.
>> Stupid question, will it work off WiFi with a disc swap ? Or will that
>> need set up again ?

It will be like you just bought it home from the shop for the first time. Wont have your wifi, or your printer. You'll need to tell it.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 3 Mar 21 at 08:29
>>
>> It will be like you just bought it home from the shop for the first
>> time. Wont have your wifi, or your printer. You'll need to tell it.
>>

...I know what you're saying Z, but actually that could be misinterpreted.

If Windows is reinstalled using the current Microsoft download, you will end up with a bare Windows installation which will be missing any additional applications that were originally factory installed. Hence it will not look like it was from the shop.

For instance Lenovo factory-customise their machines and install quite a bit of their own utility software, and, I suspect for Bobby's machine, DVD playing software (as well as other stuff). That will not be re-installed, and some of it will not be available for reinstall (DVD, for instance - though there are free workarounds if that is an issue).

(I've imaged my own Lenovo laptop a couple of times, and don't miss most of the Lenovo bloatware at all, though I have acquired and re-installed their update software so that I can sporadically check for new drivers, etc.)
>>
>> Stupid question, will it work off WiFi with a disc swap ? Or will that
>> need set up again ?
>>

Reinforcing Mark's post:

A disk clone (which carries some risks if using a failing disk as the source, as already discussed) will use the disk caddy and some free cloning software to create an exact clone of your current HDD. You then switch disks and the machine should boot and look exactly like it did before (I think, depending on BIOS, there is a small possibility you might have to enter BIOS to make it boot by default from the new SSD - that will be easy).

If you are going to do a clean re-install of Windows (for which you will need the created USB key), then you can switch the disks before you do it (and I would do so, as it avoids the issue of inadvertently installing to the existing disk and overwriting it), but a clean install will only give you a new, bare Windows install (which again, at the end of the process should boot in a similar way). You will have no data, and any applications (at least those you still want/need) that are not part of base windows will also not be present and will need reinstalling (and obviously a means of installing, and any product keys required). Any customisation (e.g. Wifi settings) will also have been lost. The re-install is ultimately safer, and a refreshed Windows install may well be considerably more efficient, but it is more time consuming and fiddly.

The two things are separate processes, leading to different outcomes. You need to decide which route you are taking, and I can possibly provide a little more detail.

(And be aware that, if an initial attempt at cloning fails during the process, the only thing you will have lost is a small amount of the "life" of the SSD. You can subsequently switch to a clean install approach (if you are happy with your data backup). I think the main issue that might arise is cloning and propagating an issue to the SSD that doesn't immediately show up - leading to further issues down the line).
I'd just add that, so long as you don't overwrite it, your old disk will still be viable after cloning, so you could roll back to it if you came across a critical problem (e.g. missing app) which you can't immediately fix, or plug it in using the USB gubbins to retrieve anything you've missed in your backups.
Cheers once again.

I am now inclinesd to attempt the cloning route first based on what you are saying and my limited knowledge of computers eg how to get a DVD disk driver to suit my laptop etc etc

Up until this issue my laptop was working fine, albeit slightly slow but in investigating this issue I discovered my hard drive was becoming full (I didn't realise that each full iphone backup on itunes didnt overwrite the previous one) and I also had various folders on my desktop which were big which resulted in long start ups.

On a separate note, someone mentioned partitions before, I now have

C: 269GB free of 653GB
D: 22.1GB free of 25.4GB (Drivers using 2.16GB)

(Not sure if this is relevant)
That raises a few more questions!

There's a difference between partitions and logical (to Windows) drives. You will have more partitions than that, but only two of them will be visible to Windows as the C: and D: drives. (There is likely to be at least two other partitions - a recovery and a boot partition, which are "invisible" at Windows level unless you go into the Disk Management console (and there's no reason why one should under normal circumstances)).

If you do a simple clone, then it would take care of all that for you anyway.

But:

i) implicitly, it looks (from your driver comment) that you may have a C: "data" disk, and a D: "system" disk, with Windows on the latter. If so, then (IMO) the D: logical disk is too small. I've had to re-allocate space between partitions for a friend's laptop where the system "disk" was too small, and eventually Windows Update stopped working because it ran out of usable space (though the data portion on a different logical drive had oodles of space). That reallocation is simple if you know what you're doing, but not available within Windows itself.

Is your Windows installation on D: ?

ii) It looks rather as if you have a 750GB disk at the moment (the remainder of the space being accounted for by the "invisible" partitions. This means that, if you have bought a 1TB SSD, you would be best expanding the partitions at clone time, rather than just doing simple cloning which would leave a big chunk of unallocated (and unusable without further intervention) space. The correct choice of free cloning software will allow for this in the cloning process and at the same time allow you to add specified space to the D: drive, if it is indeed the Windows drive. (the cloned drive will still boot up as per the old one, despite re-distribution of space).

So, an answer required, and then, if cloning is the desired first pass, a few pointers to the software and method will be forthcoming. Don't get disheartened, there's nothing there (yet) that isn't relatively simple to do, it just requires the right focus.

BTW, the Win10 DVD issue you might/would see after a clean install is not a driver issue. The drive will still function, and data reading will not be an issue. Prior to Win10, Microsoft distributed a CoDeC with Windows that supported the playing of DVD "movies". They didn't licence that for Win10, and it is not now distributed. (though, in recognition of the history, if you upgraded from a previous version of Windows, they carried it over to the upgraded Win10. I suspect you may be in that position at the moment, and a clean install will remove it. There are workarounds, (Installing VLC player is probably the easiest) but it won't work "out of the box").

I will try and get you this information but answering on my phone as the laptop is suddenly going very slow.....
It's the question of Windows being on D: or not which will set the way ahead.

I'd want to expand that current space by more than that which a simple clone would do if that's the case.

Looking at Macrium again, I think it will do all that is required in one cloning process (and it looks a bit more understandable than Acronis), but the parameters will need a bit of tweaking depending on the answer.

(Of course, if it continues to be slow, then you might be going for the re-install instead ;-) )
I have a Windows folder within C Drive of 2.21 GB?
That looks rather too small for Windows, Bobby, mine's 20+GB.

But, I misread your original, and took it as 22.1GB of 25.4GB used on the D; not 22.1GB free.

