Computer Related > Curious cables Miscellaneous
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 8

Curious cables - borasport
Time to clear out the box of computer 'spares' - currently in the bin or up on freecycle are the joystick (not played any sort of game in five years or so), 56k dial up modem, assorted parallel printer cables, PCI network card ,etc,etc

I've found 2 cables I can't identify a function for, so I'm reluctant to get rid at the moment. They have a standard USB connector at one end, and the other end looks like a mini-usb but isn't - it is the same shape, but not quite the same size (won't fit a mini-usb slot), the metal plating only covers 3 sides, the longest side being bare plastic with two small grooves.
Anyone recognise them from the description ? They've come out of a box I haven't opened for 2 years so they are obviously not crucial, but I know if they go in the bin, then next week I'll find whatever it is that beolngs to them

Curious cables - Stuartli
Any clues here?

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=5&t=2873
 Curious cables - bathtub tom
Keep one and bin the t'other?
 Curious cables - Zero
Some cameras, video and still, had a unique "b" end. Its probably one of them?
Is this the type of USB connection you mean?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Popport.jpg

(from: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Types_of_USB_connectors)
 Curious cables - rtj70
He did say it looked like a mini USB so our guess is it's one of the Micro USB cables or even a proprietary cable for a camera or similar. I doubt it's a Nokia Pop-Port connector or he'd have known what it was ;-)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Usb_connectors.JPG

The two on the left are both Micro USB connectors. The left most used on phones and the other cameras etc.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 18 Sep 10 at 23:10
 Curious cables - borasport
They are none of the above, and I have worked out what they are for. About 5 years ago we bought some cheap mp3 players from Asda, and these are the prorietary cables for them.
As the players went in the bin a long time ago, the cables can now follow
Thanks for that information - the guessing game fun is over...:-(
 Curious cables - Victorbox
>> Time to clear out the box of computer 'spares' - currently in the bin or up on freecycle

Hopefully the electrical recycling bin (skip) at your local council dump?
Latest Forum Posts