Whilst I'm not sure what is on that D drive, it doesn't look like Windows system. Sorry about the confusion. (though I'd like to know what's on there ;-) )

What it does mean is that it should be relatively easy to run a clone with Macrium using the defaults for a simple clone - it might put c7GB of extra space on the D: drive which you might not use, and a little bit on the invisible partitions, but most of the remainder of the additional 250GB should end up by default on the C: drive. (the small loss is probably worth it for simplicity).

I'm off out now. The instructions for cloning should be relatively simple - I'll do a quick write-up in a couple of hours (unless someone gets there before me ;-) )
The Crucial drive I am buying suggests using the following link for cloning.
www.acronis.com/en-us/promotion/CrucialHD-download/
Not sure if it’s any better/worse than you are recommending , just that if this is suitable it will say you having to explain in detail?
I will try and find what’s in the D but laptop ain’t responding!
For me, and I know less than TnE, I would first clone the disk. Then you have all the time in the world to investigate exactly what is on there, what you need to save and where it is.

If that amounts to nothing you care about or haven't saved, then you can decide to do a clean install and get a nice cleaned up disk.

Or you might decide, it works so wtf and leave it like it is.

Disk cloning software well not damage the existing disk data so it is low risk and nothing will be lost. I can see no downside.

The only risk is that the existing disk might fail before you're ready so I'd get on it pretty soon, whichever way you go.

So for me;

1) Clone
2) Check you have everything copied to a USB stick that you need to save
3) Decide whether or not to subsequently do a clean install.

It is possible to do a clean install on the new disk and then use the old disk as a secondary/slave disk to investigage it, but I feel that is simply more complicated.
>>1) Clone
2) Check you have everything copied to a USB stick that you need to save
3) Decide whether or not to subsequently do a clean install.

This sounds probably the best route for me with my limited knowledge. I can hopefully follow clone instructions step by step, but I struggle to find the answer to something that subsequently goes wrong if I try the clean install!

Just a thought, if I swapped them over and went for the clean install and then came up against too many probems, could I switch them back and attempt the clone?
>>Just a thought, if I swapped them over and went for the clean install and then came up against too many probems, could I switch them back and attempt the clone?

Yes. As long as you do not change the original disk then you can take either path as often as you like, undo it and redo it again.

Your only challenge is that the original hard drive may fail at some point.
>>
>> So for me;
>>
>> 1) Clone
>> 2) Check you have everything copied to a USB stick that you need to save
>> 3) Decide whether or not to subsequently do a clean install.
>>

I think I agree.

If I were me (oh, I am...) I'd probably do a clean install, because I'm reasonably confident in overcoming driver etc. problems (though I think there will be few, if any), but I would certainly want to assess how easy it will be to obtain install files and product keys for all the non-OS applications I still need, and will wish to re-install.

The re-installation of Windows is relatively easy and quick; the subsequent rebuild back to something that resembles the original start position might not be so.

A clean install (especially from the MS download), is likely to run rather better than a years old upgrade.

If I were Bobby, however, with somewhat less knowledge and confidence, I think I'd probably try the clone first, since if successful that should provide him with a laptop that is much like the one he already knows and loves, without any further work, and still leaves the option of a clean install (anytime down the line) if it doesn't work, or there are subsequent issues.

If it works, the whole process will be quicker.

My feeling is that the clone might fail (and since Macrium will, if asked, do an integrity check in the process of doing the clone, it probably will if there are problems getting some sectors to read). Given that integrity check, however, it is less likely that there will be major issues down the line if the clone appears to have worked.

If the clone does fail, then nothing has been lost but a bit of time, and a small (insignificant enough) amount of the SSD's life. The next step would be a clean install to the SSD.

====

I still think I would like further confirmation (other than Lenovo tool feedback) of the fact that the disk is having (hardware) problems, rather than there being some other issue, since if it isn't then cloning is not necessarily the correct step.

Bobby, there are various ways of carrying out such a check, but to make it fairly simple, I would suggest you download and install "Seatools for Windows" from the bottom link on this page here:

www.seagate.com/gb/en/support/downloads/seatools/

Whilst it is designed for use with Seagate disks, (and will do rather more with these) it will do basic tests on any make, and is simple to use and understand.

If, once installed, you fire it up, it should search for, and find, your one installed physical disk. If you tick the selection box next to it, go up to the "Basic Tests", click that and then select "Short Drive Self Test" it will run the DST that your Lenovo reporting is saying is failing. It will show progress, and should, of course, ultimately report a failure - if not, there might be a rethink (after running one of the more rigorous tests).

===

I think, for the way ahead, the existence and content of the D: drive is of no consequence, other than to confuse me why it has been set up like that. It will be largely irrelevant to either cloning (as it isn't the Windows install location) or to a clean install. Thanks for checking contents though, Bobby.

===

I know Crucial link to Acronis, I'd suggest Macrium (free) because I've used it, the instructions for a simple clone are very straightforward, and I know it will do a file system verify as part of the process (which is pretty relevant in your case). Your call though.

Let us know your preferred way forward.
Have downloaded the Seagate tool as described above.
Ran the test and it only gets to 10% before Drive Status column changes to
shortDST- FAIL

Does this backup what the Lenovo tool says?
Just going out a walk just now to clear my headache and will be back to laptop after dinner. Thanks again.
Yup. Thanks for that. That disk is on its way out. (and it was worthwhile checking as it confirms it is most likely a hardware fault causing issues)

You definitely need to do something!

(The DST is a self-test process built into the drive itself in firmware and which can be invoked by the appropriate applications; such failures generally mean that it is experiencing "bad sectors" making it difficult/impossible to read/write at locations, which might be for various different reason, but the prognosis is terminal, and there is no guarantee you haven't already lost data.)
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Wed 3 Mar 21 at 17:59
Bobby,

I've done a quick (not really, but it keeps me off the streets) crib-sheet for cloning using Macrium. The principle is the same with Acronis, but the details will vary somewhat.

I'd very much suggest you work through the Macrium/Acronis instructions yourself, but (if I've not missed anything) these may add confidence.

There are two Notes on here about Macrium - the first a question about initialisation, the second about the ability to resize any partition.

Research on the Macrium forum indicates that neither should be an issue if all is done properly, but I just have a few recollections/niggles in the back of my mind.

======

Download Macrium Reflect Free from

www.macrium.com/reflectfree

(the free download link is partway down on the left)

and install it on the laptop.

On the same page, the basic reference documentation for cloning can be hit quickly by clicking on the blue bit of "Direct disk cloning" in the feature table.

Drop the SSD into the Caddy, Make sure it's well pushed forward and located on the connections, and connect it by USB.

Then invoke Macrium Reflect, and follow steps 1 to 3 in the documentation.

The disk you want to clone, and the one to clone to, should be obvious.

====

Note

(I think Macrium will see the USB disk and show it as empty, even though it hasn't been initialised - if it can't see it, it will need to be initialised, which is possible under Windows, and I can advise).

====

You want to copy all partitions, so if the input drive is ticked (box), you can click the "copy selected partitions" which should add all of them to the output disk. You also want to change the size of the C: partition to use up the extra space on your new SSD, so in the output drive select the C: partition, and then via the "cloned partition properties" set the size to maximum, using the "maximum size" button and "OK" - this should up the size by around 250GB, using up all the remaining extra space on the SSD for a larger C: drive, but still having all the other partitions on the output at their original sizes.

===

Note:

I just have a niggly feeling that when I last did this, the resize wouldn't work unless the partition being increased was currently the last dragged to the output drive (though I find it hard to believe). If that's the case, you will have to go back a step, drag and drop individually from the left until the C: partition is the rightmost, do a calculation of the size of any remaining undragged partitions, resize C: to a specific value calculated to leave enough unallocated space at the end to drag the remaining other(s) into (and leave a small margin), and then drag and drop the remainder at existing size.

===

The only partition you want to resize is that nominated for the C: drive.

Carefully check the output disk to see that the partitions are all being cloned, they're all the same size as input, except the C: drive partition (which should be around 250GB bigger),and the output has little or no unallocated space left. That should confirm you've set the content correctly (it is fairly easy to revert some of the work if you hit the wrong button, so a careful check is in order).

This should have you at step 7, where you can check/set the advanced options.

You should enable "Intelligent Sector.." "Verify File System.." and "Enable SSD Trim.." settings. (I don't think the "rapid Delta" setting matters either way in this case).

Click next past all the "Schedule" settings (you don't need them)

At step 10, you can run it, and you don't need to save the XML.

Keep your fingers crossed, and let's hope it doesn't fail file system verification (if it does, I'd run CHKDSK under Windows immediately before trying again. CHKDSK is run via File Explorer/This PC/Right click on disk C:/properties/tools/error checking - and repeat for Disk D: It will check the file system (as did Macrium, but it will also attempt to repair errors if it can)).

(The video at the end of the instruction document is quite good. Just be aware that (at least at first attempt) your target disk will have no partitions on it (the video shows deleting existing partitions on an old drive), and you don't need to do any of the scheduling stuff (just click next past it))

If all completes correctly, you then physically switch the drives, carefully following the instructions in the Lenovo manual already linked above, and then start the laptop.

It will probably boot OK, but if it can't find a bootable disk, then the BIOS settings will need to be changed to define the (new) boot disk.

I think BIOS entry is by repeatedly (every second) hitting F2 (maybe Fn + F2 on your keyboard) during startup until the BIOS menu screen appears. If you don't want to play with BIOS settings immediately, a similar process with F12 (or Fn + F12) should give a boot device menu, were you can select your SSD to boot from. (and if successful, you can subsequently permanently amend the BIOS setting(s) via the F2 route).

Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Wed 3 Mar 21 at 19:29
No disrespect TnE, but those instructions intimidated the F. out of me and I've done it before!

Perhaps simplifying the excellent information into something a little more bullet-pointy and less wordy might help?
You know the old saying, "if I'd had more time it would have been shorter".......

...over to you......you're even further from Scotland.....

;-)
Bobby, if it would help you to have those instructions simplified then I am happy to get to it later, but it will be quite later today I'm afraid.
Ok need to be my best diplomatic self.
I hugely appreciate the effort TnE is going to to assist me but I read those instructions twice (albeit on my phone) and thought, Gulp!

But I am not sure it can be explained any simpler, he has done it step by step and tried to keep it absolutely basic including telling me where on the screen I have to look for things. The test needs to be down to me!

However the missus is insisting we are going to watch another couple of The Crown episodes tonight so I reckon the laptop might need to wait till tomorrow. I work from home so I could possibly do it whilst working especially if it’s a case of hitting a button and then waiting a frw hours for things to transfer!
As it happens I have a spare new disk.

I'll do the clone process myself, take step by step notes, and post it tonight.
I don't feel sensitive, Bobby.

If Mark can do a shorter/clearer summary, and it helps you, then fine. The main issue to address is getting you (by one means or another) back to a usable laptop with least loss of functionality/data.

The basic asis cloning process is easy(ier) to do and describe, but if you want to get the additional space in use, you're going to have to resize a partition as well. That is a bit messy under most circumstances, could be done at a later date (but still messy) so, if it can be done at clone time (albeit it complicates the instructions) then so be it.

The main remaining issue will be if Mark's summary contradicts mine! ;-)
The D Drive has two folders

Applications - Adobe, McAfee, Veriface, YouCam
Drivers - various folders in here like VGA, BT, Camera, Touchpad etc etc
So stick the 2+Gb of drivers on a USB stick if you have one, then doesn't need worrying about. Or on your Google cloud, or dropbox, or OneDrive or wherever. Sounds like they may be of some use later.

Follow T&E instruction, not mine, so the following is to him not you :-)

Verify the image after completing it. Either it verifies clean in which case the disk probably isn't crumbling before his eyes or it doesn't very clean in which case it it!

And - I don't recall how Macrium coped with a larger target disk than source. I had a feeling I had to use Diskmgmt to extend the partition but you can maybe get Macrium to do it for you.

And - if I were Bobby I'd do away with the D drive but be cautious to know where I was saving stuff, which may not be the case at the moment!
>> Follow T&E instruction, not mine, so the following is to him not you :-)
>>

My shoulders are broad (and I'm a long way from Scotland ;-) ).

>>
>>
>> And - I don't recall how Macrium coped with a larger target disk than source.
>> I had a feeling I had to use Diskmgmt to extend the partition but you
>> can maybe get Macrium to do it for you.

AFAIR, Macrium will allow you to resize any/all partition when you clone it (though I might have had a few wobblies with getting it defined - you know before you start the clone process off, though.

Acronis will by default proportionally resize the partitions when going to a larger disk (which is easy, but not necessarily what you want).

Either would do for Bobby, but if the resizing in Macrium is easy - I think I may have had to be (only mildly)imaginative - then the file system check, and the ability to specify SSD specific output, would cause me to prefer it.

Frankly, resizing in Diskmgmt in Windows after the event is a real pain, as it won't do any upsizing without free space to the right of a partition (and that usually only exists for the last partition), even if the disk has unallocated space.

If the D: partition is the final one, then it would be relatively easy after the event to use Diskmgmt to remove it (once emptied) and expand C: into the resulting space (if C: has then ended up as the last partition, with the space to the right).

(the free tool I use for things like this is Aomei Partition Assistant, which is somewhat more flexible in what it can achieve).
>>
>> And - if I were Bobby I'd do away with the D drive but be
>> cautious to know where I was saving stuff, which may not be the case at
>> the moment!
>>

So would I, but one step at a time, please. ;-)
Of course, I did an image/restore rather than a clone with Macrium. It probably operates differently. Ignore me :-)
Bobby, I just did this and wrote down everything I did. It's all in the next post.

TnE explained and educated, I am simply writing down which buttons to press. If you don't understand something in mine, the explanation is probably in TnE's. But please, any doubts just ask.

This is nto a process that times out. So you can simply just wait, post and find out what you need to know before proceeding.

As I said, I actually did this just now so these are the steps I faced. I'd probably wait until TnE confirms that it looks alright to him and then go for it...

Do remember, if you entirely screw it up beyond all recognition you have lost nothing. You can do it again, or you can go the clean install route. There is nothing to lose here. As I said, my only concern is that the old disk goes to s*** before you're ready, which is why I would do the clone approach first.

If something unexpected happens, do nothing, just post here from your phone.

If your system fails to reboot when all is done, do nothing just post here.

I'm around all day tomorrow, and if it is very urgent then email me, I'll get right back to you.
System running on 'old' disk, new SSD attached by USB

Go to www.macrium.com/reflectfree & download software

Step by step details, ignore if it is obvious.

Scroll to "Download Macrium Reflect 7 Free Edition"
Click on "Home Use"
Enter your email address or don't. I didn't.
Click on "Save File"

Install software

Step by step details, ignore if it is obvious.

Double click download file to launch
Window appears, don't even read, just click on "Download"
When system requests authorisation, click on "yes".
Window appears, click on "next"
Next window appears, click on "next"
Accept the terms, click on "next".
Select "home", click on next
Click on register if you want, not if not. I didn't.
Accept defaults, click on "next"
Click on "Install"
Click on "finish" and it'll start the application.

Start app if it didn't start already, and.........

Yer actual disk cloning...

- A screen appears with your disks and partitions
- Click on the check box on the left of the disk you wish to clone.
- Underneath will appear the words "Clone this disk", click on them.
- A new window will appear seeking a destination to clone to (check also that on the source disk all partitions are checked)
- Click on "Select a disk to clone to"
- Select your SSD
- For the C Drive only, click on the partition, click on "Cloned partition properties", click on "Maximum", click on "ok"
- Click on "Advanced options" and make sure that the "Perform an Intelligent Sector copy", "Verify File system" and "Enable SSD Trim" are all checked.
- Click on OK
- Click on "Next"
- A schedule window pops up, ignore it, click on "next"
- A summary / confirmation window pops up, click on "Finish"

Find something else to do for ages and ages...........

Shut everything down, switch disks so the SSD is now in the PC, start up....

The full on Macrium instruction details if you feel teh need...

knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Cloning+a+disk
>>I'd probably wait until TnE confirms that it looks alright to him and then go for it...
>>

...looks OK to me, and you've had the benefit of actually doing it, rather than working from memory and the documentation.

I'd add one thing that occurred to me, and might be obvious but will make a big difference to the elapsed time:

If you (Bobby) bought the caddy I referenced (or another USB3 capable one) make sure you use a blue (USB3) port on the laptop - the data transfer is an order of magnitude greater than if you use a black (USB2) - and there will be a lot of data transfer.
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Thu 4 Mar 21 at 08:34
TnE, our posts just crossed and yes, the empty USB port that I’m not using for this D Copy is coloured blue! Will use that for the clone !
Ok, got as far as “yer actual disk cloning”

Put SSD into its case, plugged into laptop, laptop made it’s too too too noise as it always does when something new plugged in. The blue light on the case came on.
But the SSD is not appearing on the file directory.

Have tried unplugging/ uncasing etc and redoing but no luck. Tried different USB ports.

I’ll try rebooting it and see if that helps find it.

Back shortly
Bobby,

That's normal - Windows (File Explorer or anything else at "user" level) won't find it, because it hasn't been initialised.

Leave it plugged in, and continue and run Macrium. It works at a lower level, and Macrium should be able to see it (I referred to this somewhere above).

If Macrium won't see it, then that is relatively easily fixable using Disk Management.

(If Macrium does see it, it will get initialised as part of the clone process).

Cheers for this help.
Just switched laptop on and I thought I would start by backing up the contents of the D Drive that was mentioned further up.
Only 2 GB or so but going veeeerrryyyy slow which doesn’t fill me with hope to clone a 300 GB disc!

But will keep you posted as I go.

Thanks again.
Speed will depend on the method of backup, and, if USB, the rated speed of both the Port and the Backup Device (and also it's type).

Ignoring any other issues, cloning to the SSD via a USB3-USB3 connection should be reasonably quick, though it is still going to take some time for 300+GB.
Ok, it’s now got the SSD
I am stuck at this next step. My screen shows my C drive as source and has 4 windows/ tiles all ticked. (Are these all partitions?)
Destination is showing my external drive
The only place I see “cloned partition properties” is under the destination disk and that is greyed out?

- For the C Drive only, click on the partition, click on "Cloned partition properties", click on "Maximum", click on "ok"
- Click on "Advanced options" and make sure that the "Perform an Intelligent Sector copy", "Verify File system" and "Enable SSD Trim" are all checked.
- Click on OK
- Click on "Next"

Yeah,

I think there's a step missing right at the point you're at.

You need to select the partitions to be cloned. They will then appear in the destination SSD, and the greyed out command should be enabled.

From where you are, you probably only need to click "Next" again.

===

It only needs you to hit "Next" if all the input partitions (tiles) are ticked, and the "copy selected partitions when I hit next" is ticked - which I think will be the case.

===

Once the destination looks exactly like the source (but with unallocated space at the end) You're good to go with the partition properties step as in the write-up.

If it doesn't end up like that, then go back and try again (and there is the drag and drop method as well)

TnE

The message at top of box says “ Drag partitions to the destination disk or click “copy selected paritions”

So all 4 boxes are ticked so assume at this point I click “copy selected partitions” before I go onto the steps you mentioned?
I'm working from the manual - but you can either drag and drop starting from the left (all four) so they end up in the same order, or (preferably I think), make sure the "copy selected partitions when I click next" box (bottom right) is checked, (I think it is by default) and hit "next".

You want all four "tiles" in the same order in the destination drive after one or other of the above.

It's then back to the script to resize the C: partition - the option should now not be greyed out (and onwards from there).

I'm off out for my daily exercise - I'll try to keep checking in. If you struggle, just pause, and I'll eventually get back.

It's slow progress so fat, I know, but it is all progress, and in the right direction.
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Thu 4 Mar 21 at 10:13
OK I just followed my step bove and now have on my screen the two discs basically mirrored but as TnE says, a blank tile at the end of the destination disk.
So, it's resize the C: partition to maximum, and on you go.

(I think it flags logical drive partitions with the drive letter - if it doesn't, then it will be, by some way, the current biggest).
So back to the following stepsThe first step - click on partition - how do I do this?
The source local disk has a highlighted box round the whole lot, it doesnt allow me to tick the little box, and when I click on Cloned Partition Properties it is only giving me the properties of the first partition. I cant see a way of highlighting each individual partition?

For the C Drive only, click on the partition, click on "Cloned partition properties", click on "Maximum", click on "ok"
- Click on OK
- Click on "Next"
So just to clarify on my post of 10:16, when I click on the Cloned Partition Properties, it is only offering me the first partition (which is only 200MB) and I can select Maximum Size of 200MB and press Ok.

But how do I then do this for subsequent partitions (which I am guessing is what I have to do)
I'm walking Bobby, so quick guess.

You probably need to select a partition for adjustment by clicking on it, and the first is selected by default.

Click on the C: one and see if you can adjust it then. (It's the only one you need to do)
Cheers but its not actually allowing me to click on each one individually - I know htis is going tobe the most basic of things but its got me flummoxed!

Enjoy your walk, no rush with this - I will get on with my real work!
Ah - hold on - I was able to select each partition by selecting it on the Destination disk which I have now done, pressed Maximum for each one and now I have the 4 destination partitions as it has obviously "absorbed" the free space into these.

The instructions said to do this to the C disk so I won't go any further until someone confirms this is ok.

I now have Source and Disk, both 4 partitions each, first 3 identical and then the 4th on the destination disk is bigger because (presumably) its a bigger capacity.

If relevant, partitions are
43.5MB of 200MB
386.12GB of 653.44GB
3.32GB of 25.47GB
11.29GB of 252.41GB
Not correct Bobby.

You only want to change the C: partition. The others definitely need to be left well alone!

Use the "back" keys to the point where there is nothing in the destination drive, then get all the partitions back into it unresized

Do the "max" resize only on the C: partition, don't touch the others.

Even with what you've done so far, the figures you've posted look a bit odd so once you've tried again with only changing C: post the sizes again and I'll sense check them. (I've seen reports of similar occurrences when multiple parameters are changed, so it's not entirely surprising)
. ..and, if you want to do an early sense check yourself, you want to be in a position where all the destination partitions are exactly the same as their input equivalent, except for C: which should be bigger by the difference in disk size (c250GB). There also should be little or no unallocated space at the RH end.
It will be fixable, I'll do some checking in a couple of hours and get back.
Why not try Anydesk or TeamViewer TnE?
Doesn't work when I'm in the forest. :-)

(He's nearly there - all the right notes, not necessarily in the correct order).
TnE, I cant get that to work - back to where I was before.

When I only have the Source Disk showing with the partitions, I am unable to click on the Cloned Partition Properties as it is greyed out?

The source disk has the partitions as mentioned above

43.5MB / 200MB
386.13GB/653.44GB
3.32GB/25.47GB
11.29GB / 19.53GB
Screen currently at
www.dropbox.com/s/hpasd9cvnyxq91k/Clone%20screen.jpg?dl=0
You now need to do the "copy selected partitions", "next" bit again, which will put all partitions in the output, and ungrey the option .

Then in the output click the C: partition, resize it to maximum, leave everything else alone and post the output partition sizes.
Looking at that screen, I believe you need to select the disk to clone to before things light up
He's one step further back than I thought.
The input disk is selected, he needs to select a disk to clone to (the sad) and then do what I've just posted above
So "copy selected partitions" stays greyed out until I select a disk to clone to.
Once I select the SSD, the "copy selected partitions" is clickable.

As soon as I click that, I get the screen as mentioned before with Source having the 4 partitions showing and the Destination having the 5?

Enjoy your walk - I can wait!

This is where I am at just now
www.dropbox.com/s/m4db7btxd0myus2/Cloned%202.jpg?dl=0
That's it. (Though I think no 5 on the output is free space, not a partition.)

Click on the (output) C: partition and resize it to maximum, don't touch anything else and post the resulting output partition sizes.

Nearly there, I hope
Sorry , dont understand
"Click on the (output) C: partition and resize it to maximum,"

Do you mean click on the 2nd partition of the SSD that currently shows 386.13/653.44?
And following up mine of 12:26, when I do click on that partition, the maximum it is allowing is the 653.44?
...yes, it is the 2nd partition (I'm at home now, and have the picture - I didn't realise it didn't carry the drive letter through to the output)

The restriction on maximum was something I rather feared. I had vague recollections of not being able to increase size except where there is free space to the right (much a la Windows), but was relying on Mark having done it to remove my doubts.

I think there may be a relatively easy workaround, but I'm also thinking of the simplest way to try it

Can you just check one thing for me? If you select partition 4 on the SSD and drag it upwards, does it "remove" it from the SSD?.
>> If you select partition 4 on the SSD

do you mean the partition with 11.29/19.53 GB?

Re my message of 10:46, when I had previously got this far it had seemed to add the "free space" to this last partition increasing it from 19.53 to 252.41GB?
Yes, that partition. (we want to remove it from the output - if the drag out doesn't work, I might ask you to check whether there's a right click/delete - but that's going to need a careful hand to ensure it's the right disk.

Re: your other message, - you (wrongly) resized all the partitions. The end result is consistent with "max" having done nothing but resize the last one (which is also consistent with the current issue).

If we can drag out the partition, I think it is but a few clicks from being sorted.
OK it doesnt allow me to drag it anywhere
I'm happy for mods (Smokie?) to pass you my email address if that saves the rest of the forum the boredom of our chat!!

Or maybe it helps with the website clicks?
Not even, after clicking and holding back onto it's equivalent on the original HDD?

Ah well, we'll have to go a bit backwards again - you've done most of what we're going to repeat twice, so you should be familiar.

You need to go "back" to the point where you've selected the disk to clone, and the SSD to clone to, and we'll do a slightly different approach from there.

Whilst you're getting there, I'll write it up - it's tedious doing this again, but no more difficult than you've already done .

Back in a mo.
If you and TnE are happy to keep it here it may as well get completed here rather than email then it can be referred to for the next time someone needs the process... and see the potential tricky bits.

So much is obvious to those of us tinkering with machines a lot so it's also a useful reminder to us to write in such a way that our audience can understand us.
What we're going to do now is make sure the partition we want to resize is the last on the disk at the time we need to resize it.

Having selected the source disk, and the SSD to clone to, at the point it is still empty, (hopefully you're now there) we're going to drag and drop the four partitions individually, but in two separate stages.

Drag Partition 1 to the SSD

Drag Partition 2 to the SSD (after Partition 1)

That leaves partition 2 as currently the last on the SSD.

With space to the right, it should now allow resizing BUT, we can't do it to maximum, because that will eat all the free space, and we want space to add 3 and 4 after it's been resized.

So, click on C:, and set the size manually to 885GB (that adds most, but not quite all, of the current 232.88GB free space in to C:).

Then, drag partition 3 into the free space remaining at the end of the SSD.

Then drag partition 4 into the free space after partition 3.

You should then have partitions 1,3 and 4, on the SSD exactly as they were on the input, and a bigger (partition 2) C: drive (and with a very small amount of unallocated at the end of the SSD).

We're then back to a picture or post of the partition sizes please.

(and, in case I forget, at this point ensure none of the partitions on the input drive are selected - possibly important for the next step)

>> So, click on C:, and set the size manually to 885GB (that adds most, but
>> not quite all, of the current 232.88GB free space in to C:).
>>
...for clarity, that should, of course, be partition 2 (currently the last) on the SSD.
>>Drag Partition 1 to the SSD

Drag Partition 2 to the SSD (after Partition 1)

That leaves partition 2 as currently the last on the SSD.

With space to the right, it should now allow resizing BUT, we can't do it to maximum, because that will eat all the free space, and we want space to add 3 and 4 after it's been resized.

Have done above.

>>So, click on C:, and set the size manually to 885GB (that adds most, but not quite all, of the current 232.88GB free space in to C:).

What do you mean by clicking on C: ?
We crossed posts, done all that and now have
43.5/200.0 MB
386.79/885.00GB
3.32/25.47GB
11.29/19.53GB
and last one being 1.32GB free
That worked then......

Phew.

(What that has done has ensured that all the extra space from you bigger SSD will be allocated to your Windows C: drive, rather than being wasted - apart from the 1.32 GB which I needed for safe headroom).

I'm not sure which screen you're currently on, but if it's the one that I think, make sure that none of the partitions on the original disk are selected (ticked), and/or that the "copy selected partitions when I click next" near the bottom is unticked or greyed out.

You're then back on the remainder of the (Mark's) script (and from the screen you're on).

- Click on OK
- Click on "Next"

====

I'm concerned that the file system verification might fail (given the errors that you've had).

It may or may not give you an option to ignore it, but I wouldn't run without ticking the box, as it will give you some idea of whether you're going to transfer potential problems with the clone.

If it does fail, stop, and we'll cross that bridge if we have to.

>> I'm not sure which screen you're currently on, but if it's the one that I think, make sure that none of the partitions on the original disk are selected (ticked), and/or that the "copy selected partitions when I click next" near the bottom is unticked or greyed out.

I am here but all the partitions in the original disk are individually ticked but it wont let me untick them? (The disk itself isn't ticked)

And the "Copy selected partitions" at the bottom is ticked and it is greyed out?
Right, then I think I must be misunderstanding the nature of those settings at this point (rather than the point before you've actually moved stuff across - as I say, I've done this in the past, but my current reference point is the documentation).

Just go with the flow, don't worry about those settings, and continue the script with the "Advanced Options".

Good luck!
see my little additional post just above, Bobby. I realised it was ambiguous. ;-)
I have done the following:

>>- Click on "Advanced options" and make sure that the "Perform an Intelligent Sector copy", "Verify File system" and "Enable SSD Trim" are all checked.
- Click on OK
- Click on "Next"

and it did nothing for a while and then a window has popped up with "Backup save options" - do I press OK or have I done something wrong (the screen behind it seems to be my original screen with the source disk showing as the 4 partitions and the destination disk all greyed and an option to Clone this disk showing??
Hope this makes sense against that screen:

"Run this backup now" needs to be ticked.

"Save Backup....." etc. doesn't need to be ticked, but if you do it will save the clone parameters to the filename you enter (In the nominated folder) for potential future running. I'm not sure it adds a lot of value in this case, but your choice - either untick, or supply a name in the box.

Then "OK".

(You might get a warning then that a disk is going to get overwritten - if it's C: or D: then panic ;-) but, in fact, with you cloning to a new disk I don't think you'll see this, and the clone process will just start).
OK I'm really not convinced about this at all - here is a photo of where I am at
It looks to me tha tthis is wanting to do a backup of my drive to my C Drive?

www.dropbox.com/s/jpfqd55rm94brlv/Photo%203.jpg?dl=0
The term "Run this Backup Now" is misleading - Macrium does clones, backups, images and doesn't change that text depending on which it's doing.

You have definitely set up a clone, and will be running one.

The C:/Users/House/ etc. is simply a definition of the destination the parameters get sent to as XML, if you choose to save them, not the destination of the clone.

The fact that the destination SSD (seen behind the little window) is completely blank at this stage looks slightly different to the video demo, but I'm sure that's accounted for by your SSD being as yet uninitialised (the clone will do it) whilst the video is cloning to an already initialised disc (otherwise, it looks the same).

You're good to go.

If by any unlikely chance you've cocked up in the intermediate stage and it thinks you're going to overwrite your C: or D: drive, the next stage will be a popup window, where you can cancel.

Just a thought Bobby, if I'm not too late, and it's probably already been covered... - have you backed up any important data from your laptop to some other external source before you began all this, just in the unlikely event that the worst happens?
OK Clone has started!!! Yippee!
Smokie, yeah I have everything backed up over the last few days.

Now to see if the laptop lasts long enough to do the backup!
Blast, five minutes in and I get

Clone Failed - Error 0
I fear your failing disk may be the problem....

appuals.com/how-to-fix-macrium-reflect-clone-failed-error/
Jeez, lots of possibilities there (as far as I am aware I am only running standard windows defender anti virus).

Think I will go out a run and get some fresh air about me and tackle the next steps when I come back.

Thanks to you all for persevering with me!
>> Jeez, lots of possibilities there (as far as I am aware I am only running
>> standard windows defender anti virus).
>>
>> Think I will go out a run and get some fresh air about me and
>> tackle the next steps when I come back.
>>
>> Thanks to you all for persevering with me!

Ace, gives me the chance to grab some beer and tacos before watching this saga resume.
It was always a possibility, but it is a bummer, and I would suspect the original disk.

I'd like to see whether a specific failure can be associated with that Error "0".

I'll do a bit of searching.

Subject to having done the search, and not found anything specific, the link posted by Mark has two suggestions that might be worthwhile before another attempt:

1. Running CHKDSK on the disk (I referred to this in my magnum opus previously)

2. Setting the advanced options to ignore bad sectors.

(And I'd do both).

Starting the clone again is a repeat of the process we've used already, but the/any partition(s) now present on the SSD should be deleted before doing the drag and drop.

Don't do anything until the Error "0" has been checked.
Speaking only for myself, that would be enough for me.

The trouble with errors on a failing disk is that they can happen at any time. You were lucky in the sense that it was only 5 minutes into the process, it could just have easily been 5 minutes before the end.

I'd say the chances of it happening every time are reasonably high.

I'd probably now abandon the old disk, especially since you said it was backed up, and go for a clean install.

You are unlikely to have drivers issues, but file this away for the future in case you ever need it...

pcsupport.lenovo.com/cl/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-g-series-laptops/lenovo-g580-notebook/20157/downloads/driver-list

If, however, you want to pursue cloning further, then TnE is doing a sterling job so I shall simply sit back and learn.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 4 Mar 21 at 16:19
It would appear that Error "0" often has accompanying text/diagnostics that would focus the research.

Is there any additional info, Bobby?

(And I'm a bit with Mark - this could be a long ride. Not long before a clean install is the order of the day).
Yup, I'd go with the clean install without further ado. Much of my PC is "bits and pieces" but I managed to find drivers for everything - they may not perform optimally but everything is working. Windows 10 does a pretty good job.

Though I expect the system error log will have a, error code which will confirm what we already know - "it's bust" - but very occasionally they give a little more precision.

Of course, it could be something other than the disk (memory, mobo) but the disk is the most likely suspect.

...actually, an issue involving conflicts in VSS is cited as a fairly common occurrence. Having read up, I *might* have a go at diagnosing and fixing if it were my own m/c, and I wasn't working at arm's length, but (if it is that, which is only one possibility) I wouldn't have ultimate confidence in fixing anyway. (And it doesn't pay to overlook the obvious potential effects of an "iffy" disk).
>> Yup, I'd go with the clean install without further ado.

Can I press my ITYSO button yet?
Mind you Z you said mine was an iffy disk and I'm still having the same prob occasionally probs...just with a much larger drive :-)
>>
>> Can I press my ITYSO button yet?
>>

...only if you do a write-up for Bobby on how to do it :-P
OK back in from my run, managed 10 miles in 90 mins which is my longest and fastest run of the year so far!

So the error given is

Clone failed-Error 0 -Read failed- 1117- The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error - Error reading MFT -Error code =2. Please run ‘chkdsk C:/r’
Yup, that's the disk. It's found an error it can't deal with and wants it fixed. One can try to fix it, or try to tell it to ignore it.

Trouble is, if there's one there will be more. And then not only is it more stressful than I would willingly deal with, very likely to fail again, one also starts running into Zero's point about exactly what errors/corruptions are going to be replicated.
I’ll get my screwdriver ..........
That looks like corruption in the master file table.

Chkdsk might just fix it, but it augurs badly for the data consistency anywhere.

In many ways, that's a relief, since I think it indicates bailing out is the best option.

I think it would be best to Clean Install, and I'm well on my way to finishing a write-up that Mark can precis. ;-)

It would, however, be worthwhile running Chkdsk on the HDD, whatever the way ahead. It might keep it limping less for a little bit before we move on.

Easy-Peasy, Bobby

File Explorer
This PC
Right-Click on the C Disk
Properties
Tools
Error Checking
Check Button

Repeat for D Disk

File Explorer
This PC
Right-Click on the C Disk
Properties
Tools
Error Checking
Check Button

Got this running just now. It started saying it would be 3 minutes to do it and now it’s at 1 hour 30 mins....
Increasing time estimates are far from uncommon on many of Microsoft's processes (you ever watched a big network copy?)

If it does take a long time, however, it's another symptom that it (the disk) is far from well.
I simply would not bother. I think it will run for several hours and then either hang or die.

There's not a snowball's chance it's actually going to fix anything.
>> I’ll get my screwdriver ..........
>>

Don't move anything around yet ;-)
Bobby,

when you've got time, can you do this for me (in preparation for a clean install).

===

USB Caddy with SSD plugged in

Hit the windows key and type "diskma" whilst the Menu is displayed (no need to position cursor anywhere)

Select the "Create and format hard disk partitions" menu item that appears.

Maximise the disk management window that appears, and post a picture on dropbox.

===

It will advise how far the clone actually got, and the best way of tidying the SSD.

Not critical, but it will help.
Well, I've had enough for today, and I suspect so has Bobby. I'm happy to pick up tomorrow - I like a challenge :-(

I've had a good think through the clean installation process, and have an (educational and wordy, in Mark's words) overview of my current thoughts ready, and a further, condensed task list largely prepared.

Bobby,

This isn't a working task list - I'll finish that (more concise and less daunting) document tomorrow, and then it can be further précised if necessary. Just take this as explanatory, and don't start anything tonight.

You loose very little opportunity by doing a clean install, as your HDD will remain untouched, but removed, and exchanging back would simply get you back to the current, albeit poor, position.

It would appear that you are well pre-positioned for a clean install of Windows10, having backed up the data, and with your licence associated with your Microsoft account.

Clean installation will give you a good starting point for a rebuild, and should cope with most (hopefully all) driver requirements during the process. Win 10 is good at that. There may be a requirement to find and install a small number after installation, however Lenovo drivers are readily accessible, but there are no Win10 drivers for that machine, so there is a very small chance you might have to try a previous release. I really don't expect big (or even any) issues though.

If you play Movie DVDs on the machine, we'll have to find a workaround, but there is an easy one (for later, if required)

Before you start, it is sensible to assess (with your current laptop) all the applications you currently have installed, decide which ones will still be required, and assess your means of re-installing them (especially paid-for ones - where hopefully you will still have installation media and product keys). I tend to make a working list which advises the process after the new installation of Windows is complete. Remember, for example, if you have Office it isn't a core part of Windows.

I would strongly recommend you use Windows installation media from the Microsoft website I've already mentioned. It is of known quality, up to date, safe, free and legal.

The creation of a Windows install USB might really be best carried out on another machine as yours has issues, but the final delivery is verified after creation, so you should be safe on the laptop if you have to.

You download the "Media Creation Tool" from the Microsoft website, which will subsequently ask you which version of Win10 you want, Home/Pro/X32/X64, etc (or a combination of these, the number of questions varies over the years). Make sure you select in accordance with the current laptop install, but also nominate that you want installation files "for a different PC" (not "this PC"), since this is what causes a USB install key to be created. You follow the prompts, give it a USB stick, and let it chug away downloading, creating the USB, and ultimately verifying the contents. You can safely eject the USB at the end of the process (it will tell you when it's finished).

I'd prefer to install to an unpartitioned and empty SSD, so, whilst it is still in the caddy, and your current Windows is still working we should use Diskmgt under Windows to check and remove any partitions the failed clone made on it. (I'm fairly sure you can do this during installation, but I can't picture the step).

Having done that, you remove the existing HDD, and install the SSD using the instructions in the user manual I linked to. (You will probably have to re-use any disk to cage screws if there are any - you patently do need to re-use cage to laptop screws).

That's the preparation phase.

With that complete and the laptop on mains power, you then want to insert the USB, and subsequently boot from it. To do this, you will probably need to either enter BIOS and change the boot priorities or, if you're lucky, hitting F12 whilst starting up will allow you to access the boot menu, and select the USB (and it won't show the USB as an option if not already inserted). It *may* show two boot options for the USB, one labelled with "UEFI" and one not. I think (given the SSD is now initialised as MBR (rather than GPT) in line with the HDD, you should choose the non-UEFI option if there is a choice.

It is then a matter of following all the prompts during the installation.

As I've said elsewhere, MS now make it very difficult to install Win10 without a Microsoft account. The only real downside of this if you already have one associated with the m/c is that it will create your "User" folder with the first 5 characters of your Microsoft account. Probably not too bad if you have an account "bobbyxxxxxxxx.yyyyyyy@hotmail.com" but rather less helpful if you chose "L___xxxxxx.yyyy@hotmail.co.uk" for your MS account name (people have done similar, and are complaining). That Win10 user folder name is not at all easy to change (safely) once set, so be careful.

(There is one remaining workaround for the above, which I have used within the last month, and can update you on if necessary - it allows you to install with a local account (say "bobby") and subsequently associate a MS account with it - allowing you to select your own username and folder name, and retaining the latter).

At some point in the installation process, it will ask for the product key. Ignore that and select the "I haven't got a product key" option. That allows for future activation, either automatically when it recognises the machine at final start up, or by troubleshooting activation via the MS account if that doesn't happen.

It will chug on through the installation process until it reboots a final time, and you have a clean, but base install. Best to do a quick check through device manager that it's found all the drivers (WIN10 is good, but sometimes fails with the odd one - Googling will usually find a way of fixing that). At that point it's also best to check the activation status, and if it isn't "activated with a digital key linked to your Microsoft account", go through activation troubleshooting to fix it.

Then, it's reinstall required apps, get the data back on and re-do all your customisations.

(Depending on how the BIOS works, you might have to make a slight change to the boot definitions if it hasn't automatically adjusted for the fact that it is now the SSD).
>> Well, I've had enough for today, and I suspect so has Bobby. I'm happy to
>> pick up tomorrow - I like a challenge :-(

I'll get back to east enders on TV then.

>>
>> I'll get back to east enders on TV then.
>>

...well, that's confirmed one thing, then.....
>>
>> >>
>> >> I'll get back to east enders on TV then.
>> >>
>>
>> ...well, that's confirmed one thing, then.....

Like you needed confirmation.
Thanks TnE take the rest of the night off !

I left the laptop to do that disk check whilst I had my dinner and came back to a grey screen which it has been doing from time to time if the mouse hasn’t been wiggled.

I’ll try and get it back to life and to do the SSD check that you asked further up.

Tomorrow realistically it will probably be evening before I can commit uninterrupted time to it. Will update though with any results in due course.

Once again, thanks for your ( and everyone else’s ) help.
Thanks, Bobby.

Give up on the Chkdsk.

There is no rush, I can hone the install instructions in the interim. (And I'm now happier that I can script most of it without just relying on unrefreshed memory)

That disk thing would be useful, though, as, if it hasn't got as far as cloning/creating a recovery partition on the SSD, cleaning up is rather easier (and less to write up ;-) )

(Recovery partitions are more messy to delete than others)
Disk Management Photo

www.dropbox.com/s/n402vjgfn9d5x22/Disk%20Management.jpg?dl=0
Thanks Bobby, that will make things rather easier (and marginally safer) than it might have been. :-)
You are currently on Windows 10, though, aren't you?

I think you mentioned an upgrade somewhere upthread, and the digital licence rather reinforces that, but the disk partition names imply Win7 - though they are 99.9% certain to be names carried over from the factory.

I just don't want to assume - I've been caught out before!
Yeah upgraded to Win 10 while back but Win7 would have been on it from the factory I guess
Ok, I've had a good breakfast, exercised the dogs, got a days supplies (crisps, mini pork pies tins of iced coffee - do I need some red bull, is this going to be a late nighter?) by the chair

Bring it on.

Ready for season 2 episode 1 of the box set......
This thread has got rather too long, I'm starting another one with an obvious title......
Breaking Bobby?
Zero entertainment......

>>(crisps, mini pork pies tins of iced coffee - do I need some red bull, is this going to be a late nighter?)

I think you should probably double your supplies.
>> >>(crisps, mini pork pies tins of iced coffee - do I need some red bull,
>> is this going to be a late nighter?)
>>
>> I think you should probably double your supplies.

I have to say season 2 is rubbish compared to the action packed season 1, its a very slow starter
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 5 Mar 21 at 18:29
Latest Forum Posts